A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 12:56 PM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(15-04-2017 12:46 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 12:38 PM)Rachel Wrote:  It actually doesn't answer my post, as Chas correctly pointed out. Paley's watch argument fails completely, as Darwin realized after having been a proponent of Paley's "Natural Theology."
Darwin disbelieves in Paley's watch argument because of the ugliness of what organisms do to each other. His disgust doesn't disprove.

OH FUCKING HELL

The watchmaker argument? really? pathetic.
Here's a random place to start....

More reading

The most important reading list before tackling the other two.....

try reading for once in your life....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2017, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 01:01 PM by Full Circle.)
(15-04-2017 11:34 AM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  To rein in pragmatism again: I believe there are mysteries to life still. Mysteries that are unwilling to make themselves known. We can't impose truth on something that is unwilling. Instead, with pragmatism, we can look at the consequences and live accordingly to get on with the day. The freewill debate, the existence of god, consciousness, ect...

Anthromophism doesn't lend itself well to "mysteries". Mysteries don't want anything and " to impose truth on something that is unwilling" is nothing but a deepity imo.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2017, 12:59 PM
@steventhefuckwit

OH and while we are at it dude an Ad Hominem attack is a logical fallacy when applied to refuting your arguments.....

When I insult you it is not an Ad Hominem as I'm not relying on the insult as proof you are wrong. I'm literally just making fun of you and insulting you....

I also provide evidence to show you are full of shit and those are my actual "arguments"

....there's a difference.... it's sad I had to point that out to you.....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 01:08 PM
So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love Heart
15-04-2017, 01:09 PM
(15-04-2017 01:08 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love Heart

You think?

Dude... I don't hate you... I'm making fun of you.... I've been laughing my ass off at the stupid shit you say all morning. If you annoyed me I'd just block you. I don't do hate, just not my thing. I do do asshole though, yea being an asshole is kinda my thing if someone deserves it.

Edit^ dude if you actually fucking tried I would enjoy engaging you in an honest debate far more... too bad you refuse to put in the effort.....

Big Grin
15-04-2017, 01:13 PM
(15-04-2017 01:08 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love Heart

Fuck off

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2017, 01:17 PM
(15-04-2017 01:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Fuck off

No problem.
15-04-2017, 01:20 PM
@steve

let me fill you in on a little secret here... This isn't the kind of place where lies painted with politeness gain any respect. You can be pretty fucking crude and rude provided you are intellectually fucking honest, and make an effort, and avoid being outright abusive, spammy or such a cockpimple that mom just gets tired of your shit....

There's a reason for this, actually many reasons for it. For instance I have a moral obligation to say the word FUCK often (and many other words but fuck is my favorite, mostly cause I like fucking in the literal sense). We don't share your phony sense of morality and prudish standards. We have no obligation to live by your fucking rules, especially not here..... And to be quite fair, I've been pretty nice to you so far....

Hope this helps you understand....

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 01:23 PM
I'd also like to note I love the idea that mom carries the banhammer, its just such a funny thought every time I'm reminded of it Smile

Big Grin
15-04-2017, 02:10 PM
20 pages on, do we have anything except arguments from incredulity yet? I've given up looking.

Yup, science "doesn't know everything". No sane person ever claims that it does. So what? If that makes you uncomfortable and you have to insert woo into every gap of knowledge, then go nuts with it. Some of us are fine saying we don't know everything.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post