A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Question A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven
A question raised on Quora.com...

"From a Christian point of view, is it better to be an atheist that does good works, a Christian that does no good works (and is generally selfish) or a Christian that does bad things—murder, rape, pedophilia, etc?"

• Will God allow a pedophile to repent of his sins and enter heaven?
• Do Christians judge you more by the beliefs in your head, or by your behaviour toward your fellow man?

Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2016, 11:04 AM
RE: A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven
(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  • Will God allow a pedophile to repent of his sins and enter heaven?

Depends. There is something called Empty Hell Theory so such things is possible.

(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  • Do Christians judge you more by the beliefs in your head, or by your behaviour toward your fellow man?

Again, it depends. Protestants have the sola fide rule which state that only true faith is basis of god judgement. Good deeds aren't or weren't necessary.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
22-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Romans 3:22
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
22-03-2016, 02:13 PM
(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  A question raised on Quora.com...

"From a Christian point of view, is it better to be an atheist that does good works, a Christian that does no good works (and is generally selfish) or a Christian that does bad things—murder, rape, pedophilia, etc?"

• Do Christians judge you more by the beliefs in your head, or by your behaviour toward your fellow man?

Consider

There is no answer for Christians. The NT contradicts itself, on the matter. The old "saved by faith alone" or "saved by works" debate. Christians have disagreed over this for 2000 years.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-03-2016, 02:16 PM
(22-03-2016 02:06 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Romans 3:22

Welcome to the TTA forums Scott. Smile

Unfortunately, simply quoting the Christian bible chapter and verse doesn't really address my question as it's seen from your personal point of view. It's not acceptable here that theists use their bible as so-called "evidence" for anything, as it's yet to be proved by anyone that it actually is the work of a purported omnipotent entity. So... do you agree that paedophiles should be welcome in heaven if they repent of their sins?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
22-03-2016, 02:18 PM
It is better to live a good life and treat others equally under a secular form of Justice.

Asking how many leprechauns are needed in a sacrifice before you are allowed to enter the gates of fairy land after you die is a waste of time and energy unless you are writing a book of fiction in order to make money from gullible people who believe that this kind of crap is real.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
22-03-2016, 02:38 PM
(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  A question raised on Quora.com...

Consider

I think it's obvious it's better to do what you feel is right not just for yourself but for everyone around you, in your community or just society in general than to do bad things with no regards to the consequences because you think you will live forever in a paradise anyway

Quite frankly, it really shouldn't matter what happens after we die. We do know that this existence is real and this planet/other people are real so we should strive to be respectful of others and do right by them. If we do wrong we should face the punishment, make amends, etc. but it's wrong to say "Hey, this life doesn't matter, my actions are meaningless here, I will go to Heaven for eternity, that's all that matters." That kind of behavior is immoral and it removes all responsibility, as long as this God in the sky forgives you why does it matter what humans think? You could live to be 100 years old but what does that matter in comparison to eternity? Isn't that what really matters in the end?

I can't answer this question from a Christian point of view, I haven't been one in almost 20 years but I would think a true Christian would think as long as you are honest and faithful you can do anything and still be allowed into Heaven if you repent. So if as an atheist, I try to do good things and live a good life, I am murdered by someone who broke into my home, they later repent and Jesus saves them, he gets to Heaven and I end up in Hell. I am the victim but I still get the eternal punishment, there is nothing about that which can be seen as moral or justifiable.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
22-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Depends on who you believe as a christian.. the writings and teachings of Paul or the notions of that Jesus guy.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Like everything else of "faith" - you decide what you want first, then make your justifications based on that..................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-03-2016, 03:03 PM
(22-03-2016 02:16 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:06 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Romans 3:22

Welcome to the TTA forums Scott. Smile

Unfortunately, simply quoting the Christian bible chapter and verse doesn't really address my question as it's seen from your personal point of view. It's not acceptable here that theists use their bible as so-called "evidence" for anything, as it's yet to be proved by anyone that it actually is the work of a purported omnipotent entity. So... do you agree that paedophiles should be welcome in heaven if they repent of their sins?

You asked for a Christian point of view. As a Christian, my point of view is based on what I believe to be Christ's teaching i.e.: The Bible.