A Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 06:07 AM
RE: A Question
(03-04-2012 06:00 AM)Thomas Wrote:  Read Camus on his argument for-against suicide and you'll have your answer.

I might hafta do that, but reading philosophy is slow going for this cat. I'm still on page fifty something of my book of Kant. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Too bad Egor you fail with the very basic premise of your thread. There is much to live for on this earth without a fairy tale and an empty promise of an afterlife:
nature's beauty in my backyard, the national park, in the ocean in the universe
laughing and playing with my children
time with my wife
sex
the sense of accomplishment I gain from my work
a good meal
my awe for our scientific accomplishments and hope that I can witness even more
spending time with my dogs
a couple of beers and hotwings with my friends
a morning spent fishing on a calm lake as the sun comes up

Things I don't enjoy:
fatuous theists and their smug self proclaimed moral superiority
stupid people (i guess i am redundant there)
my nation's current political climate

So despite your flawed view on life (you've made a huge erroneous assumption about what atheists believe which is staggering in its ignorance based on how much time you've actually been on these forums) I enjoy almost every minute on this earth. I want to continue to do so as I know that my experience will end one day. My mark will be my accomplishments, my efforts to make this earth a better place and my children.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
03-04-2012, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 11:03 AM by kingschosen.)
All right, I'm not one to usually white knight... but seriously... he asked a legitimate question. It seems some of you are getting riled up just because it's Egor. Stop trying to incite inflamed responses and just answer the question.

The question isn't insulting or insensitive. It's just a question based on a conclusion from the empirical data of a system of belief. He wants to know why the empirical data is wrong and why you feel that way.

I mean, I've been asked this exact question numerous times... by many of you.

"If you believe you're going to heaven, why don't you just kill yourself and your family?"

That question is just as "offensive" as what Egor asked. What's the difference?

My time here has revealed that many of you can dish it out but can't take it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-04-2012, 08:07 AM
If a question arises from one found offensive, it is gonna carry the taint of the poster. Tongue

And waa. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
03-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Ok,

1st: I don't agree with calling life "indignity".

Now, to your question:

Although I won't be there to see it, I'd like my grand grand grand grandsons to achieve something like travel to another planets or galaxies and
even start new live there... who knows? Maybe in two hundred years we as humans will be able to do that and more and I'd like my genes to be
there.

That's my answer.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
03-04-2012, 10:16 AM
That is not a logical thing to think, not as logical as you might think. It makes me think that you're ability to think logically is skewed. Consider

I don't know where I'd get that idea from though, certainly making up your own religion doesn't at all contribute to my perception of you... Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
03-04-2012, 10:59 AM

(03-04-2012 02:51 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  That's a very selfish thing to say.

Excuse me? I didn’t say anything. I asked you a question, and your first reaction is to essentially say, “shut up.”

Quote:It seems to me you are worried about yourself.

You can’t answer the question that your own belief system implies and you want to throw it back on me.

Quote:As for me, I would like my daughter and her offspring to live a happy long life and for her to wish the same to her offspring without grand delusion. Along with a world and society knowing full well how the universe works and that it owes nothing to you.

In other words, you don’t have any reason for the human race to exist other than to keep existing, ad infinitum.

(03-04-2012 03:00 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Is that what you would do Egor, would you want to destroy the earth and all the life that lives off the earth?

If you didn't have access to the launch button, would you kill yourself instead?

Would the Veridican become yet another suicide cult?

It seems to me that you don't enjoy your life here. Do you find your life an indignity?

What are you talking about? I’m not an atheist. I have very clearly defined reasons for existing and for the human race to exist. I’m asking you why you think we should exist. And as I thought: no answer, just attack the questioner.

(03-04-2012 03:00 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Sometimes I do think the earth would be more beautiful without the human race polluting it and controlling all the animal life.

Yes, now there's an answer. That's exactly what atheism is really all about, isn't it?
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
No.

Life is a wonderful thing and I see no reason to end it because there's nothing after it. If anything, I have more reason to live this life the best I can.

I'll just leave a quote from Albert Camus:

Quote: Our proudest duty is to defend personally to the very end, against the impulse toward coercion and death, the freedom of that culture--in other words, the freedom of work and of creation.
Read his work. It's great stuff.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm a little unnerved by theists who only care about the success of future generations because of God. Hypothetically Egor, if God was proven false would you care about life?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Why do I want the human race to continue living?

Who said I did? Not as it stands now I don't. We don't deserve the lives we have for the most part. We take it too much for granted and my guess is a lot of that has to do with the implications given to life from religion. That it is merely a testing point.

Still I'd like for us to overcome our differences, and our hatred for one another and move on. Together in a world of harmony. Where we appreciate the lives we have and the short time we have to enjoy it.

If we could restrain ourselves from greed and corruption, hatred and ignorance, we could literally solve a lot of problems we face. A lot of the problems that make unhappiness. Like world hunger. Easy Peesy.

Why continue living at all? Good question really. Not one that can be answered completely. For everyone its different. For me I'm selfish and really enjoy all that the world has to offer. I want to see it. Feel it. More than that, I've got a wonderful little girl that I want to watch become a wonderful woman. I want to see who she becomes.

Now answer my questions as best you can please.

Why live forever in heaven? And what purpose is there to that?

I hear that god gives life purpose, or heaven does. That life on Earth is where we are judged. But I never understand how eternal life doing anything somehow gives life more meaning than it had before. Seems like the same thing but longer.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison