A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 10:50 AM by JesseB.)
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(15-04-2017 10:37 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:33 AM)JesseB Wrote:  It is in development (It's called AI), it's more complicated than simply calculations per second, its also various algorithms, ability to analyze and make decisions, oh and self learning.

I mean there's a LOT of programmers here.... you might not wanna step in this turd, you'll just embarrass yourself.
Argument from other's authorities? That's weak. Give me an argument with protein.

First I'm a programmer and a computer science major too. (Being a computer science major comes with the territory of being a programmer, but I also know the hardware, IP networking and many other topics in computer science that many/most programmers don't focus on and don't know anything about It's a huge field with many potential focuses Mine is a unique focus with a variety of required areas to understand)

Second not an argument from authority, just a suggestion that jumping in the ring with Gorge Foreman (or take the heavyweight boxer of your choice) might not be a good idea when you're clearly an amateur at best.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 10:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-04-2017 10:21 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 04:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  We have so much more information than James had that what was pragmatic for him isn't pragmatic anymore.

Metaphysical disputes are still ever present. The problem of consciousness, of god, of freewill, of beauty. These problems persist.

Actually they don't.
You can't define the word "god".
Freewill has been debunked.
Beauty is not a problem at all.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...of-beauty/
There is no "hard problem" of consciousness.

And most of all, even IF any of them were to exist, the *jump* to some unseen "metaphysical" answer (rather than "let's study this some more, and see what's going on" has not been justified.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2017, 10:42 AM
(15-04-2017 10:39 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:36 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I fail to see the problem.

I am my body. I perceive the world through my body, which gives those experiences subjective qualities. Because of those subjective qualities, I may conflate my consciousness with my self. However, consciousness isn't a self at all, but a process of perceiving the world, including a self in the world. In other words, some people confuse their self-concept with their real self.

So once you no longer define consciousness as the self, the "problem of consciousness" seems to disappear, at least to me. You may as well ask "Why am I me?" if you don't understand why conscious experiences are subjective.
There is no self? But what is that active, organizing, creating element that knits experience together and makes judgments on how to act or react? Huh

What you are defining as "the self" is nothing more than your fucking brain. This is why brain damage alters your personality (and other things geeze I need to wake up.... where's my coffee). Once you stop imposing imaginary false ideas of a separate self (like a soul for instance) you can start dealing with reality and these issues.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 10:44 AM
(15-04-2017 10:40 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:37 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Argument from other's authorities? That's weak. Give me an argument with protein.

First I'm a programmer and a computer science major too.

Second not an argument from authority, just a suggestion that jumping in the ring with Gorge Foreman (or take the heavyweight boxer of your choice) might not be a good idea when you're clearly an amateur at best.
Weak
15-04-2017, 10:47 AM
(15-04-2017 10:44 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:40 AM)JesseB Wrote:  First I'm a programmer and a computer science major too.

Weak

HAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH​AH

What you just said is very funny. I wonder if you can understand why it's so funny?

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 10:47 AM
(15-04-2017 10:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 05:06 AM)julep Wrote:  He's a condescending sentimentalist.

Worse yet, I think I just got trolled. By the same fucking troll that keeps coming back. "Good sir", my big fat ass. So ashamed. Blush

Yup. The clue, for me, is when they don't respond to me directly.

It's a thing I've noticed ... only the theists who acknowledge the inconsistencies in their beliefs reply to me directly.

I haven't yet worked out why that is.

Huh

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-04-2017, 10:49 AM
(15-04-2017 10:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:22 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Worse yet, I think I just got trolled. By the same fucking troll that keeps coming back. "Good sir", my big fat ass. So ashamed. Blush

Yup. The clue, for me, is when they don't respond to me directly.

It's a thing I've noticed ... only the theists who acknowledge the inconsistencies in their beliefs reply to me directly.

I haven't yet worked out why that is.

Huh

I've noticed that as well. It's almost like it knows us from somewhere.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 10:51 AM
(15-04-2017 10:47 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:44 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Weak

HAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH​AH

What you just said is very funny. I wonder if you can understand why it's so funny?

Its not just called ai, the problem is strong ai. They've been trying to develop consciousness through ai for some time. I'm not saying it is impossible. However, my belief is is that once they do they will sit back in their chairs and ask themelves, "how did I do that?" We can't even explain our own consciousness. It's one of the mysteries to wonder about... unless your Daniel Dennett who believes its all a fiction.

And if freewill is debunked then why I am talking to you guys?
15-04-2017, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 10:58 AM by Full Circle.)
(15-04-2017 10:21 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 04:32 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  We have so much more information than James had that what was pragmatic for him isn't pragmatic anymore.

Metaphysical disputes are still ever present. The problem of consciousness, of god, of freewill, of beauty. These problems persist.

These aren’t problems at all, at least not for me since I subscribe to scientific realism Drinking Beverage

ps hyperlinked the wrong descriptor Blush

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-04-2017, 10:53 AM
(15-04-2017 10:51 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:47 AM)JesseB Wrote:  HAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH​AH

Its not just called ai, the problem is strong ai. They've been trying to develop consciousness through ai for some time. I'm not saying it is impossible. However, my belief is is that once they do they will sit back in their chairs and ask themelves, "how did I do that?" We can't even explain our own consciousness. It's one of the mysteries to wonder about... unless your Daniel Dennett who believes its all a fiction.

And if freewill is debunked then why I am talking to you guys?

Consciousness is emergent......

Big Grin