A Possible Plan to Empower Third Parties

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 10:13 PM
A Possible Plan to Empower Third Parties
I've been pondering a possible way to make people more willing to vote third party (or for an independent candidate). Imagine if candidates could form caucuses to unify their votes. For example, a vote for the Green Party is also a vote for the Democrats, and a vote for the Constitution Party is also a vote for the Republicans. In this system of voting, one candidate received 32 million votes while the other received 37 million, but the former had 12 million other votes for other candidates in their caucus, while the other only had 3 million. Even though the latter candidate received more votes, the former wins.

My logic here stems from my disgust over the presidential election in 2000. In Florida, Ralph Nader received nearly a hundred thousand votes. Of course, 99% of the individuals that voted for Nader would of rather had Gore instead of Bush. With what I'm proposing, votes for Nader would of carried over to Gore, clearing up the controversy easily.

This would provide an easy escape from the two-party dictatorship Americans are living under right now. Am I insane, or am I on to something? Consider Are there any countries with similar systems to this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2013, 11:53 PM
RE: A Possible Plan to Empower Third Parties
(28-12-2013 10:13 PM)Bocaj910 Wrote:  I've been pondering a possible way to make people more willing to vote third party (or for an independent candidate). Imagine if candidates could form caucuses to unify their votes. For example, a vote for the Green Party is also a vote for the Democrats, and a vote for the Constitution Party is also a vote for the Republicans. In this system of voting, one candidate received 32 million votes while the other received 37 million, but the former had 12 million other votes for other candidates in their caucus, while the other only had 3 million. Even though the latter candidate received more votes, the former wins.

My logic here stems from my disgust over the presidential election in 2000. In Florida, Ralph Nader received nearly a hundred thousand votes. Of course, 99% of the individuals that voted for Nader would of rather had Gore instead of Bush. With what I'm proposing, votes for Nader would of carried over to Gore, clearing up the controversy easily.

This would provide an easy escape from the two-party dictatorship Americans are living under right now. Am I insane, or am I on to something? Consider Are there any countries with similar systems to this?

I prefer that third parties are marginalized. The two party system helps create stability.

On a side note about Florida, I found it hilariously ironic that enough elderly Jewish people voted for anti-semite Pat Buchanan in Florida to ensure Bush was president.
29-12-2013, 12:03 AM
RE: A Possible Plan to Empower Third Parties
This is how sane countries do it:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post