A Ready Defense by Josh McDowell. Anyone ever read it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 02:20 PM by germanyt.)
A Ready Defense by Josh McDowell. Anyone ever read it?
[Image: 9780840744197.jpg]

An older guy by the name of Preston let me borrow it. I've had it for a while but never even cracked it. Supposedly it's about a scientist, geologist maybe, who goes around the world trying to disprove the Bible. In his search he discovers that he cannot completely disprove anything in it and he then becomes a Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_McDowell

Well I'm reading the guy's bio and it doesn't say anything about being an atheist or disproving the bible. Perhaps Preston had his info mixed up.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 02:24 PM
RE: A Ready Defense by Josh McDowell. Anyone ever read it?
I wouldn't be able to enjoy that read. And I love reading from different perspectives. But not that one. The idea that not being able to prove something doesn't exist can make someone believe it, is ludicrous. I can't disprove the giant teapot floating around mars just outside of our visibility. So now I am a teapotist. I can't disprove that when I close my eyes you turn into a jelly bean, the flavor of poop. SO now I am a poopbeanist. It's silly.
Shouldn't it work the other way too? I can't prove the teapot exists either, so I don't have to worship it. Matter of fact, if I had to worship everything I couldn't entirely disprove... I'd have to build so many temples, and kill sooooooo many people.

But thanks for the heads up.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
27-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I traveled to the north pole, but I couldn't prove that Santa Claus does not exist. Therefore, Santa Claus must exist.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
28-01-2012, 12:52 AM
(26-01-2012 02:16 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Well I'm reading the guy's bio and it doesn't say anything about being an atheist or disproving the bible. Perhaps Preston had his info mixed up.

gt, Preston may have been thinking about this guy. He was allegedly an atheist seeking to prove God doesn't exist and like KC, he one day magically became filled with faith.
[Image: 51pSiseKNJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic..._OU01_.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Strobel

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-01-2012, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2012 07:25 AM by Logisch.)
(28-01-2012 12:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 02:16 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Well I'm reading the guy's bio and it doesn't say anything about being an atheist or disproving the bible. Perhaps Preston had his info mixed up.

gt, Preston may have been thinking about this guy. He was allegedly an atheist seeking to prove God doesn't exist and like KC, he one day magically became filled with faith.
[Image: 51pSiseKNJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic..._OU01_.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Strobel

Lol - when i broke it to my sister that I was an atheist, she recommended I read "A case for faith" - and it was pretty much the same stuff...... well i couldn't disprove this or that, so it must be true!

I gave it at least some read (so she'd leave me alone about it). I couldn't get through the entire book. Apparently the author makes a lot of these books of atheists turned to faith... from what i see...

What I got from the book was a lot of: Can't prove this so it was that... even though there still was no concrete evidence for stuff. Several times it even says stuff in regards to scholars say the bible isn't any less credible than any other ancient books and since some stuff correlates with mathematical odds of stuff that came true in prophecy it must be true.

For instance... part of his case for faith was that the big bang was really complex, and the universe was fine tuned, so obviously that's proof there was a creator. The other part was that darwinism obviously couldn't have happened, so it must have been a creator.

If you get bored....
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Faith-Journal...0310234697

You can click the "search inside this book" and it'll let you read and preview a lot of the book. You might find it entertaining to say the least.

Needless to say, I wasn't surprised. Seems similar to a lot of the other atheist to theist stories. "I couldn't prove stuff, so it must have been a creator." I just love how they say you can't dismiss any evidence, you should study EVERYTHING. So since they couldn't use the evidence and prove all of it right, creationism and the bible must have been true. The other thing is that it really is going towards christianity, it doesn't really doesn't offer in fair value anything in other religions to the same degree. So it's basically just drawing a line again to christianity.

"I can't prove this theory is 100% right. Or this one. So this one just sounds better." is basically what I got from it. That's my opinion anyway....
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
29-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Wait what?
I can’t prove a negative so therefore it must be true?
Or is it I can’t disprove something that has no positive evidence so therefore I’ll give it the benefit of doubt and change my whole life?

Don’t let these people program your computer, it’ll divide by zero and then we’re all screwed.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
29-01-2012, 12:26 AM
I know right?

You can't prove it so it must be true! Ugh... it gets old.
29-01-2012, 01:03 AM
(29-01-2012 12:26 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I know right?

You can't prove it so it must be true! Ugh... it gets old.

well they can't prove that God does not not exist, therefore he doesn't exist Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-01-2012, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 01:14 AM by Logisch.)
[Image: 13770820.jpg]

[Image: 13770944.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
29-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Josh McDowell is pretty notorious for the average apologist line - twist the truth, ignore the other options, and then claim that everything you think and every conclusion you've come to MUST BE THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

I've browsed through his "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" and also read it's rebuttal on infidels.org - http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/j...wder/jury/ but unless someone recommends it to me or challenges me with it I don't think I'll be reading any of his books, as it appears to be the same old tripe. That might be intellectually unfair but, meh.

As for Lee Strobel - I've read The Case for Christ and while at the time it gave me pause (as I was struggling to make my way out of / into Christian faith) it's a lot of the same old crap too. Someone close to me still owes me a book from that exchange...

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 2 users Like TheSixthGlass's post