A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 10:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:33 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Anyone here that is from Chicago probably knows who the State Street Preacher is. He stands on the sidewalk on State Street in the heart of downtown Chicago with his microphone and speaker, where he spews hatred for anyone and everyone that is not in line with his beliefs. It's "You better follow my way or you're an evil person doomed to hell!"

His favorite target to spew his hatred at is gays. He rants up and down about how gays are evil, and they are all going to hell. He even goes as far as specifically targeting people that walk by and making comments like "This guy here is a fag and headed straight for hell!"

So, I wasn't aware of this until recently, but around a month ago, this man was attacked while he was ranting his usual hateful speech. The thing that really infuriates me is that this asshole has actually been made out to look like an unfortunate victim. Now, we all know damn well that if this were some white dude preaching hatred against blacks, shouting the n-word and saying that all blacks are just lazy criminals, nobody would have any sympathy for this man, and everyone would agree that he got what he deserved. However, because he is using his RELIGIOUS beliefs to preach hatred, then all of a sudden it's a shame that somebody went and did that to him. Here is a video and article that makes him look like a helpless victim forgiving his attackers:

http://abc7chicago.com/news/state-street...ive/74069/

The fact that people actually feel sorry for this man and that the media will just overlook the fact that he does nothing but spew hatred all day is a perfect example of the free pass that religion is given. He gets to preach his hatred all he wants, and then get portrayed by the media as some loving Christian forgiving his attackers. What a fucking joke.

Nah its no joke. You can't physically assault somebody in America because they say gays are going to hell.

That would be like a bunch of Muslims beating you down for saying there is no God.

Both are exercises of free speech.

Disagreeing with what someone says, even if you are offended is not justification for putting your hands on them and assaulting them.

If you have a problem with this, write your congressmen.
I don't believe he was calling for that.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 10:36 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 10:03 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Maybe someone should stand in front of him with their own microphone and PA system and quote some Sylvia Plath's poetry at him?

which would be their right under the law.

What you cannot do is assault someone physically because they are saying something that offends you.
24-06-2014, 10:39 AM
(24-06-2014 10:36 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 10:03 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Maybe someone should stand in front of him with their own microphone and PA system and quote some Sylvia Plath's poetry at him?

What you cannot do is assault someone physically because they are saying something that offends you.

Again, he was not calling for that so I can only wonder who you're trying to correct.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
24-06-2014, 10:39 AM
If you do not like living in a country that is predominately Christian, you have the choice of moving to a country that is not.
24-06-2014, 10:42 AM
(24-06-2014 07:33 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Anyone here that is from Chicago probably knows who the State Street Preacher is. He stands on the sidewalk on State Street in the heart of downtown Chicago with his microphone and speaker, where he spews hatred for anyone and everyone that is not in line with his beliefs. It's "You better follow my way or you're an evil person doomed to hell!"

His favorite target to spew his hatred at is gays. He rants up and down about how gays are evil, and they are all going to hell. He even goes as far as specifically targeting people that walk by and making comments like "This guy here is a fag and headed straight for hell!"

So, I wasn't aware of this until recently, but around a month ago, this man was attacked while he was ranting his usual hateful speech. The thing that really infuriates me is that this asshole has actually been made out to look like an unfortunate victim. Now, we all know damn well that if this were some white dude preaching hatred against blacks, shouting the n-word and saying that all blacks are just lazy criminals, nobody would have any sympathy for this man, and everyone would agree that he got what he deserved. However, because he is using his RELIGIOUS beliefs to preach hatred, then all of a sudden it's a shame that somebody went and did that to him. Here is a video and article that makes him look like a helpless victim forgiving his attackers:

The fact that people actually feel sorry for this man and that the media will just overlook the fact that he does nothing but spew hatred all day is a perfect example of the free pass that religion is given. He gets to preach his hatred all he wants, and then get portrayed by the media as some loving Christian forgiving his attackers. What a fucking joke.

Nah its no joke. You can't physically assault somebody in America because they say gays are going to hell.

That would be like a bunch of Muslims beating you down for saying there is no God.

Disagreeing with what someone says, even if you are offended is not justification for putting your hands on them and assaulting them.

The rape apologist and homosexual bigot defending hate speech. Now there's a shocker. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
24-06-2014, 10:43 AM
(24-06-2014 10:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you do not like living in a country that is predominately Christian, you have the choice of moving to a country that is not.

I don't think you understand the topic of this thread.

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
24-06-2014, 10:46 AM
(24-06-2014 10:36 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

Thanks. That will come in useful next time I visit America.

Note to self: Quoting Sylvia Plath's poetry is not considered assault.
24-06-2014, 11:10 AM
(24-06-2014 10:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you do not like living in a country that is predominately Christian, you have the choice of moving to a country that is not.

I'd rather stay and help repair the damage it's caused.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
24-06-2014, 11:13 AM
(24-06-2014 10:46 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Note to self: Quoting Sylvia Plath's poetry is not considered assault.

You'd have to quote Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings' poetry to warrant a charge of assault.

I think a competing loudspeaker system insufficiently thought through. We have the technology today to set up a NOISE CANCELLING system adjacent. Something like that, turning the intersection into an oasis of 10db whisper would be far more appreciated.

Anyway, don't municipalities have ordinances forbidding verbal provocation? Disturbing the peace? But I guess that's the entire point here - if the abuse is religious, it isn't abuse.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
24-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Jeremy is spot on this time.

I don't afford him a lot of my sympathy, but he was a victim. No one, under any circumstances, should be assaulted provided they are obeying the law and a harm to no one. Unfortunately hateful bigoted religious asshole shouting his nonsense fits squarely in that category of people who should never be assaulted.