A Question for the Canucks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2012, 07:16 PM
A Question for the Canucks
Why is it the two major Canadian hard-rock bands of the 70's/80's both feature lead singers with super high voices?

On the way home tonight I heard a song by Triumph and one by Rush. It was the first time I noticed that the singer in Triumph has a voice almost as screechingly high as Geddy Lee.

So what's up, Canucks? Something in the water? Pants on too tight? I desperately need to know!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 07:23 PM
RE: A Question for the Canucks
It was the era of tight pants and big hair man. Everyone's voice was high. Testicles were on short supply.
Also what was considered hard rock in the 80's would likely fetch a pop title now. Rock was harder in the mid sixties. And now everything is either metal or nickleback.
I think that's why I've taken to bands that have more blues that metal in them.
I wonder if well ever get hard rock like it used to be?
Closest I've come by is the Aussie airborne. An they are pretty much like ac/dc but without all the hits.
Nothing quite like sabbath or zep. Though wolfmother had a good zeppish first album.
Hohum. Now I'm sad for music.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2012, 07:26 PM
(20-03-2012 07:23 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It was the era of tight pants and big hair man. Everyone's voice was high. Testicles were on short supply.
Also what was considered hard rock in the 80's would likely fetch a pop title now. Rock was harder in the mid sixties. And now everything is either metal or nickleback.
Closest I've come by is the Aussie airborne. An they are pretty much like ac/dc but without all the hits.
Nothing quite like sabbath or zep. Though wolfmother had a good zeppish first album.

If you like blues more than metal, have you tried out the latest Black Keys album?

Also, if you want some good heavy Sabbath, low end Zep sounding music, try Black Mountain. And while I'm on a Black kick...I also really like the Black Angels.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately I don't really like the new Keys album Sad

Only Lonely Boy stood out for me. Odd considering I have almost all of their other songs... literally... they have a shit load of songs.
Speaking of which I gotta get the Dan Aurbach solo album.

I don't know if I like these Black Mountain folk... So far I've listened to three songs, the first one had a great rhythm and average singing, the second sucked ass, and the third was ok. i'm on number four right now. I usually give bands a 5 song chance and then decide whether I can bear to hear anymore or whether I should move on.
Number 4 is pretty good.
They're almost like a mix of zep and pink floyd. Odd. Very Mellow, makes me think you smoke mary J wanna.

Listening to Black Angels now... Pretty sure these guys are time travelers.
If Radiohead had come out in the 60's....

Hahahah, while looking at Angels videos on the tube, I saw this band title,

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.

Hahahahha... listening to them now.

Meh.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
20-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Give Black Country Communion a listen if you like a blues sound.

I was drawn in by their line-up, which, depending on your taste may or may not be a good thing.

Glen Hughes of Deep Purple fame (and a brief stint with Sabbath).
Joe Bonamassa who is my favorite living blues guitarist.
Jason Bonham, son of...
And some dude I don't remember the name of but he played keyboards for almost everyone from Kiss to Malmsteem.

20-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Two words- JUSTIN BIEBER!!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-03-2012, 11:25 PM
(20-03-2012 07:23 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It was the era of tight pants and big hair man. Everyone's voice was high. Testicles were on short supply.

I'm gonna do a 'name drop' now.

My BFF's brother married Brian Johnsons (AC/DC) niece.
I tried so hard to get her to get me back-stage passes but it never happened***sad face***

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
20-03-2012, 11:33 PM
(20-03-2012 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Two words- JUSTIN BIEBER!!!!!!

[Image: clint_ew.gif]

Rora, while this is very worthwhile information worthy of no small amount of awe, but this is a thread about music for Canucks. You'll have to wait for your "A Question to Aussies" thread. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-03-2012, 08:04 PM
(20-03-2012 07:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why is it the two major Canadian hard-rock bands of the 70's/80's both feature lead singers with super high voices?

On the way home tonight I heard a song by Triumph and one by Rush. It was the first time I noticed that the singer in Triumph has a voice almost as screechingly high as Geddy Lee.

So what's up, Canucks? Something in the water? Pants on too tight? I desperately need to know!

They are the very odd men out.

Consider:
Stan Rogers
Gordon Lightfoot
Ian Tyson
Bruce Cockburn
Leonard Cohen
Garnet Rogers

Oh, wait. Neil Young. Hmmm, you may have a point.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-03-2012, 08:24 PM
(22-03-2012 08:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Bruce Cockburn

One of my favorite singer/songwriters.
My mom once saw one of his cd covers and said, "Is that really his name?"
"Yes, Mom, it is."
"Oh, how unfortunate for him."

I was dying.Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question?! Unreal 7 605 05-01-2012 04:13 PM
Last Post: Leela