A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 09:23 PM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
I still find it funny how utterly un pragmatic this pragmatism bullshit is......

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
18-04-2017, 09:52 PM
(17-04-2017 07:53 PM)Rachel Wrote:  
(17-04-2017 05:16 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  The problem is what do you do when large numbers of people abandon critical thinking for a complex series of errors and myths that also denigrate thinking?

What do we do with an ideology that has shut out real thinking for a parody of rationality?

An excellent question. Confronting it with reason doesn't work. Ignoring it and hoping it goes away doesn't work. It's as if a large percentage of the population voluntarily self-lobotomized.

I suspect that the Boomerang Effect or the “the theory of psychological reactance” is at play here. The more you attempt to correct or elucidate the more entrenched the other side becomes in its irrationality.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
19-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Also the Backfire effect comes into play, forgot that one.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce