A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-03-2016, 04:11 PM
RE: A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven
(23-03-2016 03:51 PM)ScottD Wrote:  I do know. No other religion in the world has a "prophet" who claimed to be ......the only path to eternal salvation.
what does it mean - the only path to eternal salvation? how is he the only path?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
23-03-2016, 04:13 PM
(23-03-2016 04:10 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  what is the name of the prophet who claimed to be God and where is this claim written exactly?
why can't an atheist who does good works enter heaven?

Define prophet

Define god

Define heaven

Rolleyes
ask ScottD Smile

23-03-2016, 04:17 PM
(23-03-2016 04:04 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 03:51 PM)ScottD Wrote:  

If one actually reads what supposedly were the words of Jesus he said he was not God and to not worship him. Paul came along later and decided that Jesus was part God and should be worshiped, ye I am aware that other passages of the Bible have Jesus saying the opposite, but that is how the Babble works. Anything in the Babble has some other place in the Babble contradicting it.

That is just not true based on the bible.

John 14:9-11 - Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?”
23-03-2016, 04:18 PM
(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!

Why would anybody believe anything for which there is no evidence? You are admitting that you are making totally irrational decisions and wondering why people are laughing at you.

Quote:I'm responding to posts and having decent conversations with some folks.
If your offended by my post, stay off the thread!

Not how public forums work; besides, I'm not offended by your being irrational, just curious how anybody can be that way.

(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  !@#$%..i'm not making any claims. I'm giving my point of view based on my belief.

You are claiming that god exists. Phrasing it as "this is just what I believe" doesn't alter that.

Quote:And thank you, I am right.

Facepalm
So much for not making claims.... now provide one shred of evidence to show that the bible is a credible account and that we should take it seriously. Quoting the bible doesn't accomplish that since you can't use the claim as evidence for the truth of the claim.

(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)ScottD Wrote:  I'd like to ask something in return.
How do you not know answers to very simple questions about Christianity and still make a decision to be atheist?

I didn't make a decision to be an atheist as such. I looked at what people were saying about gods and compared it to other claims about gods and weighed the complete lack of evidence supporting any of it. There was no decision to be made as there is no reason to believe any of it. When did you decide to be an aleprechaunist?

Quote:It seems If I were making a decision that may have eternal consequences, I would make an effort to know everything I can about a religion that claims to have the answers?

Many religions claim to have the answers but none can provide any backing for their claims. How can you possibly make a decision that may have eternal consequences based on nothing more than what you'd like to be true? I base decisions on the best evidence I can find and when I can find no reason to believe something, I don't. What I might want to be true is irrelevant.

(23-03-2016 03:42 PM)ScottD Wrote:  I do know.

You do not know, you believe. Saying that your faith equates to knowledge is a bastardization of what it means to know something.

Quote: No other religion in the world has a "prophet" who claimed to be God and the only path to eternal salvation.

Even if I granted that as true, how could that possibly be compelling without evidence that he was what is claimed? Ignoring the fact that xians argue about whether he made that claim or not, Jim Jones, Sun Myung Moon, David Koresh, and many others have made similar claims. Why aren't you a Moonie?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
23-03-2016, 04:19 PM
(23-03-2016 04:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:10 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Define prophet

Define god

Define heaven

Rolleyes
ask ScottD Smile

Jesus.

John 14:9-11 - Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?”
23-03-2016, 04:22 PM
(23-03-2016 04:10 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:07 PM)Alla Wrote:  what is the name of the prophet who claimed to be God and where is this claim written exactly?
why can't an atheist who does good works enter heaven?

Define prophet

Define god

Define heaven

Rolleyes

Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."…
23-03-2016, 04:25 PM
(23-03-2016 04:19 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Jesus.
1)Where does it say here that prophet Jesus is God?
2)Is Jesus "the Son"? or "the Father"?

23-03-2016, 04:26 PM
(23-03-2016 04:17 PM)ScottD Wrote:  That is just not true based on the bible.

By one possible interpretation of that... it could also be read that he is saying that god works through him. A big problem with your big multiple-choice book is that so many viewpoints are expressed you can find verses that support just about any position.

Matthew 24:36
No one knows about that day or hour, not even the Son, but the Father only.

John 5:26
For as the Father has life in Himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.

John 5:30
By myself, I can do nothing: I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who has sent me.

Matthew 27:46
My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
23-03-2016, 04:26 PM
(23-03-2016 04:18 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!

Why would anybody believe anything for which there is no evidence? You are admitting that you are making totally irrational decisions and wondering why people are laughing at you.

Quote:I'm responding to posts and having decent conversations with some folks.
If your offended by my post, stay off the thread!

Not how public forums work; besides, I'm not offended by your being irrational, just curious how anybody can be that way.

(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  !@#$%..i'm not making any claims. I'm giving my point of view based on my belief.

You are claiming that god exists. Phrasing it as "this is just what I believe" doesn't alter that.

Quote:And thank you, I am right.

Facepalm
So much for not making claims.... now provide one shred of evidence to show that the bible is a credible account and that we should take it seriously. Quoting the bible doesn't accomplish that since you can't use the claim as evidence for the truth of the claim.

(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)ScottD Wrote:  I'd like to ask something in return.
How do you not know answers to very simple questions about Christianity and still make a decision to be atheist?

I didn't make a decision to be an atheist as such. I looked at what people were saying about gods and compared it to other claims about gods and weighed the complete lack of evidence supporting any of it. There was no decision to be made as there is no reason to believe any of it. When did you decide to be an aleprechaunist?

Quote:It seems If I were making a decision that may have eternal consequences, I would make an effort to know everything I can about a religion that claims to have the answers?

Many religions claim to have the answers but none can provide any backing for their claims. How can you possibly make a decision that may have eternal consequences based on nothing more than what you'd like to be true? I base decisions on the best evidence I can find and when I can find no reason to believe something, I don't. What I might want to be true is irrelevant.

(23-03-2016 03:42 PM)ScottD Wrote:  I do know.

You do not know, you believe. Saying that your faith equates to knowledge is a bastardization of what it means to know something.

Quote: No other religion in the world has a "prophet" who claimed to be God and the only path to eternal salvation.

Even if I granted that as true, how could that possibly be compelling without evidence that he was what is claimed? Ignoring the fact that xians argue about whether he made that claim or not, Jim Jones, Sun Myung Moon, David Koresh, and many others have made similar claims. Why aren't you a Moonie?

Please people, I am not here to convince anyone. I cannot prove God's existence.
I answered a specific thread. stick to it.
23-03-2016, 04:28 PM
(23-03-2016 04:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."…
1) where does it say here that Jesus is God?
2) why can't an atheist who does good works enter heaven?
3)what does it mean: I am the way? HOW is He the way? for WHOM is He the way?

[+] 3 users Like Alla's post