A Real Life Warp Drive May Soon Be A Reality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: A Real Life Warp Drive May Soon Be A Reality
Umm.. don't they still require some kind of exotic matter with negative mass or somesuch to get this off the ground?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
20-05-2013, 02:32 PM
(20-05-2013 02:20 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Umm.. don't they still require some kind of exotic matter with negative mass or somesuch to get this off the ground?

Yea - you'd think something organic. Propulsion would be a sticky area; you'd need something that wouldn't spontaneously crush itself.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-05-2013, 02:39 PM
(20-05-2013 02:15 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I'd like to know how they adress the issue of the energy levels and of the gravity caused tearing the ship apart. I haven't read the links yet but I will in a bit.

I believe its handled by creating a 'bubble' of space time around the ship - like putting a fish in a bucket - then squeezing the space-time continuum around that bubble.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
20-05-2013, 04:32 PM
(20-05-2013 02:32 PM)kim Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 02:20 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Umm.. don't they still require some kind of exotic matter with negative mass or somesuch to get this off the ground?

Yea - you'd think something organic. Propulsion would be a sticky area; you'd need something that wouldn't spontaneously crush itself.

It wouldn't crush itself, because the ship wouldn't move, the space around it would... If we can't got to the mountain, then bring the mountain here Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
20-05-2013, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 09:05 PM by DeepThought.)
I read that this drive if it works could generate lethal doses of radiation projected in front of the ship when it comes out of warp. Would be cool though I hope it's not used as a weapon.

I don't agree with the time travel stuff. Sure, Einstein's theory proves relativity but it doesn't rule out an absolute frame of reference. Just because we haven't found a way to access an absolute frame of reference doesn't rule out it's possible existence.

That basically means faster than light travel may be possible but going back in time isn't. That means no paradox or violations of physical laws, etc..

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
20-05-2013, 09:27 PM
How long will I have to wait to buy my tickets to the nearest Rum Cloud? Big Grin
Seriously, though, this is spectacular! When I first heard that NASA was discontinuing their Shuttle program, I thought, "WHY? WTF else have we to discover?" I think the best possible way to dispel our collective ignorance, and superstition, is to spread, at the very least, throughout this solar system. Constantly discovering; exploring non-stop! If we could travel to other systems...?...there's a BILLION stars and more to be studied. New "homes" to be found!!
Hate to sound like a zealot, but I'd pay to be the first human to die whose remains were given a burial "at sea" next to Alpha Centauri!
Call it "TheGulegon's Graveyard" Tongue

20-05-2013, 10:26 PM
(20-05-2013 01:47 PM)kim Wrote:  It would seem appropriate to classify those elementary designs as The Rodenberry Drive series. It would officially place in history books the notion that to dream beyond the current technical abilities, really does propel people to ... you know... boldly go.... Wink

That..........and it sounds a hell of a lot better than calling it the Shatner Drive! Laughat

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
21-05-2013, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 01:21 AM by Adenosis.)
This is the fifth time I've rewritten this message... Damn website went down, then lost my ctrl-c.. Ugh..

I am not a physicist (yet), so nothing I say should be taken as 'gospel' (Not that we take physicists word as gospel, but you know what I mean), and should be taken with a grain of salt.

(20-05-2013 02:39 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 02:15 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  I'd like to know how they adress the issue of the energy levels and of the gravity caused tearing the ship apart. I haven't read the links yet but I will in a bit.

I believe its handled by creating a 'bubble' of space time around the ship - like putting a fish in a bucket - then squeezing the space-time continuum around that bubble.

They want to compress and expand spacetime around a vessel where they intend on having little to no spacetime curvature. Yeah, good luck with that. Sounds to me like the first couple prototypes (or all if the project fails, which is what I assume will happen) are going to be torn apart by the gravity this theoretical manipulation of space will cause. Compressing spacetime doesn't seem like an issue for me, what the issues appear to be is expanding it (behind the vessel, in the direction opposite to movement) and creating this 'warp bubble' where the gravity from the warping will not tear the crew to pieces.

Edit: On second thought, the expansion of space behind the vessel might be a side effect of compression in front of it, although if true this still leaves the problem of how to stabilize the spacetime (the warp bubble) inside this warped space.

(20-05-2013 04:32 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(20-05-2013 02:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Yea - you'd think something organic. Propulsion would be a sticky area; you'd need something that wouldn't spontaneously crush itself.

It wouldn't crush itself, because the ship wouldn't move, the space around it would... If we can't got to the mountain, then bring the mountain here Tongue

Assuming they could create a bubble where the curving of space around the ship did not extend to, then yes. Assuming they can't, the ship would not survive.

(20-05-2013 08:56 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I read that this drive if it works could generate lethal doses of radiation projected in front of the ship when it comes out of warp. Would be cool though I hope it's not used as a weapon.

I don't agree with the time travel stuff. Sure, Einstein's theory proves relativity but it doesn't rule out an absolute frame of reference. Just because we haven't found a way to access an absolute frame of reference doesn't rule out it's possible existence.

That basically means faster than light travel may be possible but going back in time isn't. That means no paradox or violations of physical laws, etc..

Time travel to the far future is certainly possible if high enough speeds can be achieved, I see no potential set backs in this area. However traveling to the future doesn't seem very practical if your stuck there.

What would be more practical would be if instead of simple time slowing down it rewound. Then if we could perfect cryogenics we could go to the past, and just take an extended chilly nap back to our time. This would be nice for gathering specimens of dinosaurs and what not. But if this were the case there could be paradoxes.

If this warp drive technology succeeds (which I am skeptical of) then I don't think we will have any problems with paradoxes. The ship is not moving through space relative to the earth (or wherever it departed from), it is moving with space. So there should be no time dilation. At least that's my hypothesis.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

23-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Cool!

Thanks for sharing, Carlo!

Julius
26-05-2013, 03:34 AM
One prediction

The assholes who produce Ancient Aliens for the History Channel will make a new episode about an alien ship appearing in the past that looks an awful lot like this. 'Flying Saucers' will be a thing of the past for UFOlogists.

[Image: article-0-1512B1B2000005DC-600_634x414.jpg]

Watch and see if that doesn't happen.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post