A Question for the Uber Geeks...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2013, 11:58 AM
A Question for the Uber Geeks...
Late last year I built a new PC and since I'm not a gamer, I decided to use the graphics card that's built into my motherboard rather than buying one.

As games go, I do play online pool but other than that, I don't bother with gaming, I don't do video editing and I watch youtube videos... so I'm not a graphics heavy sort of user.

However, I've noticed that the video sometimes stutters if I'm playing pool and watching a video. This happens more often than not when, for instance, I'm watching a youtube playlist and one video has ended and another begins.

This is unacceptable! So, I'd like some opinions on a good graphics card that will eliminate this problem but won't set me back tons of money. I'm thinking maybe the $150.00 range as I'm not interested in cheapo cards but don't need the best of the best. I'm thinking I need a card with 2 gigs of ram but I'm not sure if that's terribly important, as I've not kept up with computer technology for the last decade or so.

Oh and... here's what it's going into:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz processor
32 gigs G.Skill Ripjaw ram
Raidmax 850W power supply
Standard optical drive
Seagate Barracuda 1 terabyte, 7200RPM HDD
Full sized tower with five cooling fans
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Thanks in advance to all who offer up suggestions. Smile

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2013, 12:44 PM
RE: A Question for the Uber Geeks...
Why on earth do you have 32 gig's of RAM?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
25-05-2013, 12:49 PM
(25-05-2013 12:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why on earth do you have 32 gig's of RAM?

^ That.

Getting 32GB RAM and then using onboard video is the textbookdefinition of a bottleneck.

And when mentioning RAM, please also mention the speed as well (like DDR3 1666mhz).

Oh, and in a minute Filox is going to reccomend a RAID controller Tongue

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
25-05-2013, 01:05 PM
A $300 card is only a little bit better than a $200 card. Let's not even think about the $800 cards... But, up to about $200 there is a substantial performance jump. Not that that'd be useful to you, if you're not doing any 3d gaming or video processing.

A Radeon 7790 is probably the single best value right now for that price point. But I'm an ATI man; you might prefer the 650.
25-05-2013, 02:02 PM
(25-05-2013 12:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why on earth do you have 32 gig's of RAM?

Because that's all that would fit. Cool

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
25-05-2013, 02:10 PM
(25-05-2013 01:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  A $300 card is only a little bit better than a $200 card. Let's not even think about the $800 cards... But, up to about $200 there is a substantial performance jump. Not that that'd be useful to you, if you're not doing any 3d gaming or video processing.

A Radeon 7790 is probably the single best value right now for that price point. But I'm an ATI man; you might prefer the 650.

I have no loyalty to brand names. But yeah, I've been looking at those two.

Specifically...

this one

and this one.

The trouble with those is that they only have 1 gig of memory... and as you can tell from the above, I have a memory fetish. Most likely because I was deprived of memory with my first computers.... mainly because in the late 80s memory was more expensive than gold. Tongue

25-05-2013, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2013 03:52 PM by Hafnof.)
Are you sure it's not your internet connection or main CPU speed that is to blame? Both have been problems for my video watching in Australia in the past. My old cpu was 2.3ish GHz, and I tend towards the High 2 or 3GHz range these days. Many problems are still solved in a single thread, including apparently video processing. When that's the case it doesn't matter how many cores you have, just how fast your cores are. Fast cores are still important and will continue to be so for some time I'd wager. Even with an (on paper) fast CPU you can still run into performance problems with RAM. i3s are the low end of the CPU range and tend to have less cache than other chips (i7s might give you something like 8MB, while i3s will give you maybe half that or less). RAM speed is also fairly important.

On the subject or RAID - it can be wonderful, but unless you are going for a battery-backed or flash-backed write cache I don't think you're going to see significant performance improvements with a RAID card. I do like SSDs, and recommend Intel SSDs if you think disk performance is a problem... but for videos I don't see why it would be, especially if you have 32GB of ram rocking.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-05-2013, 04:22 PM
You don't need a lot of video ram unless you're playing newer games, like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Metro, etc. And even then, you could play those games with more impressive results than a PS3 or 360 with either of the cards you're looking at.

You probably didn't (and never will) need all that ram, unless you're going to start running all your installed programs simultaneously... In which case, your processor would probably limit you before the ram does.

I would recommend that you:
- update flash player, directly from the adobe flash site.
- update the drivers for your onboard video, from the either the asrock site, or whichever company makes the onboard video
- update any media player codecs (if you're having a problem with media player)

If that doesn't help, grab one of those cards.

If you are set on 2gb vram, there are versions of the GTX 650 with 2gb... I see one on pcpartpicker for $118, but I'm in canada, don't know where you'll be looking.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
26-05-2013, 08:32 AM
(25-05-2013 02:26 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Are you sure it's not your internet connection or main CPU speed that is to blame? Both have been problems for my video watching in Australia in the past. My old cpu was 2.3ish GHz, and I tend towards the High 2 or 3GHz range these days. Many problems are still solved in a single thread, including apparently video processing. When that's the case it doesn't matter how many cores you have, just how fast your cores are. Fast cores are still important and will continue to be so for some time I'd wager. Even with an (on paper) fast CPU you can still run into performance problems with RAM. i3s are the low end of the CPU range and tend to have less cache than other chips (i7s might give you something like 8MB, while i3s will give you maybe half that or less). RAM speed is also fairly important.

On the subject or RAID - it can be wonderful, but unless you are going for a battery-backed or flash-backed write cache I don't think you're going to see significant performance improvements with a RAID card. I do like SSDs, and recommend Intel SSDs if you think disk performance is a problem... but for videos I don't see why it would be, especially if you have 32GB of ram rocking.

I have the fastest internet connection the cable company will sell me here and my son, who is an uber geek code monkey gamer has an i7 box with a high end graphics card, 16 gigs of ram, etc. and he has no troubles on this internet connection. He also has a gaming laptop, an iMac and his game boxes connected to these interwebz and on top of that, I have a security camera DVR on it. Plus, his wife and mine both connect with their laptops and no one has trouble but me with my shiny new too much memory box. Tongue

He advised against onboard video when I built this machine but I ignored his advise to my detriment.

26-05-2013, 08:35 AM
(25-05-2013 04:22 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  You don't need a lot of video ram unless you're playing newer games, like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Metro, etc. And even then, you could play those games with more impressive results than a PS3 or 360 with either of the cards you're looking at.

You probably didn't (and never will) need all that ram, unless you're going to start running all your installed programs simultaneously... In which case, your processor would probably limit you before the ram does.

I would recommend that you:
- update flash player, directly from the adobe flash site.
- update the drivers for your onboard video, from the either the asrock site, or whichever company makes the onboard video
- update any media player codecs (if you're having a problem with media player)

If that doesn't help, grab one of those cards.

If you are set on 2gb vram, there are versions of the GTX 650 with 2gb... I see one on pcpartpicker for $118, but I'm in canada, don't know where you'll be looking.

All drivers and BIOS are up to date and I've removed flash, cleaned the registry and re-installed flash. The pool game and, of course, youtube are both flash driven so I thought that could be it.

I'm ordering a video card and yeah... I'll go with a 2 gig card. Cause you never know, I might have a change of life thing in a few weeks and start back to playing games. Shocking