A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 01:44 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:35 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  It's shocking how most religious people have no idea how privileged they are.

They'll ignore that while screaming persecution. I was talking to some Baptists who were going on how terrible they have it here in the states. I asked them how they felt like persecuted minorities when 75% of the nation is Christian. Apart from a handful of anti-Christian anecdotes they produced, one of them scoffed at my figure and told me he had a bridge to sell me if I believed 75% of Americans were Christian. I showed him some recent polls, and his answer was that only 10-20% of Americans were Christian; the rest were not true Scotsmen Christians.

They don't see their privilege because they go out of their way to convince themselves that they're victims.

Perhaps this is one case in which they should be proven right.
Not so much persecuted, but take away their V.I.P. status for cryin' out loud.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2014, 01:53 PM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 01:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:16 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Jeremy is spot on this time.

I don't afford him a lot of my sympathy, but he was a victim. No one, under any circumstances, should be assaulted provided they are obeying the law and a harm to no one. Unfortunately hateful bigoted religious asshole shouting his nonsense fits squarely in that category of people who should never be assaulted.

No, he's not spot on. He's showing his Christian hypocrisy. I'm surprised that you completely missed the point of my post. I did not, in any way, condone physical violence. I said that it is bullshit that a guy who preaches hate for religious reasons gets to be made out to look like some loving Christian, while other people who preach hate speech like racism against black people and got attacked would NEVER get portrayed by the media as some nice, caring person who was randomly attacked for no reason. THAT is the point! The fact that religious hate gets special treatment instead of being criticized for what it is.

Jeremy is far from spot on. He twisted my words, and he has only proven himself to be nothing less than a complete hypocrite throughout this thread.

Read the first post again...

Thumbsup Because *liking* this isn't enough.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-06-2014, 01:56 PM
(24-06-2014 01:49 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 01:44 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  They'll ignore that while screaming persecution. I was talking to some Baptists who were going on how terrible they have it here in the states. I asked them how they felt like persecuted minorities when 75% of the nation is Christian. Apart from a handful of anti-Christian anecdotes they produced, one of them scoffed at my figure and told me he had a bridge to sell me if I believed 75% of Americans were Christian. I showed him some recent polls, and his answer was that only 10-20% of Americans were Christian; the rest were not true Scotsmen Christians.

They don't see their privilege because they go out of their way to convince themselves that they're victims.

Perhaps this is one case in which they should be proven right.
Not so much persecuted, but take away their V.I.P. status for cryin' out loud.

Churches should really be paying taxes, just like every other business.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
24-06-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 02:18 PM by pablo.)
A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
Oops.
24-06-2014, 02:15 PM
(24-06-2014 10:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  That would be like a bunch of Muslims beating you down for saying there is no God.

I noticed you used muslims rather than christians for your beat-down example.
Nice dodge.

We don't know the assault was committed by atheists, maybe it was xtians who didn't like him using xtianity for his hate. Or scientologists, everyone knows they're nuts! Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
24-06-2014, 02:25 PM
(24-06-2014 10:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  That would be like a bunch of Muslims beating you down for saying there is no God.

Those wouldn't be 'True Muslims' if they did that.

This man shouldn't have been assaulted. However, when you put out a certain vibe, you attract like-minded people. Rage, hatred, and prejudice are powerful negative emotions. It's not surprising that his message eventually incited violence. When I played metal and (surprisingly) country music shows, I saw lots of violence. Now that I play upbeat 80s music, I rarely see an altercation in the crowd.

This guy... was not playing 80s music.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 4 users Like guitar_nut's post
24-06-2014, 02:46 PM
(24-06-2014 01:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 11:16 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Jeremy is spot on this time.

I don't afford him a lot of my sympathy, but he was a victim. No one, under any circumstances, should be assaulted provided they are obeying the law and a harm to no one. Unfortunately hateful bigoted religious asshole shouting his nonsense fits squarely in that category of people who should never be assaulted.

No, he's not spot on. He's showing his Christian hypocrisy. I'm surprised that you completely missed the point of my post. I did not, in any way, condone physical violence. I said that it is bullshit that a guy who preaches hate for religious reasons gets to be made out to look like some loving Christian, while other people who preach hate speech like racism against black people and got attacked would NEVER get portrayed by the media as some nice, caring person who was randomly attacked for no reason. THAT is the point! The fact that religious hate gets special treatment instead of being criticized for what it is.

Jeremy is far from spot on. He twisted my words, and he has only proven himself to be nothing less than a complete hypocrite throughout this thread.

At one point the racists -were- the "good christian folks". Remember? It took time for that to be frowned on by the majority and it will take time for this to change.
24-06-2014, 02:57 PM
(24-06-2014 02:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 01:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  No, he's not spot on. He's showing his Christian hypocrisy. I'm surprised that you completely missed the point of my post. I did not, in any way, condone physical violence. I said that it is bullshit that a guy who preaches hate for religious reasons gets to be made out to look like some loving Christian, while other people who preach hate speech like racism against black people and got attacked would NEVER get portrayed by the media as some nice, caring person who was randomly attacked for no reason. THAT is the point! The fact that religious hate gets special treatment instead of being criticized for what it is.

At one point the racists -were- the "good christian folks". Remember? It took time for that to be frowned on by the majority and it will take time for this to change.

The racists mostly still are the "good Christian folks". The Bible Belt is by far and wide the most racist part of the U.S.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
24-06-2014, 02:59 PM
(24-06-2014 02:57 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 02:46 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  At one point the racists -were- the "good christian folks". Remember? It took time for that to be frowned on by the majority and it will take time for this to change.

The racists mostly still are the "good Christian folks". The Bible Belt is by far and wide the most racist part of the U.S.

Well Education and intelligence are inversely correlated with religion so...

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
24-06-2014, 02:59 PM
(24-06-2014 01:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 10:39 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If you do not like living in a country that is predominately Christian, you have the choice of moving to a country that is not.

If only it were that simple.

So by your example a theist on a predominately atheist forum should move to a forum that is more in line with his belief?

So...

Shoo fly!

If theists come here and complain about how they are treated then yes they should leave.

Personally I am offended by nothing anyone says here so I would never leave this forum for that reason.