A Question for S.T.Ranger

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
04-06-2012, 12:17 AM
RE: A Question for S.T.Ranger
(03-06-2012 04:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  S.T. acutually thinks I was talking to him. It's why I kept it to the thrid person. It has NOTHING to do with him. The only reason I got into was to point out that his crap about "falling into idolatry" was total historical BS. The real, actual historical first covenant was to obtain favor in battle from the god of the armies. He needs to tell himself that it's something else, or his myths don't connect. The real history is found starting in the Enuma Elish, http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/enuma.htm . The only reason I post anything here is for the guests, to give them a small glimpse of the other side, and what really goes on in serious academia, and not the First Grade crap of the Babble Spouters. He hasn't even read Karen Armstrong's "A History of God", http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...5399093528# and is unable to say where or why even one sentence of it is wrong. He was unable to watch the Yahweh video, as he has no knowledge to argue against it. If he had an ounce of sense, he would have gone and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg , found the on-line refutations of it. They are great. They show how it is incorrect, in a few places. They also give interested people a small glimpse into how real scholars interact, instead of spouting Babble verses, and the really serious depth of knowledge some of them have of Ancient History, and the level of discussion that real scholars have. http://scrollhouse.com/downloadable/down...nk_id/249/

The spouting is a fascinating human behavior. The endless spouting and connecting of verses, especially the high art that Catholics have taken it to, in their nauseating sentimental drivel, is truely amazing ... that adults would actually engage in the behaviors. People with no other expertise or knowledge start doing "bible study", and it seems to fill some sort of need. At least they are good at something. Welcome to the world of BibleMan. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/BibleMan

Hey Bucky....thanks! The links are great.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2012, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 02:12 AM by Jedah.)
(03-06-2012 06:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Besides the "spouting behaviors" thingy, it might be interesting to have a discussion about "elitism" here, as it's been rasied in this context. It makes American's VERY uncomfortable. I don't see a way around it . (?)

Indeed, bro. Evil_monster

In my country, some poorly educated "celebrities" constantly appeal to their own ignorance in argument as if it's a certificate to make bad argument sound. I was amazed to see the same situation here Shocking .

There is nothing wrong being dropped out from high school, but it's also not a Medal of Honor or some sort of fallacy-free Adamantine shield. I see no reason a person contantly mentioned such irrelevant & private factor in an (should be) objective academic discussion.

We do have a psychologist here (looking at Mark Fulton Big Grin ). Your professional opinion, doc? Tongue

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2012, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 06:32 AM by Mark Fulton.)
From Wikipedia:

"Biblical literalism (also called Biblicism, Biblical fundamentalism or Biblical_inerrancy) is the interpretation or translation of the explicit and primary sense of words in the Bible.[1][2] A literal Biblical interpretation is associated with the fundamentalist and evangelicalhermeneutical approach to scripture—the historical-grammatical method—and is used extensively by conservative Christians[3], in contrast to the historical-critical method of liberal Christians. The essence of this approach focuses upon the author's intent as the primary meaning of the text.[4] Literal interpretation does place emphasis upon the referential aspect of the words or terms in the text. It does not, however, mean a complete denial of literary aspects, genre, or figures of speech within the text (e.g., parable, allegory, simile, or metaphor).[5] Also literalism does not necessarily lead to total and complete agreement upon one single interpretation for any given passage."

You, ST, are a Biblical literalist. In my opinion you are therefore one of the vulgar crowd, the cattle class, the hoi-polloi, the pseudo-intellectual, the unstudied, the stupid consumer at the end of the line. People like you are a dime a dozen, and most of you think you have a superior understanding of scripture. Yet you are there to be taken advantage of, and you have been for hundreds, no, thousands, of years.

Most of the people, in fact I would say probably all, on this forum, are primarily interested in the historical-critical method of investigating Christian dogma. All of us have risen above the cattle class mentality some of us were born into. Most of us are humanists. It bothers us that people like yourself are being used, because we are very aware that the whole system is rotten to the core and stinks with intellectual, political and economic corruption. We refuse to believe bullshit, because it has been debunked, many many times, and we have a healthy pride in our own intellects.

Many people here have devoted much effort to rehabilitate you, yet instead of investigating their ideas you throw dirt in their faces, and you get all paranoid when you are nailed in your own petty foolishness.

If you continue to adamantly refuse to lift yourself above your bottom dwelling status, do not expect to be taken seriously here. I, for one, dislike seeing people degrade themselves. And it is very tedious having a discussion moving forward only to have it dragged into the gutter by your fragrantly ignorant commentary.

[font=sans-serif]
[/font]
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
04-06-2012, 04:04 AM
(04-06-2012 12:58 AM)Jedah Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 06:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Besides the "spouting behaviors" thingy, it might be interesting to have a discussion about "elitism" here, as it's been rasied in this context. It makes American's VERY uncomfortable. I don't see a way around it . (?)

Indeed, bro. Evil_monster

In my country, some poorly educated "celebrities" constantly appeal to their own ignorance in argument as if it's a certificate to make bad argument sound. I was amazed to see the same situation here Shocking .

There is nothing wrong being dropped out from high school, but it's also not a Medal of Honor or some sort of fallacy-free Adamantine shield. I see no reason a person contantly mentioned such irrelevant & private factor in an (should be) objective academic discussion.

We do have a psychologist here (looking at Mark Fulton Big Grin ). Your professional opinion, doc? Tongue
I'm not actually a psychologist, but a doctor of general medicine. I have nearly 20 years experience dealing with the psychological, psychiatric and more physical issues of my patients. I do agree with everything you have said so far. I honestly don't want to make a big thing out of what I do for a job. There are people here just as, or more, knowledgable about philosophy and history than me. What is more, the argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam) is not valid (although I admit to employing it very occasionally.)
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
04-06-2012, 05:35 AM
(03-06-2012 10:44 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's Gwynnite, you sillies. And I talk about her all too much. Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWSxtJHJ...re=related

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Can't be no apostate 'cause I got Holy Spirit (which I consider to be tao.) Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
04-06-2012, 06:37 AM
(04-06-2012 06:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Can't be no apostate 'cause I got Holy Spirit (which I consider to be tao.) Tongue

Exactly, (see link #2) Tongue

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-06-2012, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 06:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-06-2012 05:42 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 04:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay. Seriously why would you want to survive your own death? And if you do, seriously what is your plan for making that happen? ... Think I got those in the proper order.

I will treat this as a serious question(s), GM:

Quote:why would you want to survive your own death?

Why would one...not want to?

I can tell you why (one would not want): because they hate the life they have now. Many people will commit suicide this year because of that. And that...is tragic.

No, that's not it. The knowledge of my temporariness is precisely what keeps me alive. It's what makes me want to suck the marrow out of every fuckin' incredible moment. There is no meaning to be found in the eternal. Hell, there's no meaning at all except for that which is artificial and transient.

(03-06-2012 05:42 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  As for me, I have no question about life after death, and this is result of what is taught in scripture, and what I base my beliefs on.

From the deaths I've observed of devout Christians, that blind faith will be of little consolation on your deathbed. That's a bit late to realize the truth for my taste is all. ... But to each his own.

(04-06-2012 03:40 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You, ST, are a Biblical literalist. In my opinion you are therefore one of the vulgar crowd, the cattle class, the hoi-polloi, the pseudo-intellectual, the unstudied, the stupid consumer at the end of the line. People like you are a dime a dozen, and most of you think you have a superior understanding of scripture. Yet you are there to be taken advantage of, and you have been for hundreds, no, thousands, of years. ...

Damn, Doc Mark, you been hitting the Androgel? Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2012, 11:11 PM
(04-06-2012 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 05:42 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  I will treat this as a serious question(s), GM:

Why would one...not want to?

I can tell you why (one would not want): because they hate the life they have now. Many people will commit suicide this year because of that. And that...is tragic.

No, that's not it. The knowledge of my temporariness is precisely what keeps me alive. It's what makes me want to suck the marrow out of every fuckin' incredible moment. There is no meaning to be found in the eternal. Hell, there's no meaning at all except for that which is artificial and transient.

(03-06-2012 05:42 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  As for me, I have no question about life after death, and this is result of what is taught in scripture, and what I base my beliefs on.

From the deaths I've observed of devout Christians, that blind faith will be of little consolation on your deathbed. That's a bit late to realize the truth for my taste is all. ... But to each his own.

(04-06-2012 03:40 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You, ST, are a Biblical literalist. In my opinion you are therefore one of the vulgar crowd, the cattle class, the hoi-polloi, the pseudo-intellectual, the unstudied, the stupid consumer at the end of the line. People like you are a dime a dozen, and most of you think you have a superior understanding of scripture. Yet you are there to be taken advantage of, and you have been for hundreds, no, thousands, of years. ...

Damn, Doc Mark, you been hitting the Androgel? Big Grin

Hi girlyman....no androgel LOL (that's testoserone gel for anyone who doesn't know.)

I'm sure some may think i sound arrogant and nasty towards ST, and they may have a point.

ST...please try not to take it personally. You are a nice guy. But you are sprouting jibberish. Biblical literalism Drooling is yesterday's news. Period. Many people have gently tried to tell you, and you just don't get it. Hence my very direct words.

If you become more receptive to what people are telling you, the conversation will be more cordial. If you stop endlessly repeating yourself, you will get more respect. I suspect you think you haven't been listened to, or understood. I think you have been granted more than a fair go. Realise that most of us have heard arguments like yours about the validity of scripture ad nauseum, and we point blank refuse to get drawn in. So there is no point repeating them. Nobody will take the bait.
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
04-06-2012, 11:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight
see 1.1.1

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post