A Series Of Questions For Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Re: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
Get to the next series of questions because these non existent ones aren't cutting it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-07-2014, 12:05 PM
RE: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

Considering the single biggest factor in determining your beliefs on most things is what you are born into and that some other place and time would lack the information we have today it is quite possible that many of todays atheist would have held the same beliefs as their parents, in most cases, if born 50 or 100 or so years ago. Damm that is a run on sentence.

It is not a lame argument, it has been studied and proven over and over that children more or less follow the parents beliefs.
31-07-2014, 12:13 PM
(31-07-2014 07:52 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I read this over, seriously, three times. I even did a CTRL+F on "?". You didn't actually ask a question. What is the first of your series of questions?
LOL, me too. I saw all the replies and I was thinking "Am I the only one that doesn't understand what the question is?" Whew, it's not just me. Laugh out load

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
31-07-2014, 12:30 PM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

I don't see a question, much less a point anywhere in your post.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
31-07-2014, 12:40 PM
(31-07-2014 05:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The Theist returns! Welcome back, sir.

I don't know if you have ever witnessed it but it fills me full of joy when I see the look on a believer's face when I drop the bomb.

The bomb goes like this... what religion would you be if your parents were Saudi muslims (or Italian catholics etc. depending on one's audience)?

The eyes widen, the jaw goes slack... just for a moment and then usually it's followed by some huffing and puffing.

Yes, we are all products of our environment, I'll grant you that but a disbelieving muslim and a disbelieving Jew and a disbelieving christian are kinda indistinguishable from each other.

Could it be that you, OP, are having difficulty with the concept of the rejection of one theistic belief vs. the rejection of all theistic beliefs?

Consider

Well said. I've had to explain this to my mother. She claims "personal experiences" let her know that the Christian god exists. I told her it's the same for Hindus and people of other religions the world over, and that she is a Christian simply because her parents were.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
31-07-2014, 12:48 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I'll provide a series of questions for atheists, since the OP won't.

1. What is your favorite drink ?
2. Is your favorite drink real ?
3. If your favorite drink is real, what kinds of snacks do you like ?
4. If your favorite drink isn't real, how can you enjoy drinking it ?
5. Can you determine if a claim is true or not or likely to be true (in the case of very odd claims) ?
6. If you can't determine if a claim is true or not, why would you believe that it's true ?
7. If I believe that I won the lottery, when I haven't and this belief makes me happy, how many friends & family members will think I'm crazy when I try to pick up the check at every restaurant and my library card is not accepted as payment ?
8. How many engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb ?
Answer 6. One to stand on the chair, while four others lift and move in a counter clockwise motion. The 6th person watches and says "I think you're doing it all wrong"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
31-07-2014, 05:58 PM
(31-07-2014 05:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I'll provide a series of questions for atheists, since the OP won't.

5. Can you determine if a claim is true or not or likely to be true (in the case of very odd claims) ?
6. If you can't determine if a claim is true or not, why would you believe that it's true ?
7. If I believe that I won the lottery, when I haven't and this belief makes me happy, how many friends & family members will think I'm crazy when I try to pick up the check at every restaurant and my library card is not accepted as payment ?
Answer 6. One to stand on the chair, while four others lift and move in a counter clockwise motion. The 6th person watches and says "I think you're doing it all wrong"

1) Black tea, with a hint of orange.
2) For nearly any conventional definition of reality, yes.
3) In general, crackers and cheese. But with that tea, I like wafer spice cookies with craisins.
4) A strong sense of imagination and/or delusion.
5) Depends what you mean by "determine". I can certainly reach such a determination, if you're not concerned about accuracy. If you are asking whether I can be correct in such a determination, again, I obviously can, under the broken clock principle if nothing else. If you're asking whether I can be confident in such a determination, unjustified confidence is something humanity has a surplus of. However, if we're concerned about reliable accuracy and justified confidence, I'd have to base my determination on good evidence. If I could find such evidence, I'd be able to come up with a determination that was probably to, and be able to express high (but not 100%) confidence in it.
6) Again, gradations of confidence come into play. I can be 90% confident of something and believe it is true, even if I'm looking for a higher level of confidence before I finalize my determination. Also, I can suffer from delusions, or simply lazy assumptions. So I guess what you mean by "determination".
7) Depends. If you told them you won the lottery and they don't get a close look at your finances to see otherwise? Probably not many. Until you pay with the library card. ... though that's a good idea, really, given everything else. If you're go to a restaurant and aren't able to pay, you should be ready to book it.
8) 6 is wrong. You need ALL of them, simultaneously skyped into the same chat, so that they can bicker over the ideal method of doing it, better light bulb design, wattage tolerances, preferred bulb types, why Engineer 37C is a stupid idiot for liking LED bulbs, why LEDs are the light bulb for purists, advantages of LEDs in general, why CRTs are supperior to LED screens, how to design a virus to burn out LED computer screens, how to design a virus to destroy a hard drive, how to design a virus to hunt other viruses, how to use that virus to win at Robot Wars, how that's over-engineering and you should just use a pair of probes on a scorpion tail design to inject a binary poly-urethane mixture into the opponent's chasis, HOW that is overly complicated because ... oh, and you also need a janitor to screw in the light bulb.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
31-07-2014, 06:17 PM
(31-07-2014 04:26 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Most everyone can be brainwashed and I like to think that everyone also has the capacity to reason. My brain in another time and place would pick apart any bullshit religion. I have a natural skeptical nature and my mind needs a reason to believe something is true.

In other words, I'm not gullible.
Place a non-gullible person in another time or another culture, you will get an atheist every time.

Place a gullible person in another time and place, you get a new member of whatever religion is in place.

You are most definitely gullible. If I tell you to think about your left foot, you do so.

Truth seeker.
31-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Re: RE: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
Finally!

Dragons breath chilled with lime.

Arg, you caught me, no.

Just because it's not true, doesn't mean it can't go down my throat smooth.

Perhaps. . .

Because I was told it's true

Trick question... You've not given me reason to think you have friends or family, so zero.

...zero, they hire the maintenance men for that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post