Poll: On a scale of 1 - 5, with 5 being dead sure, how certain are you that God doesn't exist?
1 - I don't know/care if there is a God or not.
2 - I'm not really sure if a God exists or not.
3 - I'm pretty sure there is no God, but don't quote me on that.
4 - I'm certain there is no God, but not 100% sure.
5 - There is no God. Period.
[Show Results]

A Poll on Views: Take 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2011, 09:49 AM

RE: A Poll on Views: Take 2
On the scale I'm a 5.
There is no god or divine creator.
All the crap I was taught as a catholic has convinced me there is no god.
Ask a christian a straight question about religion and you won't get a straight answer if you even get an answer at all.
Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Heh, no I don't hate you.

It was really supposed to be more straight forward this time. It just asks how certain someone is, for whatever reason, that there is no God, be it the Christian God, the Muslim Allah, whatever god they think about.

Also, 666 likes given. Nice.

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.
-George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2011, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2011 01:51 PM by Efrx86.)
(21-05-2011 08:55 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I have been saying that I am an Agnostic as separate from BOTH Theism and Atheism for as long as I've been here and I'm always shot down based on the Cartesian graph model of Atheist/Theist x-axis, Gnostic/Agnostic y-axis. Then who comes along to support my embattled position? None other than the man, the myth, the legend, Richard "Brilliant Biologist But Bit of a Douche at Times" Dawkins!

I personally prefer the Dawkins scale, but I don't see why you don't fit in that Cartesian Graph.

For some reason, some people interpret the graph as there only being four labels "Atheist Gnostic - Atheist Agnostic - Theist Agnostic - Theist Gnostic", but actually, as this article (from which the cartesian graph of belief in a deity seems to come from, as it doesn't quote anyone and I haven't found any earlier literature of it) puts it, those are simply two common (Atheist Agnostic, Theist Gnostic) and two less common (Theist Agnostic and Atheist Gnostic) positions. It doesn't mean that other positions (like pure, "fence sitting" if you will, agnosticism) don't fit there.

Pure agnosticism like yours would fall on the very top of the Y axis, with X being 0.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
22-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey, Efrx86.

Quote:Pure agnosticism like yours would fall on the very top of the Y axis, with X being 0.

True dat.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I am %200 certain that there is absolutely no possibility that anything exists which would gain the label as I see it. simply the way the world works in itself removes any possibility of a compassionate being. As far as something being a creator and that linking, who the hell cares? If your parents abuse you, you leave. There is absolutely no way there is anything worth any sort of worship. I believe that a higher being would be just that, a higher being, but that does not entitle it to any veneration.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-05-2011, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2011 07:58 PM by Buddy Christ.)
The problem I have with the Dawkins scale and the use of the term "agnostic" is that... well... it's wrong.

noun use of adj. gnostikos "knowing, able to discern,"

The terms "gnostic and "agnostic" stem from a Greek word dealing with the "nature of knowledge."

Independently, it doesn't even refer to religious beliefs. You can be "agnostic" about whether the Holocaust really happened.

The only time Agnostic by itself specifically refers to religion, is if you are in fact A-Gnostic (Being without Gnosticism, which is a set of specific sects believing in religious beliefs emphasizing the spirit, duality, and enlightenment that dates back to pre-christian times). So I reject agnosticism as a stance of "not sure about theism" because it's inaccurate.

Edit: I'm not specifically trying to be a dick, I just think a communal agreement should be made on our accepted vernacular.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-05-2011, 07:19 PM

(20-05-2011 10:48 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  P.P.S. I doubt you'll find a single poster on here he is 100% certain that there is no God. That kind of arrogant certainty is only found in religious forums.

Raises hand in guilt... Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Hey, Buddy.

Dawkins, not Darwin. Richard Dawkins.

And I reject the agnostic/gnostic thing cause it's dumb Tongue Actually I reject it on the basis that it is A position rather than the ONLY position as some here claim.

No communal agreement/soup for you!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-05-2011, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2011 08:01 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(22-05-2011 07:44 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Buddy.

Dawkins, not Darwin. Richard Dawkins.

Fixed.

...and no need to specify WHICH Dawkins. (Jimmy Dawkins?)
(22-05-2011 07:19 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  
(20-05-2011 10:48 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  P.P.S. I doubt you'll find a single poster on here he is 100% certain that there is no God. That kind of arrogant certainty is only found in religious forums.

Raises hand in guilt... Dodgy

How? In that case the whole "prove to me that there is no God" fallacy that theists use actually applies to you. If you are asserting the belief that "a god does not exist" then you are held to the same standards as theists, and must provide proof for this claim or else be rejected by the same merit as "Elvis is still alive" claimers are rejected.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
22-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Little bit late to the Dawkins scale thing, but I don't particularly agree with how Dawkins categorizes. He classifies deism as separate from both theism and atheism, and he puts agnosticism as a middle ground between the two. I usually don't care how people define words, as long they recognize that their definition may not be the same as others, and to look to actual beliefs than labels, but it seems a little but dysfunctional the way he puts it.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!