A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 08:13 AM by whateverist.)
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(14-04-2017 07:16 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 06:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  And it does a piss-poor job of it.
As a pragmatist, I see that there is no real benefit to believing in gods, and an incalculable benefit to not wasting the finite amount of existence I have with meaningless rituals and clouded thinking.
Chas,
Thank you for your reply. I think your statement sums up the consequences for you quite well. However, many yearn for spirituality, in something that's greater than themselves. I believe the rituals to be odd also. We can cut the religion out. James' father was religiously eccentric himself and didn't follow the cookie cutter religion of one size fits all.

I find plenty of "greater than myself" within the mystery that is my self. I don't yearn for that mystery to involve the titans of the universe. I am happy with very small 'gods', what some have called the other products of the psyche. The upshot is the same, I am a part - not the whole. The other parts are also charged with consciousness from the same mysterious source. What they know does not need to be limited to what "I" consciously know.

(14-04-2017 07:16 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Now what I do find interesting is that you guys who are hostile should look in the mirror and ask what your doing with your finite amount of existence staring at a computer screen replying to yours truly. The religious ceremony is meant to make one pious, a trait that is becoming rare these days.

Hmmm .. I wouldn't have chosen "piety" here. Why not reverence? Many have reverence for nature, the cosmos and our own existence. But "pious" has a lot of baggage acquired from the church.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
15-04-2017, 08:15 AM
(15-04-2017 06:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The thing is, human beings are produced by nature.
Anything we make is still ultimately a product of nature.

Interesting to note, but of course "man made" is typically what is meant as the alternative to something being "natural".

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
15-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Piety is a swearword as far as I'm concerned. Indicates someone who's more concerned with pleasing some twit God than being nice to other people.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Nah, you just need a pug, moron. I mean, a hug Rolleyes

[Image: 05bdba50ff0ccae2e9f9c50f8547dbe4.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
15-04-2017, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 09:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Did someone say pie-(ty) ? That reminds me ... time for strawberry crepes.
(They have *good food* at least, at Cedars-Sinai).
*goes to see who is also insane enough to be working today*

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-04-2017, 10:16 AM
(14-04-2017 07:38 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:23 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  we will see mostly fat protein and water made of neurons, which mostly translates to axons, dendrites, and the synaptic firing between the dendrites. Nowhere in there do we see an idea, motive, desire, or sensation or feeling. These are intrinsic properties, and science has to do some soul searching, like Penrose believes, if science is going to try and tackle consciousness, for certainly part of reality is consciousness among the dread abysses and exploding stars.

If I were a bear and I needed sheer idiocy to survive hibernation, this here would last me a good five or six winters, easy.

This is a real problem that science can't address. Philosophers and scientists wrestle with this question. Even Daniel Dennett has tried to take a stab in "Consciousness Explained". However, his book doesn't explain anything. If you like I can post my Symposium paper on the famous Mary Problem, a problem that plagues consciousness, so that you guys see one of the struggles.
15-04-2017, 10:17 AM
(14-04-2017 09:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Well Stephen, it would seem you are still a little green behind the ears. It's probably just a little fungus. Don't worry, a healthy dose of critical thinking will get you back on track.

Take everything you've said and replace the word "god" with "leprechaun".

Do you now have a belief in leprechauns ?
I never said god wasn't a leprechaun. Drinking Beverage
15-04-2017, 10:19 AM
(15-04-2017 08:10 AM)whateverist Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:16 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Chas,
Thank you for your reply. I think your statement sums up the consequences for you quite well. However, many yearn for spirituality, in something that's greater than themselves. I believe the rituals to be odd also. We can cut the religion out. James' father was religiously eccentric himself and didn't follow the cookie cutter religion of one size fits all.

I find plenty of "greater than myself" within the mystery that is my self. I don't yearn for that mystery to involve the titans of the universe. I am happy with very small 'gods', what some have called the other products of the psyche. The upshot is the same, I am a part - not the whole. The other parts are also charged with consciousness from the same mysterious source. What they know does not need to be limited to what "I" consciously know.

(14-04-2017 07:16 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Now what I do find interesting is that you guys who are hostile should look in the mirror and ask what your doing with your finite amount of existence staring at a computer screen replying to yours truly. The religious ceremony is meant to make one pious, a trait that is becoming rare these days.

Hmmm .. I wouldn't have chosen "piety" here. Why not reverence? Many have reverence for nature, the cosmos and our own existence. But "pious" has a lot of baggage acquired from the church.
I was simply defining piety as reverence towards something greater than oneself. I guess we're splitting hairs though.
[+] 1 user Likes Stephen Pedersen's post
15-04-2017, 10:20 AM
(14-04-2017 09:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Step inside a computer ... show me the App.

Smartass

I can show it to you but it'd make about as much sense as reality. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 10:21 AM
(15-04-2017 04:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 06:44 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  I'm sorry you have a dislike for William James. The crux of pragmatism is that it tries to weave its way through the two philosophical corridors of ultra rationalism and ultra empiricism so that people can find some common ground that isn't so radical.

We have so much more information than James had that what was pragmatic for him isn't pragmatic anymore.

Metaphysical disputes are still ever present. The problem of consciousness, of god, of freewill, of beauty. These problems persist.