A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 07:11 PM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 07:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:03 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Yes. That was easy.

Can I ask you another question?

Sure, but please get to the point with it.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
24-06-2014, 07:23 PM
RE: A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
(24-06-2014 07:11 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Can I ask you another question?

Sure, but please get to the point with it.

Thank you.

When it comes to semantic theories within meta-ethics, are you a cognitivist, or non-cognitivist?

Below are summations of each for reference:

These theories mainly put forward a position on the question, "What is the meaning of moral terms or judgments?"

Cognitivist theories hold that evaluative moral sentences express propositions (that is, they are "truth apt" or "truth bearers", capable of being true or false), as opposed to non-cognitivism.

Non-cognitivist theories hold that ethical sentences are neither true nor false because they do not express genuine propositions. Non-cognitivism is another form of moral anti-realism. Most forms of non-cognitivism are also forms of expressivism, however some such as Mark Timmons and Terrence Horgan distinguish the two and allow the possibility of cognitivist forms of expressivism
24-06-2014, 07:32 PM
"And the Guhhocksuhgohgun is framed up by the ramistan" - Tony Soprano

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
24-06-2014, 07:46 PM
A Perfect Example Of Religious Hate And The Bullshit Free Pass Our Society Gives It
This is why, purely from a stand point of strategy, criticism of hatred and intolerance will need to come from the religious themselves in order to be largely effective. The free pass for the religious cuts both ways and it ought to be exploited by moral believers and moderates.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
24-06-2014, 08:15 PM
(24-06-2014 07:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:11 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Sure, but please get to the point with it.

Thank you.

When it comes to semantic theories within meta-ethics, are you a cognitivist, or non-cognitivist?

These theories mainly put forward a position on the question, "What is the meaning of moral terms or judgments?"

Cognitivist theories hold that evaluative moral sentences express propositions (that is, they are "truth apt" or "truth bearers", capable of being true or false), as opposed to non-cognitivism.

Non-cognitivist theories hold that ethical sentences are neither true nor false because they do not express genuine propositions. Non-cognitivism is another form of moral anti-realism. Most forms of non-cognitivism are also forms of expressivism, however some such as Mark Timmons and Terrence Horgan distinguish the two and allow the possibility of cognitivist forms of expressivism

If you're trying to get at "How does the human brain work in terms of behaviors, emotions, etc.?" there is no particular theory that every scientist agrees on. I don't see the point of this. If you are trying to get at morality, we have had many long discussions on that subject on this forum already. If you want to start another thread discussing this, then by all means, go ahead, because I don't see how that pertains to this thread at all.

[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
24-06-2014, 08:16 PM
(24-06-2014 04:35 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 03:35 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ^^hows that saying go? It's not what you say...

Edited.

I thought I made my point quite clear in the original post, considering that most people seemed to get it. It was only after Jeremy tried to twist my words that some people were saying that I said that it was right for the preacher to be attacked. If I need to clarify this further in my original post, then I will make an addition to it to specify over again what I am saying.

EDIT: Original post has now been added onto to clarify my point even more. I hope this will be enough to get my point across.
My comment was meant for Mr. Walker.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
24-06-2014, 08:29 PM
(24-06-2014 07:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:11 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Sure, but please get to the point with it.

Thank you.

What is it with you and labels? Everybody and every view has to be put in a bucket with a label on it. Try not to label people and see where the conversation goes. It is a distraction as there actually is some middle ground where most, if not all, reside. Stop with the terms and labels (not that they are too complex) and just be a real human with real and honest dialogue.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 5 users Like Timber1025's post
24-06-2014, 08:30 PM
(24-06-2014 08:16 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 04:35 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I thought I made my point quite clear in the original post, considering that most people seemed to get it. It was only after Jeremy tried to twist my words that some people were saying that I said that it was right for the preacher to be attacked. If I need to clarify this further in my original post, then I will make an addition to it to specify over again what I am saying.

EDIT: Original post has now been added onto to clarify my point even more. I hope this will be enough to get my point across.
My comment was meant for Mr. Walker.

Ahhhh! Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying! Smile