A Question for S.T.Ranger

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
RE: A Question for S.T.Ranger
(12-06-2012 03:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 03:30 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  And I agree that some study is in order. You may find it a fascinating study. Whether it is embraced as true or not, it is very interesting to track the understanding of what happens to the dead once they pass away.
Dead bodies usually start to rot after a few days. What's so interesting about that? Drinking Beverage

If it were a matter that scripture taught that men were golems, there would be no interesting issues. However, that scripture teaches that man is, depending upon your view, no less than two parts, being body and spirit, or for those that take the view that man is three part, body, soul, and spirit, that leads to the almost universal belief of most men that walk the earth now and in the days before us that the inner man...goes somewhere after the "dead body starts to rot."

As I said, the view that you take is of little consequence, nor does it change what scripture teaches. However, as I said, it is a fascinating study.

GTY
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 04:10 PM by S.T. Ranger.)
(12-06-2012 03:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  As usual, not one piece of external evidence. A waste of time.

(12-06-2012 03:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 03:30 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  Jesus affirms the concept of Sheol in His teaching.
How fascinating. A Jew affirms a Jewish concept. How unique. Can someone please tell this guy what "circular" means".

If you could come down off your high horse long enough to actually engage in conversation...you might actually find the discussion interesting.

You claim Hell is basically a new idea, though I would bet you have no clue as to what Hell actually is. I gave you a few points to keep in mind, as they may not be mentioned on wikipedia, so that it does not turn out like your knowledge concerning the First Covenant did.

Just trying to help, my friend.

There is nothing circular about it, as there must be a beginning of discussion before it can actually progress to "circular."

GTY
12-06-2012, 04:22 PM
(12-06-2012 04:06 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 03:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You claim Hell is basically a new idea, though I would bet you have no clue as to what Hell actually is. I gave you a few points to keep in mind, as they may not be mentioned on wikipedia, so that it does not turn out like your knowledge concerning the First Covenant did.
Just trying to help, my friend.

There is nothing circular about it, as there must be a beginning of discussion before it can actually progress to "circular."

GTY
I never said hell was an new idea.
As I said, (as has been proven over and over in this waste of time), someone who thinks babble quotes prove babble concepts need to be told what "circular" means.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2012, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 05:42 PM by S.T. Ranger.)
(12-06-2012 04:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 04:06 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  Just trying to help, my friend.

GTY
I never said hell was an new idea.
As I said, (as has been proven over and over in this waste of time), someone who thinks babble quotes prove babble concepts need to be told what "circular" means.

Direct quote:

Quote:The Jews, (in their world view), had a thingy they called Sheol. It was more of a "underworld", (like the Greeks). It was not a place of "fire". Not sure where Sheol came from. Will have to learn.

What you hope to do is correlate Hell with the concept of Sheol, and say..."It was not a place of fire."

And as I said, two entirely different destinations, Sheol corresponding to Hades, showing that this concept predates Greek influence, as well as Babylonian influence. While sheol is used in a number of ways throughout the Old Testament, there was a concept of life after death, as well as a concept of judgment, as well as a concept of resurrection, though, it has to be admitted, teaching concerning these was very limited compared to the amount of teaching provided by Jesus Christ.

There is great controversy today among those involved in Modern Christendom concerning the topic of Hell. As I said, believer or not, it is a facinating study and when we look at what is taught in scripture and what is taught by the different various groups, it becomes all the more interesting.

GTY
12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
"HAIDES (Aides, Aidoneus, or Hades) was the King of the Underworld, the god of death and the dead. He presided over funeral rites and defended the right of the dead to due burial. Haides was also the god of the hidden wealth of the earth, from the fertile soil with nourished the seed-grain, to the mined wealth of gold, silver and other metals.
Hades was devoured by Kronos as soon as he was born, along with four of his siblings. Zeus later caused the Titan to disgorge them, and together they drove the Titan gods from heaven and locked them away in the pit of Tartaros. When the three victorious brothers then drew lots for the division of the cosmos, Hades received the third portion, the dark dismal realm of the underworld, as his domain."

In fact you have proven nothing. And again you have provided no external reference to support even 1 assertion. So what, if they were 10 destinations. They were all equally mythological. Hades IS Greek. The fact that Sheol correlates with Hades proves nothing. Where is the archaeological dating evidence for either ?

If your god revealed truth, why did she reveal Sheol, and THEN something different ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2012, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 06:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-06-2012 04:01 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 03:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Dead bodies usually start to rot after a few days. What's so interesting about that? Drinking Beverage

If it were a matter that scripture taught that men were golems, there would be no interesting issues. However, that scripture teaches that man is, depending upon your view, no less than two parts, being body and spirit, or for those that take the view that man is three part, body, soul, and spirit, that leads to the almost universal belief of most men that walk the earth now and in the days before us that the inner man...goes somewhere after the "dead body starts to rot."

That belief ain't nearly as universal as you make it out to be. All arguments for dualism, to date, are untenable. But I am always interested in hearing new ones.

(12-06-2012 04:01 PM)S.T. Ranger Wrote:  As I said, the view that you take is of little consequence, nor does it change what scripture teaches. However, as I said, it is a fascinating study.

Watching you guys bicker over scripture is like watching literature geeks bicker over the origins and historical accuracy of the Canterbury Tales or the Brothers Grimm. It's academically interesting but don't mean dick to me practically. All I give a shit about is your bottom line. I couldn't give less of a shit about your "sacred" texts. If I believed in a postmortem preservation of identity then I would feel a responsibility to myself to at least plausibly rationalize it without just appealing to blind faith and a wish and a prayer. I tried, I failed. Don't mean I ain't receptive to new arguments.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-06-2012, 09:37 PM
St doesn't argue over anything. He's incapable of presenting an argument. All he can say is that no one (except him) is discussing scripture. Yet he fails to discuss scripture! Or anything else of relevance. Bucky just blows him away with knowledge and eloquence.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
(12-06-2012 09:37 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  St doesn't argue over anything. He's incapable of presenting an argument. All he can say is that no one (except him) is discussing scripture. Yet he fails to discuss scripture! Or anything else of relevance. Bucky just blows him away with knowledge and eloquence.

Fuck scripture.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-06-2012, 12:06 AM
(12-06-2012 09:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 09:37 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  St doesn't argue over anything. He's incapable of presenting an argument. All he can say is that no one (except him) is discussing scripture. Yet he fails to discuss scripture! Or anything else of relevance. Bucky just blows him away with knowledge and eloquence.

Fuck scripture.
Beware of paper cuts.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-06-2012, 08:12 AM
(13-06-2012 12:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 09:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fuck scripture.

Beware of paper cuts.

What a great reply Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume