A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 05:45 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
Anyone here that is from Chicago probably knows who the State Street Preacher is. He stands on the sidewalk on State Street in the heart of downtown Chicago with his microphone and speaker, where he spews hatred for anyone and everyone that is not in line with his beliefs. It's "You better follow my way or you're an evil person doomed to hell!"

His favorite target to spew his hatred at is gays. He rants up and down about how gays are evil, and they are all going to hell. He even goes as far as specifically targeting people that walk by and making comments like "This guy here is a fag and headed straight for hell!"

So, I wasn't aware of this until recently, but around a month ago, this man was attacked while he was ranting his usual hateful speech. The thing that really infuriates me is that this asshole has actually been made out to look like an unfortunate victim. Now, we all know damn well that if this were some white dude preaching hatred against blacks, shouting the n-word and saying that all blacks are just lazy criminals, nobody would have any sympathy for this man, and everyone would agree that he got what he deserved. However, because he is using his RELIGIOUS beliefs to preach hatred, then all of a sudden it's a shame that somebody went and did that to him. Here is a video and article that makes him look like a helpless victim forgiving his attackers:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/state-street...ive/74069/

The fact that people actually feel sorry for this man and that the media will just overlook the fact that he does nothing but spew hatred all day is a perfect example of the free pass that religion is given. He gets to preach his hatred all he wants, and then get portrayed by the media as some loving Christian forgiving his attackers. What a fucking joke.

ADDITION: Since it has become obvious that I need to state my point again, in order to hammer home my point, I will do so:

My point in this post is that hatred done because of religious beliefs gets a free pass, while other forms of hatred are criticized for what they are. This news article and video are an example of this. Let me put it like this if it makes people understand it better:

Situation A: A religious man stands on the street with a microphone and speaker preaching hatred toward those who do not share his beliefs, and particularly homosexuals, and even goes as far as personally insulting people as they walk by on the street.

Situation B: A man stands on the street with a microphone and speaker preaching hatred toward black people, repeatedly using the n-word, and calling black people inferior, worthless criminals.

The man preaching hatred in Situation A was attacked while preaching his hatred. The media, when reporting it, does not make any mention of him constantly preaching hatred on the street. They only mention that he is a religious preacher, and say that he forgives those that attacked him.

Now, if the man in Situation B were attacked while preaching his hatred toward black people, do you think that the media would leave out the fact that he got attacked while preaching hatred against black people? Hell fucking no they wouldn't!

This is NOT about condoning assault! The question is why does the man preaching hatred in Situation A get a free pass, having no mention of his hateful preaching in the report by the media? We sure as hell know the media would NEVER fail to mention that the man in Situation B preaches hatred against black people all the time, and was attacked while preaching that hatred.

Do you get what I'm saying now? Assault is never right. It's also never right to allow one person who preaches hatred against others to have a free pass and not be criticized for it because he is doing it for religious reasons, while others who preach hatred for reasons other than religion get the criticism they deserve.

I hope this clarifies my point.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
24-06-2014, 07:35 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
It's shocking how most religious people have no idea how privileged they are.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 6 users Like Winterwolf00's post
24-06-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives
It's funny how we seem to give religious people more of a pass to do horrible things in public than we do children and people who are mentally deficient.

Funny in that horribly sad and infuriating way.
[+] 7 users Like CleverUsername's post
24-06-2014, 08:12 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
A different stranger should clock this moron in the face every day until the police, or the deranged christian, finally give up on the whole thing.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 5 users Like Timber1025's post
24-06-2014, 08:15 AM
(24-06-2014 08:12 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  A different stranger should clock this moron in the face every day until the police, or the deranged christian, finally give up on the whole thing.

I'd volunteer.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
24-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm wondering if no one ever reported him for noise violations. He's allowed all his speech, but a speaker and microphone require a permit and have certain limitations on content.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
24-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Maybe someone should stand in front of him with their own microphone and PA system and quote some Sylvia Plath's poetry at him?
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
24-06-2014, 10:22 AM
He's been there for 45 years? Gasp That alone speaks volumes about the free pass. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
24-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I grew up in NWI and I've heard of this guy, I take him about as seriously as I do Ronnie Woo Woo. Laughat
Frankly I'm surprised this doesn't happen on a daily basis.
I was expecting the story to be from Fox News and I'm a little disappointed with ABC for their spin on this.
That said, it's probably a ratings issue for them, they don't want to offend the christian viewers and lose their advertising bucks.
Sadly, the christians enjoy their safety in numbers status, at least for now, by being able to pressure certain areas of the public into bending to their will.
This is bullshit, and I hope this story backfires on the preacher, possibly causing him to lose his permit due to public safety issues.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
24-06-2014, 10:34 AM
(24-06-2014 07:33 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Anyone here that is from Chicago probably knows who the State Street Preacher is. He stands on the sidewalk on State Street in the heart of downtown Chicago with his microphone and speaker, where he spews hatred for anyone and everyone that is not in line with his beliefs. It's "You better follow my way or you're an evil person doomed to hell!"

His favorite target to spew his hatred at is gays. He rants up and down about how gays are evil, and they are all going to hell. He even goes as far as specifically targeting people that walk by and making comments like "This guy here is a fag and headed straight for hell!"

So, I wasn't aware of this until recently, but around a month ago, this man was attacked while he was ranting his usual hateful speech. The thing that really infuriates me is that this asshole has actually been made out to look like an unfortunate victim. Now, we all know damn well that if this were some white dude preaching hatred against blacks, shouting the n-word and saying that all blacks are just lazy criminals, nobody would have any sympathy for this man, and everyone would agree that he got what he deserved. However, because he is using his RELIGIOUS beliefs to preach hatred, then all of a sudden it's a shame that somebody went and did that to him. Here is a video and article that makes him look like a helpless victim forgiving his attackers:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/state-street...ive/74069/

The fact that people actually feel sorry for this man and that the media will just overlook the fact that he does nothing but spew hatred all day is a perfect example of the free pass that religion is given. He gets to preach his hatred all he wants, and then get portrayed by the media as some loving Christian forgiving his attackers. What a fucking joke.

Nah its no joke. You can't physically assault somebody in America because they say gays are going to hell.

That would be like a bunch of Muslims beating you down for saying there is no God.

Both are exercises of free speech.

Disagreeing with what someone says, even if you are offended is not justification for putting your hands on them and assaulting them.

If you have a problem with this, write your congressmen.
[+] 2 users Like Jeremy E Walker's post