A Rock So Heavy

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
26-11-2013, 12:08 AM
RE: A Rock So Heavy
All I'm going to say is that the problem with infinities is, there are different sized infinities. So labeling anything as infinite is not that helpful. An infinite set of prime numbers is smaller than an infinite set of whole numbers, but both are infinite. Likewise a god capable of infinite logical actions is capable of less than one who is able to perform logically impossible actions as well; his infinite set is larger.

Infinities are weird. So how many people here are math majors with a firm grasp on set theory? Who thinks the Biblical authors had a firm grasp on set theory? Yeah, I didn't think so...

http://skullsinthestars.com/2013/11/14/i...-infinity/

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-11-2013, 12:15 AM
(26-11-2013 12:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Who thinks the Biblical authors ignorant iron-age goatherders had a firm grasp on set theory? Yeah, I didn't think so...

fixed!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
26-11-2013, 07:47 AM
(26-11-2013 12:15 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 12:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Who thinks the Biblical authors ignorant iron-age goatherders had a firm grasp on set theory? Yeah, I didn't think so...

fixed!

Insulting our ancestors is saying we moderns are the progeny of the ignorant. The "iron age goatherders" of Mesopotamia and elsewhere did things we're still debating today as to how they accomplished them!
26-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Are you praising their set theory, PJ, or something else specific?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
26-11-2013, 07:55 AM
PJ's merely whacking off over the keyboard as usual.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-11-2013, 08:25 AM
(26-11-2013 07:47 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 12:15 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  fixed!

Insulting our ancestors is saying we moderns are the progeny of the ignorant. The "iron age goatherders" of Mesopotamia and elsewhere did things we're still debating today as to how they accomplished them!

They built the pyramids while being entirely unaware of pathogens and how to effectively combat them. We placed human on the moon and yet live with people who believe in astral projection, tarot cards, astrology, and the second coming of Christ.

Every age has their ignorance to overcome. Our of our many challenges will be overcoming your particular brand of religious ignorance. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-11-2013, 09:16 AM
[/quote]

Of course we are the progeny of the ignorant. This my friend is called progress.

They did good stuff.. we do a lot more good stuff.. some times we find new (old) ways of doing things by looking at what our ancestors did.

Or, then again are you saying that your ancestors with their life expectancy of 32, illiteracy and poor personal hygiene, have not progressed with you?.. well you said it.
[+] 1 user Likes PursuingTruth's post
26-11-2013, 09:37 AM
(25-11-2013 09:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Because "without limit" means an infinite set and that isn't specific enough.
Specific enough, for what? Discussion? Then maybe so. But infinity, by its very nature as theists attempt to use it, can't be made more specific because it is without limits.

(25-11-2013 09:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You're speaking very lazily about a sort of necessarily-indefinite infinite-but-not-knowable concept (or rather, imputing such a conception to theists who haven't thought things through)... It's not coherent. End of story.
I agree theists haven't thought things through. I agree, the whole notion of an infinite being is ridiculous. But the concept of infinity as theists wish to apply it to their god, is clear even if ridiculous. It essentially amount to everything since it is without limits. I disagree that there are multiple conceptual meanings of infinity. Anything less than "everything" (and more precisely, infinitely more than everything and infinitely less than nothing), isn't infinity.

The problem is you're getting stuck on mathematical infinities. And that's understandable considering 1) the term originated from math, and 2) applying it to a god is nonsensical. But, my original point was, when discussing this with theists, they aren't thinking about infinity in the mathematical sense and, therefore, there aren't multiple infinities in that context. They simply mean without any limits, even if they haven't clearly thought about what the truly means.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
26-11-2013, 09:40 AM
(26-11-2013 09:37 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 09:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Because "without limit" means an infinite set and that isn't specific enough.
Specific enough, for what? Discussion? Then maybe so. But infinity, by its very nature as theists attempt to use it, can't be made more specific because it is without limits.

(25-11-2013 09:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You're speaking very lazily about a sort of necessarily-indefinite infinite-but-not-knowable concept (or rather, imputing such a conception to theists who haven't thought things through)... It's not coherent. End of story.
I agree theists haven't thought things through. I agree, the whole notion of an infinite being is ridiculous. But the concept of infinity as theists wish to apply it to their god, is clear even if ridiculous. It essentially amount to everything since it is without limits. I disagree that there are multiple conceptual meanings of infinity. Anything less than "everything" (and more precisely, infinitely more than everything and infinitely less than nothing), isn't infinity.

The problem is you're getting stuck on mathematical infinities. And that's understandable considering 1) the term originated from math, and 2) applying it to a god is nonsensical. But, my original point was, when discussing this with theists, they aren't thinking about infinity in the mathematical sense and, therefore, there aren't multiple infinities in that context. They simply mean without any limits, even if they haven't clearly thought about what the truly means.

So your point is that you have no point. Gotcha. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-11-2013, 09:43 AM
(26-11-2013 09:40 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So your point is that you have no point. Gotcha. Thumbsup
The point was infinite. How did you miss it? Ohmy Wink

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post