• 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
RE: A Question
See quote in my post: my thoughts on religion and life
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
(03-04-2012 02:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  I should be writing chapter two in my most current book about how to believe in God, but a question just popped into my head and I had to rush over here and ask it: As atheists, why do you want the human race to survive?

It would seem to me that if there is no God, we might as well detonate all the thermonuclear bombs and bring this indignity called "life" to an end.

Don’t you agree? I'm not trying to start a fight here. I honestly want to know what you think.

It's not as an atheist that I want the human race to survive or not. If I were a theist, it wouldn't be as a mere theist that I would want the human race to survive or not. I want the human race to survive because I like humans. Many of my best friends are humans. I don't want any of them to die before they have to. In fact, I find that I don't want any person to die when they still want to live. But that doesn't have anything to do with me not believing in God.
[+] 2 users Like Dean J. Smith's post
06-04-2012, 12:04 PM

(06-04-2012 12:00 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  It's not as an atheist that I want the human race to survive or not. If I were a theist, it wouldn't be as a mere theist that I would want the human race to survive or not. I want the human race to survive because I like humans. Many of my best friends are humans. I don't want any of them to die before they have to. In fact, I find that I don't want any person to die when they still want to live. But that doesn't have anything to do with me not believing in God.

So, then I take it you are opposed to abortion and the death penalty, right?
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
(06-04-2012 12:04 PM)Egor Wrote:  So, then I take it you are opposed to abortion and the death penalty, right?

You can't necessarily bring abortion into this one.

I don't consider a foetus to be human life. Where human life begins is down to personal interpretation.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
06-04-2012, 12:21 PM
(06-04-2012 12:04 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 12:00 PM)Dean J. Smith Wrote:  It's not as an atheist that I want the human race to survive or not. If I were a theist, it wouldn't be as a mere theist that I would want the human race to survive or not. I want the human race to survive because I like humans. Many of my best friends are humans. I don't want any of them to die before they have to. In fact, I find that I don't want any person to die when they still want to live. But that doesn't have anything to do with me not believing in God.

So, then I take it you are opposed to abortion and the death penalty, right?

Those are policy issues, and are necessarily gray areas where there are conflicts between the interests and safety of different people. I don't see how you can conclude a specific stance on them from a general valuing of human life. But I'll bite anyway.

I dislike abortion that is not medically advised, particularly the later in pregnancy that it occurs, but I still think it should be legal and available because the alternative is to force women to give birth against their will. I value human life, but it isn't the only thing I value: I also value human freedom, and don't believe using force to make a woman subordinate her interests to those of the fetus she carries is justified.

I'm against the death penalty because the error rate is too high. If guilt of murder were 100% certain and the person was too dangerous to ever return to society and a danger to other prisoners, I might be willing to make an exception in the interest of preventing more murders.
[+] 1 user Likes Dean J. Smith's post
06-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Abortion and the death pently are different situations, so you can't really compare it to the overall survival of the human race.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
07-04-2012, 08:12 AM
You do understand that if your going to reject the bible then you need to have some good solid outside evidence for the existence of Christ. Were waiting.

Other then that claiming that I don't have an accurate nature of god when I'm simply holding three things forward as a needed part of god's core as my argument is really silly. You totally failed to address the logical problem in the argument and simply tried to redirect the issue elsewhere.

You totally fail to address the idea of creation without evil or harmful choice at all and your rebuttal of "Atheists say that if Hell exists they would choose to go their anyway" says nothing on the nature of the choice. I understand your lack of belief in a fiery hell is simply the "separation from god assertion. This still does not resolve the problem of an infinite state of being handed out for a finite life. It's illogical.

Of course at this point when I call you out for trying to start another sect of Christianity with no backing except for the voices in your head you run away then face up to any further argument and try to make me out to be the bad guy.

You may wish to keep in mind that no matter how much I may swear at your or treat you like dirt it does nothing to make false any true statements I have actually made. If you don't like the way I'm treating you then maybe you should stop acting in that manner when addressing others.