A Potential Predicament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 08:32 PM
A Potential Predicament
Some of you might recall that I recently admitted to getting myself in trouble with my compulsive gambling problem. Well, tonight I attended my first Gamblers Anonymous meeting and of course it was held at a baptist church. It wasn't affiliated with the church but God was brought up often and is part of the material and one of the twelve steps involved in the process.

I know it is in my best interest both legally and to get over my addiction to attend these meetings, but I feel like I need to be open about my non belief with my fellow attendees because they open and close with religious talk and prayer.

However, a part of me feels like I should just go through the motions and focus on the rest. I think though that it will eventually come to a point where I'll have to explain why I'm silent during the prayer and why my "higher power" is not God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: A Potential Predicament
You are your own higher power.

You can pray to basically yourself.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-04-2015, 08:41 PM
I assume since it's based on 12 steps they also encourage people to have a 'sponsor'?
Maybe try to get to know a few folks there a little better, you may not be alone in your non-belief.
When the time comes to find a sponsor, you'll be better informed about who has similar beliefs to your own.
The people who are into god won't shut up about it, so they'll be easy to spot.
When you're not praying during the prayer, look around to see who else isn't praying.
Hope this helps, good luck, hope it works out.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-04-2015, 08:12 AM
(20-04-2015 08:32 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Some of you might recall that I recently admitted to getting myself in trouble with my compulsive gambling problem. Well, tonight I attended my first Gamblers Anonymous meeting and of course it was held at a baptist church. It wasn't affiliated with the church but God was brought up often and is part of the material and one of the twelve steps involved in the process.

I know it is in my best interest both legally and to get over my addiction to attend these meetings, but I feel like I need to be open about my non belief with my fellow attendees because they open and close with religious talk and prayer.

However, a part of me feels like I should just go through the motions and focus on the rest. I think though that it will eventually come to a point where I'll have to explain why I'm silent during the prayer and why my "higher power" is not God.

I attended AA meetings for years as an atheist. At first, I recited the Lord's Prayer along with the group, but stopped doing that because it just wasn't me.

I found that one can follow the intent of the Steps without any gods or even any woo. "A power greater than your self" can be anything; for me, it was the future me who would be stronger than the old me.

Many AA meetings have a raffle - you buy tickets to win books and things.
Do any Gamblers Anonymous meetings have a cash bar? Consider
Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Re: A Potential Predicament
I brought up the same thing at a NA meeting years ago. I was told that I can pick anything to be a higher power; focusing on the rest is what's important.

A respected member of the group said, "You don't need to pray to god. You can pray to a tree if it suits you better. If you don't like to pray, you can talk to it inside your head." Lol
21-04-2015, 09:07 AM
No god has ever really been anything but a person's own "best self". Let your higher power be the person you want to be. That, or choose a different treatment program.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post