A Real Zombie Apocalypse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2016, 06:25 AM
A Real Zombie Apocalypse
I've been watching too much Walking Dead --- but -----

The scenario they present isn't entirely wrong.

Just the zombie part, I think..

I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about something that I've thought a fair bit about over the years. The possibility of terrorists hitting the US where it could really hurt the country - widespread - and for a long time.

The US is very dependent on a power grid, that is simply too easy to destroy. The power company experts that they had on NPR agreed with that -- and said that currently - if the grid was taken down over a large portion of the country it could be easily 18 months before power would be restored.

I contend - that if the power went out over huge portions of the country - it might NEVER recover to the current levels.

I think it'd start looking a whole lot like Walking Dead -- scavenging for food, and other supplies - and a real Darwinian process might occur.

I'm set up pretty well -- I could not cut wood -- and still stay warm through at least 3 or 4 winters. I've got enough gas on hand - that I could keep my place lit up, and my well pumping water. Plenty of food. Battery bank and inverter for quiet electricity (so as not to draw attention to myself) I'm putting in a 500 gallon insulated tank in the barn (primarily for maple syrup production) - that can be filled - then drawn off as a water source. Enough guns and ammo to protect myself. In short -- I'll survive.

How about you?

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-04-2016, 06:28 AM
RE: A Real Zombie Apocalypse
(09-04-2016 06:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been watching too much Walking Dead --- but -----

I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about something that I've thought a fair bit about over the years. The possibility of terrorists hitting the US where it could really hurt the country - widespread - and for a long time.

The US is very dependent on a power grid, that is simply too easy to destroy. The power company experts that they had on NPR agreed with that -- and said that currently - if the grid was taken down over a large portion of the country it could be easily 18 months before power would be restored.

I contend - that if the power went out over huge portions of the country - it might NEVER recover to the current levels.

I think it'd start looking a whole lot like Walking Dead -- scavenging for food, and other supplies - and a real Darwinian process might occur.

I'm set up pretty well -- I could not cut wood -- and still stay warm through at least 3 or 4 winters. I've got enough gas on hand - that I could keep my place lit up, and my well pumping water. Plenty of food. Battery bank and inverter for quiet electricity (so as not to draw attention to myself) I'm putting in a 500 gallon insulated tank in the barn (primarily for maple syrup production) - that can be filled - then drawn off as a water source. Enough guns and ammo to protect myself. In short -- I'll survive.

How about you?

Exchange the word "zombie" for Islamic and you've got it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-04-2016, 06:29 AM
I'm a huge fan of WD and play different "real world" scenarios over in my head sometimes and think about what I would do in such and such an event. This was also prompted by the fact that I backpack and some of the Outdoor Survival books I have include what to do in xyz emergency (outside of said backpacking).

I think anything happening at any time is possible (minus the zombies Wink )--especially since most people live their lives complacently and don't have any plans available to exist outside of modern society.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
09-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Every country in the world is 3 meals away from anarchy under the right circumstances, some predictable some not.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
09-04-2016, 10:56 AM
It depends. If I can get to my uncle John's "camp" maybe. He lives just outside of D.C., but owns a cabin in the woods with his own supplies along the lines described in the OP and could hold out with extended family a good 18 months easily. That said, I probably couldn't get there.

I think another good example to go with what you propose is post-Katrina New Orleans. Services like law enforcement paralyzed, food and clean water almost nonexistent, electricity almost nonexistent. The Superdome and Earnest Morial Convention Center being packed with more people than a lot of small towns have with almost no real working hierarchy to run things and dwindling supplies. If relief efforts hadn't arrived, stuff would have hit the fan quick.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2016, 09:43 AM
(09-04-2016 06:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been watching too much Walking Dead --- but -----

How about you?

It would change things for the better in the end. If the grid got taken out, we would find a way to generate power. Some that could would set up solar power. Some would find other ways. It would be devastating to the monopolies out there, but not to the entire country for very long.

As far as a real zombie apocalypse, maybe a modified rabies outbreak. Rabies crossed with modified Ebola and maybe something else. The victims would create other victims simply by touch alone and I am not sure we could contain something like that. Especially if it is capable of spreading from species to species. Everything with a large enough skull would be turned.
17-05-2016, 04:12 PM
The zombie apocalypse has already happened. Patient Zero was in Washington, DC. 40,000 died of food poisoning and starvation.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-05-2016, 04:16 AM
Most people in Britain would not survive because of our ridiculous gun control laws the only ones with any real chance are toffs who have huge estates and go hunting. The rest of us would need to be up close and personal with Mr. zombie using blades not a great recipe for long term survival.
23-05-2016, 06:21 AM
(22-05-2016 04:16 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Most people in Britain would not survive because of our ridiculous gun control laws the only ones with any real chance are toffs who have huge estates and go hunting. The rest of us would need to be up close and personal with Mr. zombie using blades not a great recipe for long term survival.

I would probably be the guy luring people in with promises of food and then eating them.
23-05-2016, 07:52 AM
My money is on a catastrophic level solar flare knocking out the power grid. The hardware needed to operate the central power grid hubs takes about a year to manufacture, and there are few if any replacement pieces on hand. The infrastructure all needs to be overhauled, upgraded, and future proofed; or else mother nature will inevitably bitch slap the fuck out of us.

Plus, how many more jobs would that help create? More than blowing up brown people on the other side of the Earth.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post