A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 07:49 AM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(13-04-2017 07:04 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  If you were given a chance to live in a vibrant world of meaning, hope, and Beauty, would you choose that belief, the belief out of the woods, or would you rather live in a world based on the probablism of physics, which may seem mechanistic in its stiff materialistic stance?
Everything is probabilities -- what is (un)likely to be true. I find dealing in reality to be best, and the actual source of vibrancy, meaning, hope and beauty. Reality interests me. Fantasy does not.

Also in my experience it is theists who are nihilistic, who claim actual existence has no meaning, who displace all hope and meaning and beauty into an imagined afterlife and the imagined regard and favor of an imaginary friend, thus bleeding the wonder out of the here and now.

The End.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
14-04-2017, 07:51 AM
(14-04-2017 07:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  May I suggest that OP pragmatically get bent?

Or lost. In the woods. See if he finds a cow path or something Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Another drive by conversion tactic would be my take on this thread.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
14-04-2017, 08:33 AM
I found it very impractical to read the OP.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-04-2017, 08:38 AM
(14-04-2017 07:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  May I suggest that OP pragmatically get bent?

Or lost. In the woods. See if he finds a cow path or something Drinking Beverage

He's already been there. You can tell by the poop he's tracking through the place. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-04-2017, 08:43 AM
In all fairness, Johnny, I think it's actually his own. Not that he can help it, what with such a severe case of verbal diarrhoea and all Drinking Beverage

[Image: 6244852_f520.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
14-04-2017, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 09:19 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2017 08:07 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why not? I wanna talk Euler's orgasm and Fibonnaci's gnocchis too.

As for Euler, only thing I've got, is this: "The erotic connection between mathematical insight and sexual orgasm is simply impossible to deny."
GaspConsider

Fuck Moses and his burning bush, Euler was the one to first see the face of God and sketch it out.
[Image: euler_zpsavbtpfdq.png]

You got your real, your imaginary, and your transcendental all rolled into one. The holy trinity. Father, son, and holy ghost. Three, it's a magic number.

(16-03-2017 08:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Triangle is the beginning of structure. Holy Trinity is you me and god, speaking firstly with myself.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 09:16 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2017 01:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The wise path to take is the 'ought' but no gods or goddesses are necessary ... even though they may be useful as a heuristic when insufficient data/information/knowledge is available.

“We dismiss your religion because it is not true; we do not dismiss it because it is not wise”.

That whole post is good. Thumbsup But heuristics are at their most useful when we have complete information. "Dude, that's the same as the traveling salesman problem. You better have another plan if you want to get to Gramma's house in time for dinner."

(14-04-2017 01:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Now, will someone turn that into a meme, or do I have to do it myself?

JDogg'll do it. Smile

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 09:15 AM
(14-04-2017 07:49 AM)mordant Wrote:  I find dealing in reality to be best, and the actual source of vibrancy, meaning, hope and beauty. Reality interests me. Fantasy does not.

Why not? It's fun to manipulate reality for your own personal amusement.

#sigh
14-04-2017, 09:19 AM
(14-04-2017 09:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
You better have another plan if you want to get to Gramma's house in time for dinner.

Ah! There's the rub... whose / who's dinner?

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post