A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 11:56 AM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(15-04-2017 11:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are some farts which can actually be seen. If you're lucky you can see them coming and get out of the way in time.

And yet, here we all are, in this thread Drinking Beverage

Are we gluttons for punishitment or what Rolleyes

Despite the stinky, ya'll respond with such comic gold I can't help but laugh my ass off. I really quite enjoy it as a result Smile It's why I like being here, you are fun and funny and I enjoy being around all of ya. It's worth a few dirty diapers being thrown on the floor by theists to hear the funny shit everyone comes up with Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 11:58 AM
(15-04-2017 11:56 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  And yet, here we all are, in this thread Drinking Beverage

Are we gluttons for punishitment or what Rolleyes

Despite the stinky, ya'll respond with such comic gold I can't help but laugh my ass off. I really quite enjoy it as a result Smile It's why I like being here, you are fun and funny and I enjoy being around all of ya. It's worth a few dirty diapers being thrown on the floor by theists to hear the funny shit everyone comes up with Smile

When life gives you trolls you make troll juice.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 12:04 PM
(15-04-2017 11:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:56 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Despite the stinky, ya'll respond with such comic gold I can't help but laugh my ass off. I really quite enjoy it as a result Smile It's why I like being here, you are fun and funny and I enjoy being around all of ya. It's worth a few dirty diapers being thrown on the floor by theists to hear the funny shit everyone comes up with Smile

When life gives you trolls you make troll juice.

THIS reminds me of a funny story....

So I was playing World of Warcraft with an old friend she was this awesome Canadian lady who by day was a teacher, by night was one of the best damn healers on the server.....

One day I was bored so I went to Zan frack (or whatever can't remember how to spell it) and mindlessly killed trolls for HOURS lol..... They drop a grey item called "Troll Sweat" I sorta sent them all to my friend one at a time through the mail till her mailbox was full lololololol.

Or more accurately Trolololololololololololol

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 12:08 PM
(15-04-2017 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:45 AM)Vera Wrote:  Now, now, Jesse, didn't you hear him say that there are things we cannot perceive with our eyes and ears. And one of those things is stinkiness...

Of course, you still don't need god or any metaphysical half-boiled shit stew, for this, just a nose. And, in this particular case, this Drinking Beverage [Image: evo5000-mask.jpg]

There are some farts which can actually be seen. It's like when it's so hot you can see ripples in the air. Those are rather impressive. If you're lucky you can see them coming and get out of the way in time.

No no no ... you grab a lighter, and light them. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2017, 12:09 PM
(15-04-2017 12:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 11:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are some farts which can actually be seen. It's like when it's so hot you can see ripples in the air. Those are rather impressive. If you're lucky you can see them coming and get out of the way in time.

No no no ... you grab a lighter, and light them. Weeping

Yabut you're an adrenaline junkie. Guess base jumping wasn't exciting enough for you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2017, 12:10 PM
(15-04-2017 11:34 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  To rein in pragmatism again: I believe there are mysteries to life still. Mysteries that are unwilling to make themselves known. We can't impose truth on something that is unwilling. Instead, with pragmatism, we can look at the consequences and live accordingly to get on with the day. The freewill debate, the existence of god, consciousness, ect...

Mysteries don't have will. Facepalm
Hard problems are hard to solve. They yield to The Hard Work, (snort ... a little Borgyness right there, Rolleyes )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-04-2017, 12:21 PM
(15-04-2017 12:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 12:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No no no ... you grab a lighter, and light them. Weeping

Yabut you're an adrenaline junkie. Guess base jumping wasn't exciting enough for you.

Oh no. None of that shit fer me. Afraid of heights.

15-04-2017, 12:38 PM
(15-04-2017 12:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 12:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yabut you're an adrenaline junkie. Guess base jumping wasn't exciting enough for you.

Oh no. None of that shit fer me. Afraid of heights.

I wanna do this. Like once a week. Get to kamikaze from the hundredth floor, swan dive to the street over and over again. Practice makes perfect. Big Grin

15-04-2017, 12:38 PM
(14-04-2017 08:07 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Hello good sir,
It answers what I intended by my original post. But I will further extrapolate. As I've gotten older I've gained a since of wonder and awe about the cosmos. I'm not an atheist or theist. I'm an optimistic agnostic. I mentioned Paley's watch argument before. That is just one argument that gives evidence of a designer. As you know, there are many. However, I don't think it's conclusive. Another poster mentioned how design doesn't need a designer. How design can be functionally created and that argument holds merit also.

It actually doesn't answer my post, as Chas correctly pointed out. Paley's watch argument fails completely, as Darwin realized after having been a proponent of Paley's "Natural Theology."

"The philosopher Andrew Bernstein describes such theological analysis of arcane and unevidenced claims as 'the tragedy of theology in its distilled essence: the employment of high-powered human intellect, of genius, of profoundly rigorous logical deduction -- studying nothing.'"

-- "Faith Versus Fact: Why Science and Religion Are Incompatible", by Jerry Coyne, p. 58
[+] 4 users Like Rachel's post
15-04-2017, 12:46 PM
(15-04-2017 12:38 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 08:07 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  Hello good sir,
It answers what I intended by my original post. But I will further extrapolate. As I've gotten older I've gained a since of wonder and awe about the cosmos. I'm not an atheist or theist. I'm an optimistic agnostic. I mentioned Paley's watch argument before. That is just one argument that gives evidence of a designer. As you know, there are many. However, I don't think it's conclusive. Another poster mentioned how design doesn't need a designer. How design can be functionally created and that argument holds merit also.

It actually doesn't answer my post, as Chas correctly pointed out. Paley's watch argument fails completely, as Darwin realized after having been a proponent of Paley's "Natural Theology."
Darwin disbelieves in Paley's watch argument because of the ugliness of what organisms do to each other. His disgust doesn't disprove.