A Scientist Reviews the Ark Encounter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 11:05 AM
RE: A Scientist Reviews the Ark Encounter
(24-10-2016 09:25 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 08:48 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Reading the review made my head hurt. Mis-information is so easily dessimated and afterwards so difficult to cast off.

I pity the kids who are taught this shit and then try and enter an accredited college or university.

Unless they were entering a science course involving biology or evolution would creationism vs evolution come up as an issue in entry requirements? I can see colleges glossing over it if it meant filling the rosters and getting the fees in.

Maybe not always for getting in, but once in it can definitely come up. In five years of TAing and then teaching (across three states), I've had students complain four times about how I'm teaching evolution in class...while we're discussing biological theories of crime. The very first of which, coming about not long after the theory of evolution was first proposed, discusses the idea that criminals are evolutionary throwbacks.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Whilst I was looking into college types I found a site called:
The 20 Best Conservative Colleges in America

It was their lead image that got me-

[Image: zlopig.jpg]

I am not sure what this says about certain sectors of American education but, somehow, it bothers me.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
24-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Some thoughts after reading through the article:
  • Six police cruisers in rural Kentucky? They sure were scared of the atheists; sure David Silverman can get a bit loud, but he's not scary.
  • "Ken Ham has said the opening of the Ark is an important event in the history of Christendom; I suppose that merely being there was a good enough reward." - I laughed
  • The entire section on the Ark's design is hilarious, pointing out things like how Ken added to the design.
  • "Figure 4. A typical antediluvian newspaper reporter. I had naughty thoughts." Me too, my paleontologist friend. Was hilarious.
  • The entirety of the "freshwater" section, made me go...what? What is Ham smoking?
  • Figure 18, so glad he and I both thought of Thulsa Doom.
  • Clifford the Big Red Snake made me giggle.
  • Those cubit examples from Figure 46, I almost would guarentee, have been bought and used to harm misbehaving children.

(24-10-2016 12:50 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Whilst I was looking into college types I found a site called:

I am not sure what this says about certain sectors of American education but, somehow, it bothers me.

"does not accept federal financial aid and can operate without government interference" made me cringe from that link... x.x

Also I know people who have gone to the following colleges on that list:
  • Hampden-Sydney College - 1
  • Ave Maria University - 2 (both majored in Sacred Music)
  • Franciscan University of Steubenville - 10+
  • Brigham Young University - 2
  • Patrick Henry College - 1
  • Liberty University - 2
  • Grove City College - 1 (Later converted to Judaism partially to have rich new father in law repay student loans)

Also I know women who were raped by the supposedly oh so supposedly moral men who go to two of them.

Need to think of a witty signature.
16-03-2017, 04:55 AM
Read this last night, and it's hard to put into words how I feel about it.

I'm both highly amused and very disappointed that this got made. And the lengths it goes to, to explain some of the stuff in there, [for lack of a better term] JESUS CHRIST lol.

How/why are places like this open? How do people think like this and honestly function on a daily basis. It hurts my brain just thinking about it.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-03-2017, 08:40 AM
(24-10-2016 04:00 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Some thoughts after reading through the article:

[*]Six police cruisers in rural Kentucky? They sure were scared of the atheists; sure David Silverman can get a bit loud, but he's not scary.

You realize that the cruisers were likely there to protect the atheists, right?

(Also to not-so-subtly remind them to keep cool, lest the locals start going for guns and/or pitchforks.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-03-2017, 09:03 AM
(16-03-2017 08:40 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 04:00 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Some thoughts after reading through the article:

[*]Six police cruisers in rural Kentucky? They sure were scared of the atheists; sure David Silverman can get a bit loud, but he's not scary.

You realize that the cruisers were likely there to protect the atheists, right?

(Also to not-so-subtly remind them to keep cool, lest the locals start going for guns and/or pitchforks.)

Sounds right. Cars with atheist stickers, etc., get vandalized around here regularly. I don't doubt that someone caught in the act would pull a gun on the owner, after which "things are automatically going to happen", to quote the Gaimudaijin.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
16-03-2017, 03:41 PM
(24-10-2016 12:50 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Whilst I was looking into college types I found a site called:

Just turn it on its head. You don't make the poor richer by making the rich richer, for SURE. I mean, how's that been working out for us??
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
17-03-2017, 03:44 AM

Was what "got to you" the fact that Winston Churchill didn't actually say that?

It's usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln, who also didn't say it.

The actual author of the phrase is a preacher. This guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._H._Boetcker

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-03-2017, 03:58 AM
(17-03-2017 03:44 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

Was what "got to you" the fact that Winston Churchill didn't actually say that?

It's usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln, who also didn't say it.

The actual author of the phrase is a preacher. This guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._H._Boetcker

Times like these, I wish I had a time travelling phone booth, so that I could go back into the past and abduct assholes like that and bring them to the future so that I could blow their fucking minds.

First I'd show this fucker TV, right before strapping in his ass in for some all dude BDSM orgy play. Then once he was made into a sniveling crying mess, I'd kick his ass to the curb in downtown Detroit with a farewell "good luck fucker, hope you remembered your bootstraps".

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post