A Series Of Questions For Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2014, 09:14 PM
A Series Of Questions For Atheists
The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2014, 09:22 PM
RE: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
For most of us, it would be a matter of time before we decide to go to atheism since few of us were raised that way.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2014, 09:22 PM
yes and and centuries ago I also might not believe in bacteria or washing my hands after I defecate. I also might believe the world is flat.

and I also might believe that I had to sacrifice human beings to the gods for various blessings.
[+] 2 users Like Wicked Clown's post
30-07-2014, 09:37 PM
(30-07-2014 09:22 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  For most of us, it would be a matter of time before we decide to go to atheism since few of us were raised that way.

Interesting. This suggests a myriad of possibilities. Had you been raised a theist you would remain theist. That isn't necessarily true. Had you been raised an atheist you would remain an atheist, though that isn't necessarily true either.

The possibility that you having been raised one way or another may dictate the outcome, but not necessarily. Interesting because, if theist, hypocrisy is easily gauged but if atheist the paradigm engages in a series of possible shifts.

Manifesting itself in the arena of the Social. Political. Cultural. Traditional rebellion.

What, then, seems to have been an ubramundane inquiry becomes a many faceted exploration in the realm of the quixotic and the mundane.

Just as I thought it would, because, it is just that.
30-07-2014, 09:42 PM
(30-07-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  yes and and centuries ago I also might not believe in bacteria or washing my hands after I defecate. I also might believe the world is flat.

OK. Certainly is a possibility. But the Bible had some pretty stringent regulations concerning washing your hands and defication, it did not, however, suggest the world was flat. So . . . you would be pagan?

(30-07-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  and I also might believe that I had to sacrifice human beings to the gods for various blessings.

Yeah. Aztec, probably, or some other heathen clown of wickedness repast.

Somewhat conflicting response, WC. In that you would do well in the discovery of the pagan and the Bible. 'Cause, though they often seem to coincide, they don't and that is pretty well documented.

Visit Pathway Machine . . . the future is behind us. Sign my guestbook.
30-07-2014, 09:44 PM
(30-07-2014 09:42 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  yes and and centuries ago I also might not believe in bacteria or washing my hands after I defecate. I also might believe the world is flat.

OK. Certainly is a possibility. But the Bible had some pretty stringent regulations concerning washing your hands and defication, it did not, however, suggest the world was flat. So . . . you would be pagan?

(30-07-2014 09:22 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  and I also might believe that I had to sacrifice human beings to the gods for various blessings.

Somewhat conflicting response, WC. In that you would do well in the discovery of the pagan and the Bible. 'Cause, though they often seem to coincide, they don't and that is pretty well documented.

Care to back up any of your assertions?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-07-2014, 09:46 PM
(30-07-2014 09:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 09:42 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  OK. Certainly is a possibility. But the Bible had some pretty stringent regulations concerning washing your hands and defication, it did not, however, suggest the world was flat. So . . . you would be pagan?

Care to back up any of your assertions?

Do I need to? Specifically what assertions would you like for me to uh - as you say - "Back up?"
30-07-2014, 09:49 PM
1. You didn't ask a single question, let alone a series of them.

2. I've often wondered if I had it in me to believe in a god. I wasn't "raised atheist". I was raised without mention of religion (my parents are theists though). I never took the god story any more seriously than I took a Disney movie.

I am confident that beyond the age of 6 I couldn't be convinced of a god (without actual evidence). But who knows what it would be like if I was indoctrinated as a baby? Scary.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 6 users Like Adrianime's post
30-07-2014, 09:51 PM
(30-07-2014 09:42 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  

I was just responding to your statement about me having different beliefs had I lived in a different time. I didn't say it was Christian. ALSO, more than 99% of Christians rarely read or became versed in the Bible before the invention of the printing press.
31-07-2014, 12:00 AM
You're right. The bible does mention washing hands.

Mathew 15 1-7 Jesus yells at the Pharisees for daring to suggest that hands be washed before meals. Naughty.
[+] 7 users Like Hobbitgirl's post