A Philosophy Professor Discusses Ayn Rand in his Ethics Class

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 10:16 PM
RE: A Philosophy Professor Discusses Ayn Rand in his Ethics Class
There is either good philosophy or bad philosophy. If it is true to reason and evidence, it is good philosophy, no matter who advocates it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 11:14 AM
(21-02-2013 09:59 PM)Sword of Apollo Wrote:  What are your criteria of what constitutes "real philosophy" and what makes you think Rand doesn't fit in that category?

Well, "real" in the sense of the term, where handing someone a piece of aluminum foil and calling it silver, would not be giving them real silver. So, saying it's not really philosophy at all; it's something else. I was kind of just joking, but our teacher did say something similar about philosophy. I think he just didn't want to make us pay for much material, like a textbook/s, when majority of the actual source material, or older material, is available online free. Free of commentary, and free of payment.

I wouldn't say Rand wasn't doing philosophy, that would be inaccurate, we just never dedicated time to her. I would think the fact that she was using egoism for ethics, would probably make it a good idea to disregard everything, if not just most, of what she said. Also, given that she seemed, from what I can tell, to have established an ideology like Objectivism, in the 20th century (if that would matter), seems like all the grounds you need to disregard her completely. I mean Logical Positivism, was nothing but very interesting, useful junk, so what would that say about an ideology, if it is only somewhat interesting, not very useful and based completely on nonsense?

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Respect for property rights and the principle of non aggression are nonsense?
22-02-2013, 05:56 PM
(22-02-2013 05:34 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Respect for property rights and the principle of non aggression are nonsense?

They're fine - they're just not enough. Her philosophy lack compassion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
22-02-2013, 07:30 PM
"Her philosophy lack compassion."

I could agree if you said Rand lacked compassion. Tongue

But seriously, philosophy can't have compassion... only people can. What exactly do you mean by that?
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
22-02-2013, 07:45 PM
(22-02-2013 07:30 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "Her philosophy lack compassion."

I could agree if you said Rand lacked compassion. Tongue

But seriously, philosophy can't have compassion... only people can. What exactly do you mean by that?
Her philosophy does not include the concept of compassion.

22-02-2013, 07:56 PM
How so?
22-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Reading Rand, I got the impression that she has no interest in the whole "Do not to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." thing... Seemed more 'cold bitch' than anything. Some decent stuff, but a lot of selfish garbage too.

We're all in this together, don't forget that.
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2013, 08:05 PM
(22-02-2013 07:56 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  How so?
Wikipedia Wrote:Rand called her philosophy "Objectivism", describing its essence as "the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

Wikipedia Wrote:In ethics, Rand argued for rational egoism (rational self-interest), as the guiding moral principle. She said the individual should "exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself".

22-02-2013, 08:11 PM
(22-02-2013 08:01 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Reading Rand, I got the impression that she has no interest in the whole "Do not to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." thing... Seemed more 'cold bitch' than anything. Some decent stuff, but a lot of selfish garbage too.

We're all in this together, don't forget that.
That's hard to speak to since you didn't give any specific instances of anything. Chas did the same thing....

That sort of generalized passive aggression is quite common when people formulate a response from emotion rather than from logic.