A Series Of Questions For Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2014, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014 06:35 PM by Reltzik.)
RE: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
(31-07-2014 06:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 04:26 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Most everyone can be brainwashed and I like to think that everyone also has the capacity to reason. My brain in another time and place would pick apart any bullshit religion. I have a natural skeptical nature and my mind needs a reason to believe something is true.

In other words, I'm not gullible.
Place a non-gullible person in another time or another culture, you will get an atheist every time.

Place a gullible person in another time and place, you get a new member of whatever religion is in place.

You are most definitely gullible. If I tell you to think about your left foot, you do so.

You're off in the definition of "gullible".

Wikipedia Wrote:Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence.

In other words, even if someone can be manipulated into fleeting thoughts about left feet, or even into irrelevant false beliefs ("I have a cousin who's a firefighter"), that's not gullibility. Gullibility requires that this manipulation or trickery manifest an ill-advised course of action, which requires that the manipulation or false belief involved is one of consequence.

So just getting someone to think about their left foot because you mention their left foot, doesn't imply their gullible. The only course of action they've taken is merely listening to your words, and processing their meaning so far as to conceptually connect them to a body part. For them to be gullible because of this, would require it to be ill-advised to listen to you at all, and that...

CRAP.

Okay, yeah, I'm gullible. NO ONE ELSE FALL FOR THAT!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
31-07-2014, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014 08:19 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

Atheism is not a "belief system". I've looked at them all. They're all based on historical fallacies and misinterpretations.

(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

Perhaps. But examined, an evaluation can be made.
If you have a better system than a Democratic Republic where humans by virtue of their humanity have inalienable rights, and are also protected from the tyranny of the majority, lets hear it.

(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

Say what ? What is the *lame* argument ?

(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

Well aren't we just the lucky ones.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-07-2014, 07:53 PM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

So you just admitted that the reason people hold their religious beliefs is due to indoctrination. You do realize that you actually just defeated your own argument that your religion deserves any kind of credibility, no?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
31-07-2014, 08:31 PM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

Yes it is very possible. I was brought up as Christian because that's what my parents were brought up as and I never knew about other religions until I was 10 years old or so.

I think that no matter what religion I was indoctrinated with I would have ended up an atheist though. I doubted Christianity when I was 7.

The thing is people can examine their premises and change their beliefs by choice. Most people never do examine their deeply held ideas but some do, like me.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
31-07-2014, 09:15 PM

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

Essentially, you're asking, 'If I were brought up somewhere else in a different period of history, without the information and understanding of the western world in the 21st century, is it possible I could swallow a fictional yarn involving a talking snake who God put there, so God could bring mankind down, then sacrifice himself to himself to save us from the shit he started?'

Without available information and a lack of knowledge of the world, it's possible I would swallow a made up explanation....

So what?

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
31-07-2014, 09:26 PM

I am late to the party but oh well.

Obviously yes! I would not even be the same person if I was born in another place and time. There for, the ME that is ME right now. Would not exist. It would be a completely different person. That person might be a theist or anything really. Although, it is still very quite possible that I could still had ended up the way I did.

It is not a lame argument. Its a logical and reasonable one that we use for people who believe their one true god is the only true god. It points out that the only reason "they" believe in what they do.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
31-07-2014, 09:42 PM

But I wasn't brought up in another time period. And I was raised in a fundamental Christian family - pretty sure that counts as a belief system. Logic had me question my beliefs, education/science are why I discarded my beliefs. I think you're missing your own point - imagining myself being raised in another belief system was actually the catalyst for my deconversion. The only thing that's lame is your pseudo-intellectual "inspired" non question.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
01-08-2014, 07:38 AM
(31-07-2014 05:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  1. What is your favorite drink ?
2. Is your favorite drink real ?
3. If your favorite drink is real, what kinds of snacks do you like ?
4. If your favorite drink isn't real, how can you enjoy drinking it ?
5. Can you determine if a claim is true or not or likely to be true (in the case of very odd claims) ?
6. If you can't determine if a claim is true or not, why would you believe that it's true ?
7. If I believe that I won the lottery, when I haven't and this belief makes me happy, how many friends & family members will think I'm crazy when I try to pick up the check at every restaurant and my library card is not accepted as payment ?
8. How many engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb ?

1: Beer

2: Yes

3: Skittles. No, this isn't a Simpsons Skittlebrau joke, and I've never tried that.

4: N/A.

5: I can approximate it in most cases well enough to get by, but I can't ever narrow it down enough to be absolutely sure.

6: Close enough works well enough almost every time.

7: Four of them will think you are crazy.

8: Six, so I've been told.
01-08-2014, 10:02 AM
(31-07-2014 05:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I'll provide a series of questions for atheists, since the OP won't.

1. What is your favorite drink ?
2. Is your favorite drink real ?
3. If your favorite drink is real, what kinds of snacks do you like ?
4. If your favorite drink isn't real, how can you enjoy drinking it ?
5. Can you determine if a claim is true or not or likely to be true (in the case of very odd claims) ?
6. If you can't determine if a claim is true or not, why would you believe that it's true ?
7. If I believe that I won the lottery, when I haven't and this belief makes me happy, how many friends & family members will think I'm crazy when I try to pick up the check at every restaurant and my library card is not accepted as payment ?
8. How many engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb ?
Answer 6. One to stand on the chair, while four others lift and move in a counter clockwise motion. The 6th person watches and says "I think you're doing it all wrong"

1. Stuff with rum in it or just rum (good aged dark Caribbean rum, not that clear bacardi crap)
2. Yes
3. M&M's, chips with dip, ice cream
4. N/A
5. most of the time
6. I would not, I would remain questioning
7. all of them
8. Nope, just one. I am an engineer and never need any help changing a light bulb.
02-08-2014, 03:26 AM
(30-07-2014 09:37 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  
(30-07-2014 09:22 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  For most of us, it would be a matter of time before we decide to go to atheism since few of us were raised that way.

Interesting. This suggests a myriad of possibilities. Had you been raised a theist you would remain theist. That isn't necessarily true. Had you been raised an atheist you would remain an atheist, though that isn't necessarily true either.

The possibility that you having been raised one way or another may dictate the outcome, but not necessarily. Interesting because, if theist, hypocrisy is easily gauged but if atheist the paradigm engages in a series of possible shifts.

Manifesting itself in the arena of the Social. Political. Cultural. Traditional rebellion.

What, then, seems to have been an ubramundane inquiry becomes a many faceted exploration in the realm of the quixotic and the mundane.

Just as I thought it would, because, it is just that.

in a way, we're all atheists when we're born, we become theists the moment we're taught religion before we are capable of critical thinking, after we start asking for evidence we slowly revert back to atheism Yes