A Prayer for Boston and for Us All

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 1 Average
16-04-2013, 05:21 PM
RE: A Prayer for Boston and for Us All
Too bad God wasn't looking out for his people in the first place. Had he been, checks wouldn't be necessary.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Ed, I'm not sure how interested you are in my opinion but here goes:

I don't know you very well, so I'm sure you'll take this as you will. The overly suspicious part of me is tempted to think you are actually still an atheist and this newfound Christianity of yours is all a ruse to get atheists to despise you and, through proxy, Christians and/or Christianity. But, that would just be silly...wouldn't it?

The Conspiracy Theorist in me has been diminished to a large extent, thanks in part to listening to rational folk like the kind people herein. But, you do seem to have a knack for drawing out ugliness.

What result had you expected from your post? How did it play out in your mind?
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
16-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Egor, if you were not such an insult hurling jerk, someone might assume you are praying because you actually give a shit.

But we know better than that, don't we.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-04-2013, 06:09 PM
(16-04-2013 04:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  Are you an atheist? If so, what difference does it make if we catch the bad guys? How could you even call them bad? They're just organisms responding to stimuli--if atheism is true, that is.

I am an atheist. I don't believe in a god or gods, nor do I believe in an afterlife, angels or demons. I don't see how my not believing in any of that pertains to why I care that the "bad guys" are caught. I would like the crazy people off the streets. I don't like fearing going to fun, very public functions all because someone might bomb the area. Also, even if these people are caught, there will be more criminals out there to bomb another event. (But that's another discussion.) Drinking Beverage

Why do people say, "if atheism is true?" I don't understand that. I don't question whether Christianity is "true." I SEE that people believe in a god and I SEE that they pray. You SEE that people don't believe, because they tell you they don't believe. That question doesn't make sense. What is there to question?

(16-04-2013 04:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  I remember it. Everyone liked that prayer. Go figure...

Define "everyone."

(16-04-2013 04:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  Yes. I am. Prayer is the only thing I can do, and by God I'm going to do it.

It's only ONE thing you can do. (If it makes you feel better, do it, I guess.) Personally, I don't see how it will help any of the injured or the families of the deceased, but I'm not here to tell you that you CAN'T pray; I don't have the right to assert that "power" just because I don't like your beliefs.

(16-04-2013 04:58 PM)Egor Wrote:  No. I will pray for them in public. That's how I show that I love them. I'm even willing to take the abusive crap of atheists and Calvinists in order to do that. And if something were to happen to you, I'd do the same for you--and I wouldn't care if others didn't like it. I would take the time and the thought to compose a prayer for you, because you are worth it to me and to the Lord.

[See above.]

Also, why would you pray for me? If God has a plan for everyone and everything happens for a reason, what's the point of prayer? Prayer wouldn't change the outcome of anything. If you were to pray for me, I think it would be a waste of breath and valuable time on your part; If I died, I would not know you prayed for me. I'D BE DEAD. If I were in a coma as a result of some horrible accident, I would not know you prayed; I would be unresponsive to the world around me. If I broke my leg, I would probably be aware that you prayed, because I posted a picture; I would wonder why you decided to pray for me. I've got a doctor and bed rest to help me heal. Prayer would have nothing to do with my healing.

In summary, if you truly felt the need to pray, why would an atheist site be a place that you would post this prayer? (I'm going by what you said about "praying in public.") I mean, you knew that people would have something to say "against it." You KNEW that people would wonder about your true intentions. I still wonder if you posted on here out of the sheer thrill of the possibility of "riling the atheists." I think you like the debate, even if it's all in regards to a mass, human tragedy.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
16-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Wait, Egor has offered his prayers to these forums in the past? Is the response to this prayer any different to the responses in the past?
16-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

'splains that

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-04-2013, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2013 01:33 PM by Heathen.)

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
16-04-2013, 10:51 PM

(16-04-2013 05:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have as much up my sleeve as you do...nothing. I have sympathy and compassion for the victims and their friends and families, not any more helpful than your public prayer.

Ah, don't kid yourself. It makes all the difference in the world.
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 10:55 PM

(16-04-2013 05:19 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Write a cheque, the money goes towards helping the victims and Something actually happens. Or sit on my arse write a prayer on a forum and pretend to myself it's somehow helpful. Consider

One actually works the other does nothing... Drinking Beverage

I knew a school principal once when I worked in the education office at Peterson AFB in Colorado. He was a Reservist. He told me about how he went to a Central American country on a mission (I don't remember if it was a Church or the Peace Corps.). Anyway, they built a school house for this town, this village, and they were very proud of themselves for it. He quit doing that sort of work when he went back a year later only to find that the police used it to torture suspects in.

If you have money to give, by all means give it. But don't forget to pray.
16-04-2013, 11:07 PM

(16-04-2013 05:32 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Ed, I'm not sure how interested you are in my opinion but here goes:

I don't know you very well, so I'm sure you'll take this as you will. The overly suspicious part of me is tempted to think you are actually still an atheist and this newfound Christianity of yours is all a ruse to get atheists to despise you and, through proxy, Christians and/or Christianity. But, that would just be silly...wouldn't it?

Yes.

Quote:The Conspiracy Theorist in me has been diminished to a large extent, thanks in part to listening to rational folk like the kind people herein. But, you do seem to have a knack for drawing out ugliness.

So did Jesus Christ. I guess it runs in the family. Undecided

Quote:What result had you expected from your post? How did it play out in your mind?

I actually thought it would be ignored. But I felt called to do it. So, it was just kind of an act of obedience to God. No big deal. But this is some of the most vehement bile I've experienced in this forum--and it's just a prayer. It's not even a "hot" prayer. It's just a funeral prayer, a eulogy. Frankly, I'm a little shocked. Remember the title of this post said it was a prayer. These commenters have come here specifically to read it and comment on it. I find that interesting.