A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-03-2016, 01:19 PM
RE: A Question for Theists (and others) About Heaven
*PLEASE* learn to use the quote tags; when you embed comments in a reply use the /quote tag to suspend the existing text, add your comments, then use quote to continue quoting the original. If you are adding comments at the end after the last /quote tag then don't add any tags. The way you are doing it makes your posts very hard to parse.

(23-03-2016 12:38 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Faith is required because we lack virtue.

Speak for yourself.

Quote:Life decisions are influenced by faith.

Speak for yourself.

Quote:Faith is only the beginning. Faith brings understanding. Faith brings a changed heart. It's real, I've experienced it and I've seen it in others lives.

Faith allows you to delude yourself into believing whatever makes you feel good. It supports every religion that has ever been. Believing on faith is living in a fantasy world. That's not to say it can't affect your life because it obviously does; it just is not a reasonable epistemology in any sense.

Quote:If someone you loved were dying, what would you tell them? To be a good person?

Huh? I'd tell them that I loved them and I'd miss them and thank them for being part of my life. That's quite a non-sequitur.

Quote:You've made good decisions for life, what about after? Time goes on much longer than life.

Yes, the evidence is that time, and the universe, will go on without me. There is zero evidence that "I" will continue in any way. The physical components will be recycled but my consciousness will be gone. No matter how nice it might be to think something else will happen, without evidence it is not reasonable to believe any of it. This is the one life that we all KNOW we get and it is really sad to see so many people wasting so much of it on wishful thinking.

(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  That is my basis for my point of view. Not trying to prove it's true.
Let me know when you know in your heart it is true.

You are talking to people who know things based on what is in their mind, not their hearts. Believing because you "feel" it to be true is worthless. If you want to convince us that you are right then provide the evidence. If you just want to preach then you may as well leave since it will get you nowhere.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-03-2016, 01:21 PM
(23-03-2016 01:01 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 09:54 AM)ScottD Wrote:  

But, you see, I'm not angry. You're assuming that because I don't agree that I'm angry. I bear no ill will nor any anger toward you. So, yes, you are generalizing.

(23-03-2016 09:54 AM)ScottD Wrote:  You seemed angry. But ok. "You folks" bad choice of words.
23-03-2016, 01:47 PM
(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  "From a Christian point of view, is it better to be an atheist that does good works, a Christian that does no good works (and is generally selfish) or a Christian that does bad things—murder, rape, pedophilia, etc?"
Of course, the first is better.
(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  • Will God allow a pedophile to repent of his sins and enter heaven?
Yes, God forgives those who repent. But not all who repent and are forgiven will enter kingdom of God.
(22-03-2016 10:18 AM)SYZ Wrote:  • Do Christians judge you more by the beliefs in your head, or by your behaviour toward your fellow man?
As a Christian, I judge actions of people.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
23-03-2016, 02:04 PM
(23-03-2016 01:21 PM)ScottD Wrote:  (original text here; didn't show up on reply)

[Image: Helpful-TTA-quote-hint_zpsxzwmbhsa.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
23-03-2016, 02:22 PM
(23-03-2016 01:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  *PLEASE* learn to use the quote tags; when you embed comments in a reply use the /quote tag to suspend the existing text, add your comments, then use quote to continue quoting the original. If you are adding comments at the end after the last /quote tag then don't add any tags. The way you are doing it makes your posts very hard to parse.

(23-03-2016 12:38 PM)ScottD Wrote:  Faith is required because we lack virtue.

Speak for yourself.

Quote:Life decisions are influenced by faith.

Speak for yourself.

Quote:Faith is only the beginning. Faith brings understanding. Faith brings a changed heart. It's real, I've experienced it and I've seen it in others lives.

Faith allows you to delude yourself into believing whatever makes you feel good. It supports every religion that has ever been. Believing on faith is living in a fantasy world. That's not to say it can't affect your life because it obviously does; it just is not a reasonable epistemology in any sense.

Quote:If someone you loved were dying, what would you tell them? To be a good person?

Huh? I'd tell them that I loved them and I'd miss them and thank them for being part of my life. That's quite a non-sequitur.

Quote:You've made good decisions for life, what about after? Time goes on much longer than life.

Yes, the evidence is that time, and the universe, will go on without me. There is zero evidence that "I" will continue in any way. The physical components will be recycled but my consciousness will be gone. No matter how nice it might be to think something else will happen, without evidence it is not reasonable to believe any of it. This is the one life that we all KNOW we get and it is really sad to see so many people wasting so much of it on wishful thinking.

(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  That is my basis for my point of view. Not trying to prove it's true.
Let me know when you know in your heart it is true.

You are talking to people who know things based on what is in their mind, not their hearts. Believing because you "feel" it to be true is worthless. If you want to convince us that you are right then provide the evidence. If you just want to preach then you may as well leave since it will get you nowhere.

(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!
I'm responding to posts and having decent conversations with some folks.
If your offended by my post, stay off the thread!
23-03-2016, 02:36 PM
(23-03-2016 02:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!

Well, that's the thing. You rather do, if you want anyone here to respond to your questions like "what about after?" with anything other than, at best, blank stares.

Atheists - or, at least, the vast majority of them - do not believe in Heaven, Hell, or anything even remotely similar. No reincarnation, no nothing. When you die, that's it. "What about after?" Well, it's not really a concern. We won't be there after.

If you want anyone to give serious consideration to what will happen to them after, you will have to first establish that there will be a them for things to happen to.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
23-03-2016, 02:42 PM
(23-03-2016 02:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 01:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  *PLEASE* learn to use the quote tags; when you embed comments in a reply use the /quote tag to suspend the existing text, add your comments, then use quote to continue quoting the original. If you are adding comments at the end after the last /quote tag then don't add any tags. The way you are doing it makes your posts very hard to parse.

Speak for yourself.

Speak for yourself.

(23-03-2016 01:02 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!
I'm responding to posts and having decent conversations with some folks.
If your offended by my post, stay off the thread!

Now who's angry? Might want to get a doctor to look at that beam in your eye.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
23-03-2016, 02:45 PM
(23-03-2016 02:36 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 02:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  There is no evidence! I don't have to prove anything!

Well, that's the thing. You rather do, if you want anyone here to respond to your questions like "what about after?" with anything other than, at best, blank stares.

Atheists - or, at least, the vast majority of them - do not believe in Heaven, Hell, or anything even remotely similar. No reincarnation, no nothing. When you die, that's it. "What about after?" Well, it's not really a concern. We won't be there after.

If you want anyone to give serious consideration to what will happen to them after, you will have to first establish that there will be a them for things to happen to.

The original thread had nothing to do with that. If I want to debate, I'll find that discussion. Besides, debating God's existence is moot. No way to definitively prove either side of the debate.
23-03-2016, 02:48 PM
(23-03-2016 02:42 PM)julep Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 02:22 PM)ScottD Wrote:  

Now who's angry? Might want to get a doctor to look at that beam in your eye.

[/quote]

Wait, did you just quote the bible?
gonna have to prove that my brother.
[/quote]
23-03-2016, 02:49 PM
(23-03-2016 02:48 PM)ScottD Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 02:42 PM)julep Wrote:  Now who's angry? Might want to get a doctor to look at that beam in your eye.

Quote:Wait, did you just quote the bible?
gonna have to prove that verse my brother.