A Pragmatist's Guide to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 09:27 AM
RE: A Pragmatist's Guide to God
(13-04-2017 07:04 PM)Stephen Pedersen Wrote:  There are many reasons to believe in God, some of which aren't very good.

All of which aren't very good. We know the cultural histories of almost all the ones cooked up so far. When one discovers what they are, there are no gods left, that aren't dismissed.

Quote:However, there are patterns and designs that suggest there might be a god

God of the gaps. We know from Chaos Theory, order arises naturally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
All the gods got laid off. It's a period of high god-unemployment. Maybe they could be retrained to do something useful ?

Quote:What I would like to discuss is William James' pragmatism which attempts to make judgements and relieve the mind from problems that are otherwise indeterminable. We have to find a way to get on with the day without paralyzing hamletian indecision, don't we? William James' pragmatism is just that, so let's dive in and understand what William James has to say about pragmatism in his own words:

Utilitarianism is a slippery slope.

Quote:The pragmatic method is primarily a method of settling metaphysical disputes that otherwise might be interminable. Is the world one or many?—free or fated?—material or spiritual?—here are notions either of which may or may not hold good of the world; and disputes over such notions are unending. The pragmatic method in such cases is to try to interpret each notion by tracing its respective practical consequences.

I prefer to count the angels on the heads of my pins. Don't tell me what the fuck to do.

Quote:[i]If I am lost in the woods and starved, and find what looks like a cow-path, it is of the utmost importance that I should think of a human habitation at the end of it, for if I do so and follow it, I save myself. The true thought is useful here because the house which is its object is useful. The practical value of the true ideas is thus primarily derived from the practical importance of their objects to us.
So truth on pragmatic grounds is not an abstract principle or idea, but a consequence that is in the concrete world here being the house that would save him from starvation. It’s anchored to reality. “Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events”

Don't go walkin in the fucking woods without some survival skills.

Quote:Let’s march backwards for a moment and look at the metaphysical dispute of whether there is a god or not. God’s existence is an interminable metaphysical problem, which the tender-minded and the tough-minded wrestle over. We can’t see a god empirically, but it seems we may be able to prove its existence rationally.

"Not any more", (as Inspector Clouseau said). Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive. No religion says their god is "proven rationally". The last time I checked, they required faith.

Quote:He [God] need not be an all-including “subjective unity of the universe” ... all I mean is that there must be some subjective unity in the universe which has purpose commensurable with my own, and which is at the same time large enough to be, among all the powers that may be there, the strongest. … In saying “God Exists” All I imply is that my purposes are cared for by a mind so powerful as on the whole to control the drift of the universe.

He never had a kid die of cancer, I bet.

Quote:Back to the path in the woods now. If you were given a chance to live in a vibrant world of meaning, hope, and Beauty, would you choose that belief, the belief out of the woods, or would you rather live in a world based on the probablism of physics, which may seem mechanistic in its stiff materialistic stance?

I'll live in a real world, thanks. The gods don't provide meaning, hope or beauty.
Making up shit, and living in fantasy is not an answer.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-04-2017, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 09:59 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2017 08:46 PM)JesseB Wrote:  A pragmatic person would have no need or reason to believe in any god.

The tools each of us use to continue to pretend to be sane so the others won't notice and section us off vary by individual. Gwynnies v. Bob, e.g. Both invented for the same purpose. Same God, different name. Both useful. When you start losing your self you invent another to present to the world or they don't let you play with others anymore.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:03 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2017 10:55 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I can marvel at how incredible everything is without having to pretend a bunch of magical shit is going on.

It's all magic. I had an RF engineer tell me it stands for "real fucking magic".

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:04 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2017 07:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  May I suggest that OP pragmatically get bent?

Or lost. In the woods. See if he finds a cow path or something Drinking Beverage

I've found some of the best mushrooms on cowpaths. Or was it the other way around. Consider I think both.

[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:01 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2017 09:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'll live in a real world, thanks.

You got the indefinite article right. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2017 10:50 AM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2017 07:49 AM)mordant Wrote:  Also in my experience it is theists who are nihilistic, who claim actual existence has no meaning, who displace all hope and meaning and beauty into an imagined afterlife and the imagined regard and favor of an imaginary friend, thus bleeding the wonder out of the here and now.

That's only the pussy Schopenhauer nihilists not the Übermensch who spend their day planting, germinating, tending, consuming, and recycling the seeds of meaning like Chauncey Gardener.

14-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Me likey OP and the responses. The OP only seems to resonate to those of us who are there, though. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-04-2017, 11:03 AM
(14-04-2017 10:18 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Me likey OP and the responses. The OP only seems to resonate to those of us who are there, though. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 12:54 PM
(14-04-2017 07:49 AM)mordant Wrote:  Also in my experience it is theists who are nihilistic, who claim actual existence has no meaning, who displace all hope and meaning and beauty into an imagined afterlife and the imagined regard and favor of an imaginary friend, thus bleeding the wonder out of the here and now.

The End.

^ I have often thought this right here. The theist mindset regards the Earth as a rest stop and fucks it all up because it isn’t the final destination.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
14-04-2017, 02:52 PM
(14-04-2017 12:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

The End.

^ I have often thought this right here. The theist mindset regards the Earth as a rest stop and fucks it all up because it isn’t the final destination.

They live a diluted life.