A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-03-2016, 02:06 PM
RE: A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven
(24-03-2016 12:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure she has a demon. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-03-2016, 09:24 PM
How does one go about getting into a fictional place ?

I for one would like to end up in the DC universe, but what can I do to ensure that I will end up there after I die ?

I really wanna go there, so if someone comes along and promises me that they know how I can get there, I'd be inclined to listen.

What do I gotta do ?

If this person knows how desperate I am and how willing I am to do anything, then how would you expect our interactions to be ?

I think we all know what this kind of dynamic results in.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
25-03-2016, 09:51 PM
(25-03-2016 02:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 12:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure she has a demon. Yes

She frightens Girly.

#sigh
25-03-2016, 10:48 PM
(23-03-2016 03:42 PM)ScottD Wrote:  How do you not know answers to very simple questions about Christianity and still make a decision to be atheist?

Speaking for Myself only, I just don't believe that Christianity has any referent in reality. I do not believe in eternal life. I do not believe that people can come back from the dead. I do not believe in heaven or hell.

Quote:If I were making a decision that may have eternal consequences, I would make an effort to know everything I can about a religion that claims to have the answers?

Been there, done that. Not satisfied with the answers, and I'm prepared to take My chances with the alleged "eternal consequences." I believe wholeheartedly that any god worthy of respect would not have expelled Adam and Eve from the Garden for seeking knowledge; would not have required Jesus to die for the purpose of substitutionary atonement; and would not, under any circumstances whatsoever create a place of eternal punishment for anyone.
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
25-03-2016, 10:52 PM
(25-03-2016 09:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  How does one go about getting into a fictional place ?

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind wandering off to Krynn. There's a chap in Palanthas I'd like to hang out with.
26-03-2016, 07:17 AM
(23-03-2016 02:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!

[Image: who-cares-about-reasoning.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-03-2016, 08:21 AM
ScottD- have you taken time to learn the bunny hop dance ?

As Harvey explained to me, it's the only way you can get into heaven. With this kind of eternal consequence, learning this hopping dance should take priority over any finite worries you have.

Harvey explained the dance to me and only me.
It's a shame I won't see any of you in heaven.

And Scott, this is the important part. I won't see any of you in heaven because I'll be dead.

Dead is dead. No longer alive.
There are no eternal consequences, but should I be wrong and my mind is free from all the physical restraints of this world, then there is nothing that can restrain me.

I will be free to do as I please.
Nothing can stop me.
Nothing can harm me.

And more than likely my experience will simply be all in my own mind.

All of religion is all in your mind.
All the gods, the devils, demons and angels, heaven and hell. Only when you can let all of that mental crap go, will you be free to live a happy unreligious life.

It's quite wonderful to live life in its finite version, this one shot, this brief glimpse at a world and with people we will never see again.

And that is why we strive to make the world a better place for others who will briefly see this world, because we want them to enjoy it as much as we do.

So if you want to think about consequences, think about what you are doing to make things better for the people who will be born tomorrow.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
29-03-2016, 07:44 AM
(23-03-2016 04:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."…
1) where does it say here that Jesus is God?
If you had known Me, you would have known My Father (God) also
2) why can't an atheist who does good works enter heaven?
no one comes to the Father but through Me
3)what does it mean: I am the way? HOW is He the way? for WHOM is He the way?
no one comes to the Father but through Me (the opposite of no one is everyone)
29-03-2016, 07:52 AM
(23-03-2016 04:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:17 PM)ScottD Wrote:  That is just not true based on the bible.

John 14:9-11 - Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?”

By one possible interpretation of that... it could also be read that he is saying that god works through him. A big problem with your big multiple-choice book is that so many viewpoints are expressed you can find verses that support just about any position.

Matthew 24:36
No one knows about that day or hour, not even the Son, but the Father only.

John 5:26
For as the Father has life in Himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.

John 5:30
By myself, I can do nothing: I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who has sent me.

Matthew 27:46
My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?

The Bible is interpreted as a whole work. You can pick individual verses and interpret them as meaning almost anything. As a whole, the Bible conveys there is a trinity and they are one. father/son/holy spitrit
29-03-2016, 07:57 AM
(23-03-2016 04:04 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 03:51 PM)ScottD Wrote:  

If one actually reads what supposedly were the words of Jesus he said he was not God and to not worship him. Paul came along later and decided that Jesus was part God and should be worshiped, ye I am aware that other passages of the Bible have Jesus saying the opposite, but that is how the Babble works. Anything in the Babble has some other place in the Babble contradicting it.

You haven't taken the time to study the Bibe, or you would know what you are saying is not true. You, loike other atheists rely solely on what they hear from others regarding scripture.