A Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 02:46 AM

Question A Question
I should be writing chapter two in my most current book about how to believe in God, but a question just popped into my head and I had to rush over here and ask it: As atheists, why do you want the human race to survive?

It would seem to me that if there is no God, we might as well detonate all the thermonuclear bombs and bring this indignity called "life" to an end.

Don’t you agree? I'm not trying to start a fight here. I honestly want to know what you think.

[Image: 1307032252_atomic_bomb_mushroom_cloud_explosion.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 02:51 AM
RE: A Question
(03-04-2012 02:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  I should be writing chapter two in my most current book about how to believe in God, but a question just popped into my head and I had to rush over here and ask it: As atheists, why do you want the human race to survive?

It would seem to me that if there is no God, we might as well detonate all the thermonuclear bombs and bring this indignity called life to an end.
Don’t you agree?

That's a very selfish thing to say.

It seems to me you are worried about yourself.

As for me, I would like my daughter and her offspring to live a happy long life and for her to wish the same to her offspring without grand delusion. Along with a world and society knowing full well how the universe works and that it owes nothing to you.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
03-04-2012, 03:00 AM
(03-04-2012 02:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  why do you want the human race to survive?
Sometimes I do think the earth would be more beautiful without the human race polluting it and controlling all the animal life.
Quote:It
would seem to me that if there is no God, we might as well detonate all
the thermonuclear bombs and bring this indignity called "life" to an
end.
Is that what you would do Egor, would you want to destroy the earth and all the life that lives off the earth?
If you didn't have access to the launch button, would you kill yourself instead?
Would the Veridican become yet another suicide cult?

It seems to me that you don't enjoy your life here. Do you find your life an indignity?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-04-2012, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 03:27 AM by Logisch.)
Why wouldn't I want to see people survive?

I think that's sort of a silly thing to say. "If there's no god, why live? Why care if others live? What's the point?"

I think if someone's only reason to live is because they think their only and ultimate meaning to life is because there's an afterlife to enjoy, then the only thing perhaps from keeping them from wishing all of humanity dead is simply because if they live happily in this life that there is some sort of ultimate reward for "putting up with it" now... I think that's sad. Realistically, I've met people that think like that, and I think it's unfortunate that it's the only way they give their life cause.

Because, I get one shot at living on this rock we called earth, so why not make the best of it? Why not enjoy seeing my family enjoying life? We're a curious race. Curiosity is never ending with us. Because I'd love to see us become a space faring species. Because I would like to see a time when people can live together and enjoy each others company and be peaceful. Because I have so many questions without answers and I enjoy looking for the answers and I want to help others find those answers. It'll make us smarter, better, stronger as a species.

I think it is important to give myself a cause, to find a cause, to help others, to be accountable to others, life is amazing, the facts of life are amazing and the universe. Why wouldn't I want to see others enjoy that? I see no reason not to enjoy it and allow others to enjoy it.

If there is no god (and I don't think there is one) then I think it's all the more reason for humanity to understand life better, help each other and find hope in humanity and find their own purpose.... I think it's all the more reason for people to be proud of the fact that they ARE good without god, they CAN be good without god, they CAN be respectful without god... not because of a god, but because we're human, and we want the best for one another. Explore it, enjoy it, research and develop it, branch out and expand and really find out what we are truly capable of..... not blow it up. Why would you want to do such a thing?

Someday... I will die. The likelihood that someone will remember me is likely, at least for a few years. My close relatives will remember me and hopefully my memories and what made them happy.

100 years from then the likelihood that someone will remember me is unlikely. Or at least maybe a story or two passed down in the family, maybe some contributions.

200 years from now, someone in my family will likely only learn of me through genealogy or some sort of family record. Family will progress. People will move on. They will seek their own answers to life and things will go on. My life at that point is only what I've made it for those to enjoy and learn from my own mistakes and lessons and things passed down.

So I see no point in seeking mass fame, it's irrelevant to me. I will enjoy what I can, try to help others, help my family enjoy what they can. I love them dearly, they mean the world to me. I don't need a god to tell me that. If we haven't blown each other up from someone with their finger on a red button who thinks humanity doesn't deserve to live because of some radical religious movement that causes world war 3, then hopefully, at some point, my future generations in my family will enjoy a modern society where mankind has a purpose because it gave itself a purpose, not because it feels like it needs one from something in the sky that was created by man in primitive times of survival to cope with things they could not explain.

To think about that, to dream about that, that is also a good reason for me to have hope for humanity.

Life is amazing:

Isn't that a pretty awesome reason to continue to be curious, enjoy life and want the rest of humanity to continue?
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
03-04-2012, 03:04 AM
(03-04-2012 02:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  I should be writing chapter two in my most current book about how to believe in God, but a question just popped into my head and I had to rush over here and ask it: As atheists, why do you want the human race to survive?

It would seem to me that if there is no God, we might as well detonate all the thermonuclear bombs and bring this indignity called "life" to an end.

Don’t you agree? I'm not trying to start a fight here. I honestly want to know what you think.

So what you are actually saying here is without god you see no reason to live.

Why would an atheist want to die knowing it is the end? Surely christians with their eternal paradise waiting would be far more likely to want that. Why call life an indignity? and why presume we would? Just because someone resists being indoctrinated into some magical fairy cult doesn't mean that they do not hold other beliefs or aspirations of their own. The main difference is that they are usually based on observable reality and rational thinking, not illogic and superstition. Good to see that your cuntiness has not subsided any.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Eternal's post
03-04-2012, 03:08 AM
That sounds like a cynical worldview of humans.. or life in general. Life itself is a remarkable thing; since this is the only life we know of in the universe to date, it is pretty special.

The best reason for wanting humans to continue to live on is because we have a remarkable skill, our conscience minds. Most people want all life to continue to exist, but the whole intelligent life ideal is what makes the drive to keep other animals like dolphins and pet species alive as well.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Mmmmm....
Maybe it's something to do with....
The selfish gene?

It's basic and it's animal. A truely enlightened species would possibly do a cost / benefit analysis in regard to what would be best for the survival of the planet (and life in general) and conclude that the human race was not the most sensible direction for evolution to take.

Perhaps the virus, rat and cockroach caucuses are taking votes on this human-plague issue as we speak?

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Humanity's desire to survive is independent of our beliefs or cultural heritage. All animals have the desire to keep on living. A wolf doesn't believe in god, but it will fight tooth and nail for its own survival, and that of its pack. To say that without faith there is no survival instinct has no foundation. If you have any reason at all to believe it does, then please do share.

Now, as for atheists in particular, it is the lack of belief in an afterlife where everyone gets what they deserve that fuels the desire for a just and good life here and now. Atheists do not commit mass suicide to catch a ride on a comet or to transcend to another plane of existence. They do not murder their children so they can't grow up to do evil things and go to hell. They do not believe that suffering today will give you grace in the next life. If anything, atheists have more reason not to blow themselves up. There is nothing else.

And look at the world today. It is the parties of god that are retarding progress and peace, not atheists. It is the crazy religious people that are chanting for death and the end of the world. After all, they believe in their eternal reward. So it makes more sense to ask:
"If you believe that the good life is still to come, and this life doesn't matter. Why not just destroy/nuke the world so everyone can be happy with Jesus?"

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
03-04-2012, 05:39 AM
The responsibility of sentience is to seed the cosmos with organics. That's what I got. That crap of "without god we might as well die" is crap. I get to thinking negatively about my life 'cause I'm too in love with that dang Gwynnies and I hate to think of any unpleasantness in her life - but then I'm crazy as fuck. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Read Camus on his argument for-against suicide and you'll have your answer.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post