A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 11:18 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 11:16 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 10:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Nah its no joke. You can't physically assault somebody in America because they say gays are going to hell.

That would be like a bunch of Muslims beating you down for saying there is no God.

Both are exercises of free speech.

Disagreeing with what someone says, even if you are offended is not justification for putting your hands on them and assaulting them.

If you have a problem with this, write your congressmen.

Jeremy is spot on this time.

I don't afford him a lot of my sympathy, but he was a victim. No one, under any circumstances, should be assaulted provided they are obeying the law and a harm to no one. Unfortunately hateful bigoted religious asshole shouting his nonsense fits squarely in that category of people who should never be assaulted.
The news article should tell it like it is and not make the guy look like he's just an innocent victim. Yes, we have free speech, and yes, people should not be assaulted for it. But, when it's obvious that they guy was spewing hatred for 45 years, that should not be whitewashed in the article. THAT's what is most wrong with this.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-06-2014, 11:22 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 10:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you do not like living in a country that is predominately Christian, you have the choice of moving to a country that is not.

Or we can exercise our own rights to free speech and participation in the political process to reduce the power and influence of the christian institutions.

I hate it when people say that. It's not your fucking country. It's my home too.
[+] 5 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
24-06-2014, 11:23 AM
(24-06-2014 11:18 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:16 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Jeremy is spot on this time.

I don't afford him a lot of my sympathy, but he was a victim. No one, under any circumstances, should be assaulted provided they are obeying the law and a harm to no one. Unfortunately hateful bigoted religious asshole shouting his nonsense fits squarely in that category of people who should never be assaulted.
The news article should tell it like it is and not make the guy look like he's just an innocent victim. Yes, we have free speech, and yes, people should not be assaulted for it. But, when it's obvious that they guy was spewing hatred for 45 years, that should not be whitewashed in the article. THAT's what is most wrong with this.

I understand where you are coming from and sympathize strongly. Unfortunately blaming the victim is never ok no matter who it is. That would be blaming the victim. The true story is a man was insulted for exercising his right to free speech.
24-06-2014, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 11:36 AM by Impulse.)
(24-06-2014 11:23 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:18 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The news article should tell it like it is and not make the guy look like he's just an innocent victim. Yes, we have free speech, and yes, people should not be assaulted for it. But, when it's obvious that they guy was spewing hatred for 45 years, that should not be whitewashed in the article. THAT's what is most wrong with this.

I understand where you are coming from and sympathize strongly. Unfortunately blaming the victim is never ok no matter who it is. That would be blaming the victim. The true story is a man was insulted for exercising his right to free speech.
I don't think anyone is blaming the victim. The point is half the story was left out. While his hate speech may not justify the assault, it IS a significant detail that was omitted. It's an obvious motive regardless of whether it is right or wrong and it's telling that the author of the article didn't find it important enough to include.

Edit:
That should have been obvious possible motive.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
24-06-2014, 11:34 AM
A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gi...
(24-06-2014 10:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you do not like living in a country that is predominately Christian, you have the choice of moving to a country that is not.

Or a country where there's separation of church and state.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 5 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
24-06-2014, 11:35 AM
A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gi...
(24-06-2014 11:22 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

Or we can exercise our own rights to free speech and participation in the political process to reduce the power and influence of the christian institutions.

I hate it when people say that. It's not your fucking country. It's my home too.

This. [Image: dy5upepu.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
24-06-2014, 11:36 AM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society
The man would have been arrested in the UK. Make of that what you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech...ed_Kingdom

Quote: A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or

(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

Offences under Part 3 carry a maximum sentence of seven years imprisonment or a fine or both

Quote:On 13 October 2001, Harry Hammond, an evangelist, was arrested and charged under section 5 of the Public Order Act (1986) because he had displayed to people in Bournemouth a large sign bearing the words "Jesus Gives Peace, Jesus is Alive, Stop Immorality, Stop Homosexuality, Stop Lesbianism, Jesus is Lord". In April 2002, a magistrate convicted Hammond, fined him £300, and ordered him to pay costs of £395
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
24-06-2014, 11:37 AM
(24-06-2014 11:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:23 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I understand where you are coming from and sympathize strongly. Unfortunately blaming the victim is never ok no matter who it is. That would be blaming the victim. The true story is a man was insulted for exercising his right to free speech.
I don't think anyone is blaming the victim. The point is half the story was left out. While his hate speech may not justify the assault, it IS a significant detail that was omitted. It's an obvious motive regardless of whether it is right or wrong and it's telling that the author of the article didn't find it important enough to include.

I see your point. I think the danger is that many people would feel the assault is justified given that information. Although, perhaps it is not the job of the media to shelter facts from the public so they will arrive at the proper conclusion Undecided . I can certainly appreciate the hypocrisy. If it were an atheist that would be part of the headline "Atheist feels the wrath of god at the end of christian's fists" or something Facepalm .
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
24-06-2014, 11:43 AM
(24-06-2014 11:37 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I don't think anyone is blaming the victim. The point is half the story was left out. While his hate speech may not justify the assault, it IS a significant detail that was omitted. It's an obvious motive regardless of whether it is right or wrong and it's telling that the author of the article didn't find it important enough to include.

I see your point. I think the danger is that many people would feel the assault is justified given that information. Although, perhaps it is not the job of the media to shelter facts from the public so they will arrive at the proper conclusion Undecided . I can certainly appreciate the hypocrisy. If it were an atheist that would be part of the headline "Atheist feels the wrath of god at the end of christian's fists" or something Facepalm .
I also understand the point about free speech and I am all for it's protection. And you're probably right that many people would feel the assault is justified. I agree too that it isn't the job of the media to withhold facts to control what people will or won't conclude. I think it is the job of the media to report everything they know if they are going to publish a story in the first place.

24-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately at this time he has ever right to stand on the corner and be a dick. Just like Westboro has the right to stand on their street corner.

We can't start being speech police. Who would be the person who ran that operation. Where would it appropriate language end and inappropriate begin?

Violence is never an okay reaction to something like this. I'd be all for getting a group of people down there and drowning him out, or a silent protest response.