A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 11:24 AM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(15-04-2017 10:59 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:51 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  And if freewill is debunked then why I am talking to you guys?

Not all atheists think freewill is debunked. I don't.

It has been proven (by Neuro-science) that decisions are made before we are aware of them. Short-term, anyway.

Long-term (collective) decision-making may be in a different category. But "free-will" in the (Moral Theological) sense that EVERY element in a choice is present in consciousness when a decision is made, THAT has been debunked.

It's not binary. It's "waring armies"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2017, 11:27 AM
(15-04-2017 11:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:59 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Not all atheists think freewill is debunked. I don't.

It has been proven (by Neuro-science) that decisions are made before we are aware of them. Short-term, anyway.

Long-term (collective) decision-making may be in a different category. But "free-will" in the (Moral Theological) sense that EVERY element in a choice is present in consciousness when a decision is made, THAT has been debunked.

It's not binary. It's "waring armies"

"Free won't" yet lives. Long live "free won't"!

Although even that is coming under scrutiny.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 11:29 AM
(15-04-2017 10:58 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:53 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Consciousness is emergent......

If it is emergent then how does it emerge? Let's say a train is going down the railway and steam emerges from the train is the steam emergent? How does something completely different emerge that seems like non physical "stuff" like ideas, motives, desires, feelings and sensations? Huh It seems to be a new sort of ontology, even a dualism that emerges.

It "emerges" from billions of chemical reactions. Sensory input, referenced to memory -> output that is experienced as consciousness. It's all chemicals, and they can watch it happen.
http://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_dec..._real_time

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2017, 11:29 AM
(15-04-2017 11:20 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:15 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I swear this guy steve is starting to remind me of a certain Agnostic troll that was banned last month.... And if Steve would bother to look up those threads he'd find the answers he seeks. He seems to have this bizarre notion that these questions haven't been answered (dozens of times on these forums alone).
Must we sink to ad hominins? I didn't know you guys have settled all metaphysical disputes and are in agreement on all of these issues. Drinking Beverage

Wait.... I'm not sure you know what that word means, I have and will make many ad hominem insults against you, not because you deserve them per say.... but mostly because you bore me, you don't try hard enough, and you're kinda a waste of time and clearly a troll.....

However this above statement is not an example of such an insult. It is specifically a suggestion that you do SOME research before shitting in the forums. We get tired of cleaning up shit from lazy fucks like you.

I am not your fucking maid dude.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 11:34 AM
To rein in pragmatism again: I believe there are mysteries to life still. Mysteries that are unwilling to make themselves known. We can't impose truth on something that is unwilling. Instead, with pragmatism, we can look at the consequences and live accordingly to get on with the day. The freewill debate, the existence of god, consciousness, ect...
15-04-2017, 11:37 AM
(15-04-2017 11:34 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  To rein in pragmatism again: I believe there are mysteries to life still. Mysteries that are unwilling to make themselves known. We can't impose truth on something that is unwilling. Instead, with pragmatism, we can look at the consequences and live accordingly to get on with the day. The freewill debate, the existence of god, consciousness, ect...

What the fuck? Now your imposing a conscious decision on "facts" and imposing a desire for them to be "unknown"?

Dude do you ever listen to the shit that spills out of your mouth? it's stinky....

A pragmatic person doesn't add shit that's clearly not there and not needed.... Take a fucking hint from a very pragmatic person.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 11:45 AM
(15-04-2017 11:37 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Dude do you ever listen to the shit that spills out of your mouth? it's stinky....

Now, now, Jesse, didn't you hear him say that there are things we cannot perceive with our eyes and ears. And one of those things is stinkiness...

Of course, you still don't need god or any metaphysical half-boiled shit stew, for this, just a nose. And, in this particular case, this Drinking Beverage [Image: evo5000-mask.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
15-04-2017, 11:48 AM
(15-04-2017 11:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:37 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Dude do you ever listen to the shit that spills out of your mouth? it's stinky....

Now, now, Jesse, didn't you hear him say that there are things we cannot perceive with our eyes and ears. And one of those things is stinkiness...

Of course, you still don't need god or any metaphysical half-boiled shit stew, for this, just a nose. And, in this particular case, this Drinking Beverage [Image: evo5000-mask.jpg]

There are some farts which can actually be seen. It's like when it's so hot you can see ripples in the air. Those are rather impressive. If you're lucky you can see them coming and get out of the way in time.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 11:50 AM
(15-04-2017 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are some farts which can actually be seen. If you're lucky you can see them coming and get out of the way in time.

And yet, here we all are, in this thread Drinking Beverage

Are we gluttons for punishitment or what Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-04-2017, 11:52 AM
(15-04-2017 11:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are some farts which can actually be seen. If you're lucky you can see them coming and get out of the way in time.

And yet, here we all are, in this thread Drinking Beverage

Are we gluttons for punishitment or what Rolleyes

Well as long as we're talking about pragmatism we might as well add a few useful life skills. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post