A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 04:35 PM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(15-04-2017 03:46 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Many people suffering from some form of ignorance are quite proud of it. You have to give them time not only to realize their mistakes but to save face as well. Otherwise you just push them further in, which really isn't helpful.

Many people are not only comfortable in their ignorance but revel in it. For some reason, they take it personally if you point out their ignorance. Such people aren't worth dealing with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
15-04-2017, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 06:12 PM by JesseB.)
(15-04-2017 03:46 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Many people suffering from some form of ignorance are quite proud of it. You have to give them time not only to realize their mistakes but to save face as well. Otherwise you just push them further in, which really isn't helpful.

This is a good point, however.... the question of if they WANT to realize their mistake has yet to be answered. As for saving face I would point to SeeJay and Alla (some might disagree with me on Alla but I think she's made some progress) as examples of peoples willingness to allow for self correction here. When someone stops acting like a fuckwit I've seen many people instantly change their approach in handling them. I know I do that for anyone. I'm not personally or emotionally invested in "othering" people... I just get a bit bored, tired and mean from time to time. And I don't care if people agree with me or not, I really only care that they put in at least a small amount of effort.... I think my standards for people might be a bit too low at times really.

Oh yea. Dig them trenches never let yourself be challenged by reality!!!!! Win the war of cognitive dissonance by breaking this brick fucking wall with your head! You can do it! (Ok I'm a dick for encouraging such stupid behavior lol, but really there's a chance this might not kill them or cause permanent brain damage! I'm joking folks calm down, I get what you mean dude, and I agree)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 04:51 PM
(15-04-2017 04:35 PM)Rachel Wrote:  

Many people are not only comfortable in their ignorance but revel in it. For some reason, they take it personally if you point out their ignorance. Such people aren't worth dealing with.

See... This is kinda my point, I'm not being hateful, although I am being a little mean. However.... wait... who was the fuckwit I was trying to have a debate with in this thread again??? Ahh fuck it he never tried so why should I try rememberhing his name....

Moving on

Regardless he's the one being an asshat by not bothering to prepare better to engage before coming in here. All I want is a decent intellectually honest debate, that's all.... Is that really asking so much? (OH wait.... if he was capable of that he'd already be an Atheist most likely lol)

Like... I realllly wanna have some motivation to put in some effort here and he's killing it by being so damn lazy.... Kinda feels like I'm gonna have to start having schizophrenic arguments with myself if I want a challenge....

If I was forced to pick a god it would obviously be Dionysus

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
15-04-2017, 05:08 PM
To be fair, now that I've woken up I'm feeling nicer... So I'm not gonna be as mean now, but dude please try harder.

Big Grin
15-04-2017, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 06:20 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(15-04-2017 04:36 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I'm not personally or emotionally invested in "ochering" people... I just get a bit bored, tired and mean from time to time. And I don't care if people agree with me or not, I really only care that they put in at least a small amount of effort.... I think my standards for people might be a bit too low at times really.

It's true, atheists don't seem to care about making converts -- certainly not like so many religious people do. Many we're concerned with explaining ourselves. However, that attitude can be especially jarring to people with religious backgrounds, and for the same reason. Most of them are used to the hard sell and being manipulated.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
15-04-2017, 10:04 PM
(15-04-2017 03:03 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Paley's Watch is so weak, now on the other hand the tornado in the junkyard assembling a 747, now that rings true.

Big Grin
I don't know if I could take Comfort in that; it seems like it would be a Delusion of some sort. It almost sounds like something a man on the street might say while in the Way of a Master, after some Growing Pains.. Angel

(Darnit, couldn't figure out how to work in Kirk Cameron, despite him not being in that one.)

(Edit: Sorta nailed it.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
15-04-2017, 11:35 PM
The pragmatic guide to something you can't define, nor observe.

This guide will help you make blind assertions about attributes that you can't possibly know.

"This thing knows everything."

-- As a limited knowledge knower, you can't possibly know that.

"It's everywhere."

--What is it that is everywhere ?
--And again, how do know that ?
--Your senses are limited.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
15-04-2017, 11:38 PM
(15-04-2017 11:35 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The pragmatic guide to something you can't define, nor observe.

This guide will help you make blind assertions about attributes that you can't possibly know.

"This thing knows everything."

-- As a limited knowledge knower, you can't possibly know that.

"It's everywhere."

--What is it that is everywhere ?
--And again, how do know that ?
--Your senses are limited.

Perfect!

Big Grin
16-04-2017, 05:47 AM
(15-04-2017 10:04 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 03:03 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Paley's Watch is so weak, now on the other hand the tornado in the junkyard assembling a 747, now that rings true.

Big Grin
I don't know if I could take Comfort in that; it seems like it would be a Delusion of some sort. It almost sounds like something a man on the street might say while in the Way of a Master, after some Growing Pains.. Angel

(Darnit, couldn't figure out how to work in Kirk Cameron, despite him not being in that one.)

I didn’t realize either of those two used it, I only know it as Hoyle’s Fallacy. Congrat on working KC in. Dodgy

To be honest I prefer this KC.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
16-04-2017, 09:36 AM
(16-04-2017 05:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 10:04 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I don't know if I could take Comfort in that; it seems like it would be a Delusion of some sort. It almost sounds like something a man on the street might say while in the Way of a Master, after some Growing Pains.. Angel

I didn’t realize either of those two used it, I only know it as Hoyle’s Fallacy. Congrat on working KC in. Dodgy

To be honest I prefer this KC.

Well that's a better KC than Kirk Cameron; so is Kingschosen Yes

And yeah...there's a scene in The Atheist Delusion where Ray is interviewing "totally not a plant, he's an atheist we swear" guy on the street, who outright says, "Well that would be like a tornado going through a junkyard and creating a 747!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post