A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 11:35 PM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(15-04-2017 04:35 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 03:46 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Many people suffering from some form of ignorance are quite proud of it. You have to give them time not only to realize their mistakes but to save face as well. Otherwise you just push them further in, which really isn't helpful.

Many people are not only comfortable in their ignorance but revel in it. For some reason, they take it personally if you point out their ignorance. Such people aren't worth dealing with.

Militant ignorance. Not only are some people ignorant, but they want everybody to be just as ignorant as them, and work to propagate their special kind of invulnerable ignorance. For example, organized creationism. Far right pseudo-history. Militant islamicists.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
17-04-2017, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2017 12:00 PM by kemo boy.)
(14-04-2017 07:16 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  The religious ceremony is meant to make one pious, a trait that is becoming rare these days.

Good. Being pious means either devout to a non-existant god and the man-made rules that follow, or being a hypocrite. The less pious, the better.
[+] 2 users Like kemo boy's post
17-04-2017, 07:37 AM
(15-04-2017 01:08 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love Heart

Or Thorazine.
[+] 2 users Like kemo boy's post
17-04-2017, 09:27 AM
(15-04-2017 01:08 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love Heart
Don't be silly, old thing. This isn't hate. It's indifference coupled with frankness.

This is not your accustomed theist circle-jerk where everyone reflexively issues kudos to your magnificence and you are allow to mask your lack of intellectual integrity with faux politeness.

This is a place where you actually have to carry the burden of proof for your positive claims. Guess you couldn't do it. Too bad, so sad.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
17-04-2017, 09:48 AM
(15-04-2017 01:08 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love

What in the *world* makes you think this easily refuted nonsense merits even a fart, much less "hate" ?
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2017, 03:19 PM
(16-04-2017 11:35 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 04:35 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Many people are not only comfortable in their ignorance but revel in it. For some reason, they take it personally if you point out their ignorance. Such people aren't worth dealing with.

Militant ignorance. Not only are some people ignorant, but they want everybody to be just as ignorant as them, and work to propagate their special kind of invulnerable ignorance. For example, organized creationism. Far right pseudo-history. Militant islamicists.

Nicely put. I also like "invincible ignorance."
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
17-04-2017, 05:16 PM
(17-04-2017 03:19 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 11:35 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Militant ignorance. Not only are some people ignorant, but they want everybody to be just as ignorant as them, and work to propagate their special kind of invulnerable ignorance. For example, organized creationism. Far right pseudo-history. Militant islamicists.

Nicely put. I also like "invincible ignorance."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible...ce_fallacy

The invincible ignorance fallacy[1] is a deductive fallacy of circularity where the person in question simply pig-headedly refuses to believe the argument, ignoring any evidence given. It is not so much a fallacious tactic in argument as it is a refusal to argue in the proper sense of the word, the method instead being to either make assertions with no consideration of objections or to simply dismiss objections by calling them excuses, conjecture, etc. or saying that they don't prove anything; all without actually demonstrating how the objection fit these terms (see ad lapidem fallacy).

----

The problem is what do you do when large numbers of people abandon critical thinking for a complex series of errors and myths that also denigrate thinking?

What do we do with an ideology that has shut out real thinking for a parody of rationality?

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
17-04-2017, 06:33 PM
(17-04-2017 05:16 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  What do we do with an ideology that has shut out real thinking for a parody of rationality?
You reject the ideology.

Ideologies based on unsubstantiated assertions -- especially when the assertions are nonsense -- cannot be fixed, so you don't try to fix them.

You're just present for the occasional person who, like yourself, doubts the ideology, and you try to lead them out of the thicket. Sometimes you even succeed.

It is hard to be optimistic about the human enterprise when crazy notions rule most people's minds. On my worst days I think the human experiment should be defunded and shut down. On my best days I think it may yet be better than it is -- even much better. But probably not in my lifetime, or even my grandchildren's lifetimes.

I hope that eventually the human experience will improve, sufficiently and permanently enough, to justify the investment of pain and suffering represented by most human lives throughout most of history to this point. I can see scenarios where it will do that, and others where it won't. Time will tell. If it succeeds I hope they appreciate, at least collectively, our contribution to their collective happiness.

Probably not though ;-)
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
17-04-2017, 06:43 PM
(15-04-2017 01:08 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  So much hate here. I think we can use a healthy dose of love

It is the hatred of willful ignorance.

I can't stand stupidity.
I especially dislike the preachers, pastors, bishops, priests, witch doctors, etc who take advantage of gullible people.

Stephen, are you stupid or gullible ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-04-2017, 07:53 PM
(17-04-2017 05:16 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  The problem is what do you do when large numbers of people abandon critical thinking for a complex series of errors and myths that also denigrate thinking?

What do we do with an ideology that has shut out real thinking for a parody of rationality?

An excellent question. Confronting it with reason doesn't work. Ignoring it and hoping it goes away doesn't work. It's as if a large percentage of the population voluntarily self-lobotomized.