A Real Workout

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2017, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 03:53 PM by JesseB.)
RE: A Real Workout
(08-07-2017 10:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 10:17 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  You know it is really one thing to give me a negative reputation rating. That is your prerogative.

But then to say: "Clown playing "supernatural" card. Also unwarranted use of terms like "friend" or "dear" seems fishy." is very insulting and harsh.

You do not know me from Adam. You have no fucking idea what I have lived in my life and you have some nerve to suggest I am disingenuous.

What you are is the politically correct thought police. If I DARE say anything outside the party line, you insult me with pejoratives like Clown.

And excuse me for not seeing in the party handbook "supernatural" was an illegal word on this forum.

My use of the words friend and dear are meant as playful humor. But go ahead and assign me as a troll out to offend people.

All I seek is an honest dialogue, with respect.

Then check your condescension at the door.

Friend and dear are almost buzzwords here, used by the new to indicate their disdain. You speak trollspeak and have therefore been seen as one.

If it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck...

I agree with this, and I'd like to add for clarity, for anyone new who may read this. Religious folks that like to troll or proselytize often (and usually in kinda an obviously passive aggressive snarky way), use these terms. They seem to think that buy putting icing on top of the pile of shit (not claiming anything anyone here has said as shit as I've not really read most of the posts yet), but THEY (pointing at religious folks and trolls) come here shit on the floor put friendly words like dear on it and think we won't smell the shit under the icing. If that makes sense.

Perhaps this can add clarity to why some here would have a strong negative reaction to such language. "Oh hun, it's not like that at all. I don't hate you. Wherever did you get that idea?" (code word for I hate your guts in southern hospitality language)

I would also like to point out, and I mean this in as nice a way as I can say it. That complaining about how people treat you is generally a good way to ensure they continue treating you in that manner. I mean it's one thing to say 'Hey I don't think I deserved that" but... if it's dragging across multiple threads like that, it's only going to increase hostility and negative reactions. (I'm sharing this as someone who was excessively bullied my whole life)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
08-07-2017, 04:01 PM
(08-07-2017 03:49 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Perhaps this can add clarity to why some here would have a strong negative reaction to such language. "Oh hun, it's not like that at all. I don't hate you. Wherever did you get that idea?" (code word for I hate your guts in southern hospitality language)

Such language is - for me at any rate - universal sign of dishonesty or creepiness. I only call people friend or dear when I want to be disrespectful; with actual friends there is no need for such language, with strangers it does not look good. It's just drip with condescension.

Or to say it shortly, nobody - in my experience at least - who says something like "look friend" is going for friendly conversation.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
08-07-2017, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 04:36 PM by JesseB.)
(08-07-2017 04:01 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 03:49 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Perhaps this can add clarity to why some here would have a strong negative reaction to such language. "Oh hun, it's not like that at all. I don't hate you. Wherever did you get that idea?" (code word for I hate your guts in southern hospitality language)

Such language is - for me at any rate - universal sign of dishonesty or creepiness. I only call people friend or dear when I want to be disrespectful; with actual friends there is no need for such language, with strangers it does not look good. It's just drip with condescension.

Or to say it shortly, nobody - in my experience at least - who says something like "look friend" is going for friendly conversation.

While I agree with you, I'm also aware that Americans can sometimes be viewed as being too nice to be trustworthy in other countries. The level of emphasis we place on politeness I agree is a natural sign of dishonesty in many ways, but not all Americans are that polite for that reason (meaning some of us had politeness literally beaten into us by our fundamentalist christian parents, I know I did. It's one of the reasons I'm so intentionally fucking vulgar and why I go out of my way to be an asshole at times. But no matter how mean I am to a person, if they stop acting like an asshat I'll start being nicer to them, I'm not the kind to hold a grudge or hate people, so the owness is on them how they want to be treated).

I'm reminded of a line from Lord of the Rings, "I think an agent of Sauron would look fairer and feel fouler" (I'm going off memory so I might be butchering this quote). The Christians I know all care a lot about how a thing looks, they couldn't care less about the substance (which is how child abuse like what happened in my family is so easily covered up. Always look perfect in public, behind closed doors dad's gonna hit you over the head with a 2x4)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
08-07-2017, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 04:52 PM by Szuchow.)
(08-07-2017 04:32 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 04:01 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Such language is - for me at any rate - universal sign of dishonesty or creepiness. I only call people friend or dear when I want to be disrespectful; with actual friends there is no need for such language, with strangers it does not look good. It's just drip with condescension.

While I agree with you, I'm also aware that Americans can sometimes be viewed as being too nice to be trustworthy in other countries. The level of emphasis we place on politeness I agree is a natural sign of dishonesty in many ways, but not all Americans are that polite for that reason (meaning some of us had politeness literally beaten into us by our fundamentalist christian parents, I know I did. It's one of the reasons I'm so intentionally fucking vulgar and why I go out of my way to be an asshole at times. But no matter how mean I am to a person, if they stop acting like an asshat I'll start being nicer to them, I'm not the kind to hold a grudge or hate people, so the owness is on them how they want to be treated).

It isn't American thing. I may be just translating my cultural norms but I can't imagine conversation going well in Poland that would start with word friend. One just don't call other person that if one want to be polite, even if older people use similar yet different form sometimes which would be translated as mr. friend (panie kolego).

From what I seen here I assume that what I wrote about Poland apply. Nothing good or smart to call unknown people friend or dear.

Lastly I'm aware of stereotype about always smiling Americans, but that's not the same as being nice or polite.

Quote:I'm reminded of a line from Lord of the Rings, "I think an agent of Sauron would look fairer and feel fouler" (I'm going off memory so I might be butchering this quote). The Christians I know all care a lot about how a thing looks, they couldn't care less about the substance (which is how child abuse like what happened in my family is so easily covered up. Always look perfect in public, behind closed doors dad's gonna hit you over the head with a 2x4)

Wouldn't thought of this. For me it's more like a - I think I'm better than you but I will hide it behind term of endearment. But using said word unwarranted kinda make all this charade pointless.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-07-2017, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 05:01 PM by JesseB.)
(08-07-2017 04:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 04:32 PM)JesseB Wrote:  While I agree with you, I'm also aware that Americans can sometimes be viewed as being too nice to be trustworthy in other countries. The level of emphasis we place on politeness I agree is a natural sign of dishonesty in many ways, but not all Americans are that polite for that reason (meaning some of us had politeness literally beaten into us by our fundamentalist christian parents, I know I did. It's one of the reasons I'm so intentionally fucking vulgar and why I go out of my way to be an asshole at times. But no matter how mean I am to a person, if they stop acting like an asshat I'll start being nicer to them, I'm not the kind to hold a grudge or hate people, so the owness is on them how they want to be treated).

It isn't American thing. I may be just translating my cultural norms but I can't imagine conversation going well in Poland that would start with word friend. One just don't call other person that if one want to be polite, even if older people use similar yet different form sometimes which would be translated as mr. friend (panie kolego).

From what I seen here I assume that what I wrote about Poland apply. Nothing good or smart to call unknown people friend or dear.

Lastly I'm aware of stereotype about always smiling Americans, but that's not the same as being nice or polite.

Quote:I'm reminded of a line from Lord of the Rings, "I think an agent of Sauron would look fairer and feel fouler" (I'm going off memory so I might be butchering this quote). The Christians I know all care a lot about how a thing looks, they couldn't care less about the substance (which is how child abuse like what happened in my family is so easily covered up. Always look perfect in public, behind closed doors dad's gonna hit you over the head with a 2x4)

Wouldn't thought of this. For me it's more like a - I think I'm better than you but I will hide it behind term of endearment. But using said word unwarranted kinda make all this charade pointless.

A fair point, my view on the matter is limited and it's possible some of both of our points have gotten lost in translation, but no worries Smile I think I understand what you mean now, and yea that does make sense dude.

Also, just a side note. Because of child abuse I view overly polite people with suspicion. I mean... I kinda don't fucking trust anyone... but I especially watch out for overly polite, or overly nice people.

Also, I'd like to point this out...
Fuck dude, who knew people who don't swear are fucking liars Smile

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
08-07-2017, 05:24 PM
(08-07-2017 09:57 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  Wow.

I am getting a real workout on this forum.

I have been a debater for many years, so I understand passionate responses and I am fine with that.

Over the years, my views have changed on certain subjects based on more information and I am proud of that fact I can change my mind and not be threatened by new information.

I have recently been accused of still have a fundamentalist mindset. That could not be further from the truth. I am striving just the exact opposite. To have a totally open mind based on new information. But I also do not close off possibilities since due to lack of evidence, I simply choose not to believe until there is evidence.

But my open mindedness is getting blasted by a few here who, IN MY OPINION, are being as fundamentalist as they accuse me of.

That's fine.

I will continue to post my ideas and opinions and take my lumps along the way.

Steve

Could you like...take all of your passive-aggressive bullshit threads and combine them into one? That'd be great.

Also, I've read your posts and there is a vein of the kind of speech and thinking found in fundamentalists and I can point it out if you would like.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
08-07-2017, 05:34 PM
(08-07-2017 03:49 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 10:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Then check your condescension at the door.

Friend and dear are almost buzzwords here, used by the new to indicate their disdain. You speak trollspeak and have therefore been seen as one.

If it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck...

I agree with this, and I'd like to add for clarity, for anyone new who may read this. Religious folks that like to troll or proselytize often (and usually in kinda an obviously passive aggressive snarky way), use these terms. They seem to think that buy putting icing on top of the pile of shit (not claiming anything anyone here has said as shit as I've not really read most of the posts yet), but THEY (pointing at religious folks and trolls) come here shit on the floor put friendly words like dear on it and think we won't smell the shit under the icing. If that makes sense.

Perhaps this can add clarity to why some here would have a strong negative reaction to such language. "Oh hun, it's not like that at all. I don't hate you. Wherever did you get that idea?" (code word for I hate your guts in southern hospitality language)

I would also like to point out, and I mean this in as nice a way as I can say it. That complaining about how people treat you is generally a good way to ensure they continue treating you in that manner. I mean it's one thing to say 'Hey I don't think I deserved that" but... if it's dragging across multiple threads like that, it's only going to increase hostility and negative reactions. (I'm sharing this as someone who was excessively bullied my whole life)

Jesse,
If you want clarity on something I say then please ask me.

If you want to add to something I say then please do.

But, please don't clarify things for me to other people. I think I speak fairly clearly most of the time. And your 'clarification' of my words may not be correct.

Thank you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
08-07-2017, 07:07 PM
(08-07-2017 10:08 AM)slw0606 Wrote:  Mia culpa.

Mea culpa

You’re welcome.

[Image: latest?cb=20111012154908]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-07-2017, 07:49 PM
(08-07-2017 10:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Friend and dear are almost buzzwords here, used by the new to indicate their disdain. You speak trollspeak and have therefore been seen as one.

Just in case I've been misunderstood all this time (kinda story of my life right now Sleepy ), when I call Girly and Bucky, and Johnny "my dear" (or other people "my friend") it's because I honestly mean it, and I do love Girly and Bucky, and Johnny.

Now, "cupcake" is a whole other story... Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
08-07-2017, 07:58 PM
(08-07-2017 07:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 10:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Friend and dear are almost buzzwords here, used by the new to indicate their disdain. You speak trollspeak and have therefore been seen as one.

Just in case I've been misunderstood all this time (kinda story of my life right now Sleepy ), when I call Girly and Bucky, and Johnny "my dear" (or other people "my friend") it's because I honestly mean it, and I do love Girly and Bucky, and Johnny.

Now, "cupcake" is a whole other story... Angel

We all do, hell I think Girly and Rob are sexy beasts for what it's worth >.>

(I have yet to see a picture of Bucky and Johnny so I can't say that for sure, but they prolly are too)

Big Grin