A Real Life Warp Drive May Soon Be A Reality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 09:55 AM
A Real Life Warp Drive May Soon Be A Reality
"Engage"
- Jean Luc Picard

"You know, I used to command a starship. Whaddya think of that?"
- William Shatner to a thoroughly embarrassed Kaley Cuoco on the set of a Priceline.com ad

Strange as it sounds, this may soon be a reality. Warping the fabric of space-time as a means of faster-than-light propulsion has been deemed to be physically possible since 1994, when an Albuquerque scientist named Miguel Alcubierre proposed this in a paper on the same subject. His design, however, has been deemed technically impractical, as it would require gargantuan amounts of energy, on par with the power output of a thousand suns.

But there may yet be a shortcut around this energy penalty which allows for feasible warp travel. NASA scientist Harold White has been heading a small clasndestine group of scientists and engineers studying the possibility of a new warp drive design which can propel a ship on realistic energy requirements. NASA hasn't said too much about this, but it is in the works.

http://news.discovery.com/space/history-...120917.htm

http://spaceref.com/nasa-hack-space/prop...ogram.html

http://www.technewsdaily.com/18051-star-...sible.html

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
20-05-2013, 09:57 AM
RE: A Real Life Warp Drive May Soon Be A Reality
Cool.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
20-05-2013, 10:17 AM
not soon enough though Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-05-2013, 10:35 AM
(20-05-2013 10:17 AM)nach_in Wrote:  not soon enough though Sad

Too true.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
20-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I read this awhile ago and meant to post in your other thread, made me think about you! Ha ha.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-05-2013, 01:06 PM
This will be amazing. This could be as important to our future as the invention of the wheel or harnessing the power of fire.

Hopefully, by the time we can send an actual vessel (unmanned, at first), we might be able to have two-way communications via quantum entangled particles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/20...-88-miles/

While it states: " While quantum teleportation doesn’t lead to instantaneous communication..." it is still burgeoning technology in its infancy. I remain hopeful that it perhaps could. Thumbsup

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
20-05-2013, 01:12 PM
If we do actually develop a feasible warp drive from these experiments, I suggest we call it the Rodenberry Drive or the Cochrane Drive, in honor of Star Trek.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
20-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Finally.

I can go home <sniffle>

[Image: i_can_haz_go_home_time_tshirts-rafd1a54a...ij_512.jpg]

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
20-05-2013, 01:47 PM
(20-05-2013 01:12 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If we do actually develop a feasible warp drive from these experiments, I suggest we call it the Rodenberry Drive or the Cochrane Drive, in honor of Star Trek.

That would be pretty cool. Warp has always meant to move (a ship) along by hauling on a rope attached to a stationary object on shore. It relates to a Dutch word warpen that carries that meaning. When I looked further into the word as a adjective I was happily amused to find: relating to or denoting (fictional or hypothetical) space travel by means of distorting space-time. Kinda made me smile.

It would seem appropriate to classify those elementary designs as The Rodenberry Drive series. It would officially place in history books the notion that to dream beyond the current technical abilities, really does propel people to ... you know... boldly go.... Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-05-2013, 02:15 PM
I'd like to know how they adress the issue of the energy levels and of the gravity caused tearing the ship apart. I haven't read the links yet but I will in a bit.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious