Poll: On a scale of 1 - 5, with 5 being dead sure, how certain are you that God doesn't exist?
1 - I don't know/care if there is a God or not.
2 - I'm not really sure if a God exists or not.
3 - I'm pretty sure there is no God, but don't quote me on that.
4 - I'm certain there is no God, but not 100% sure.
5 - There is no God. Period.
[Show Results]

A Poll on Views: Take 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Question A Poll on Views: Take 2
Sorry about the first poll and thus possibly spamming of the forum, but I'd like to get this right. The replies I got from the first poll pointed out that I mislabeled/misused words for the categories I made, so I'm gonna try one more time. I'm curious as to how certain people on this forum that there is no God. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.
-George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2011, 10:48 PM
RE: A Poll on Views: Take 2
I hate to keep being that guy...

but I still don't fit into any of these. "I'm certain there is no God, but not 100% sure" doesn't really make any sense.

I'm more of a 3.5

I'm more of a "I believe that the probability of a God existing is extremely low, with the probably being the same for every monotheistic God ever AND the probability that unicorns and fairies started it all."

Plus you'd have to specify WHICH God, and is it a deist or a theist God?

P.S. I'm still high. Don't you just hate me?

P.P.S. I doubt you'll find a single poster on here he is 100% certain that there is no God. That kind of arrogant certainty is only found in religious forums.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Well, actually...according to both of the polls, there are quite a few people on here who are 100% certain that there is no god. I'm one of them, since the "possibility" of one existing (at least in the familiar definition of one as a sentient, singular, creator of all things in existence) is so fantastically ridiculous that to allow for it is the same as allowing that I could e-mail a date request to Angelina Jolie and get this in response; "What took you so long to ask? I'll dump Brad this instant. And should I bring my handcuffs?"

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
20-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Yes but is "100% certain" different from "I believe that it can be proven that no God exists" ? It was my understand that we were more of a "I 100% reject your proof that a god exists" rather than a "God definitely doesn't exist and here's my proof" kind of forum.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
21-05-2011, 12:08 AM
We all define terms in slightly different ways, which always leaves a little room for error and problems in polls like this.
I define certain as 100% knowledge that you can't be wrong about, which is why I don't say that I am certain that God doesn't exist, and I only say that I am certain that my mind exists in some possible form (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am - Decartes.)

I am almost always one point away from "there is no God. Period!" I am fairly sure that the christian, jewish and muslim god concepts (consider them the same being, if you want) don't exist. But I recognise I could be wrong. What would convince me is another matter.
On Richard Dawkins scale of certainty (1 = certain there is god, 4 = agnostic, 7 = certain there isn't) Dawkins and I considered ourselves 6's. That is, we are relatively certain but we could be wrong.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
21-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Obviously I can't speak for everyone else on the forum, BC. I guess where I'm at is that I realize there is a theoretical possibility of "anything" including god, or millions of multiple universes in which one of them might contain a god, but that the probability of it is so remote as to not warrant serious consideration. So I understand a physicist could argue it is impossible to disprove god, but that doesn't make it a reasonable expectation that god could exist. We're talking about infinitesimal probabilities, on the same order that we could be wrong about the theory of gravity. While I can't offer definitive proof that god doesn't exist, I can certainly point to evidence that the gods we have been presented with so far are of human origin. So am I 100% certain that the god as I understand him doesn't exist? Yes. Because I know where he came from. We made him up.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
21-05-2011, 07:12 AM
How about I'm 100% certain that any god described by a man-made religion does not exist?

I still am curious as to why we equate "god" status with "creator." Are the two terms synonymous? Why does "god" always equate with good or moral?

I'm pretty damn sure god doesn't exist, but I'm positive the god any religion describes is false...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-05-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm an agnostic atheist. Agnostic because I do not believe that god can be proven or disproved either way(Hence, there is that level of uncertainty), but atheist also because I also decide to take a stance. I have not seen any acceptable proof for any god, and so I reject the notion that they exist. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty close.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
21-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Hey, Daemonowner.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU!

I have been saying that I am an Agnostic as separate from BOTH Theism and Atheism for as long as I've been here and I'm always shot down based on the Cartesian graph model of Atheist/Theist x-axis, Gnostic/Agnostic y-axis. Then who comes along to support my embattled position? None other than the man, the myth, the legend, Richard "Brilliant Biologist But Bit of a Douche at Times" Dawkins!

I found this elaboration of the Dawkins Scale. I am wholeheartedly and without reservation, a number four.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
21-05-2011, 09:16 AM
But even the Dawkins scale, which I like, is inadequate if you account for the stance I put up above.

I would be a 7 on the Dawkins scale based man-made gods, but a 4 based on the possibility of an actual unknowable creator god that could exist but hasn't revealed itself...???

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user