A Series Of Questions For Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2014, 12:07 PM
RE: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
I have a question for the OP since His questions were answered. So, do you believe slavery and genocide can be justified? If not, do you disagree with God's decision to commit those acts of genocide and justification of slavery found in "sacred"
Scripture?

If not, are you smarter than God? Either you approve of God's actions and therefore approve of genocide and slavery or you don't. The answer is black and white. Which one is it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 12:31 PM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

This is idiotic right from the get go. First off that's not even an question for fuck sake. Secondly in so much as it could be considered a question it asks us if we realize it's possible implying, I think intentionally, that your assertion that it is possible is inherently true and we either know it is or we are not wise enough to realize it.
It's a word game and word games are the providence of assholes.

The main reason it's a stupid question is that the only way for it to be possible is if we are not we. You could drop me anywhere in time and any place in the damn 'verse and if I have my knowledge or even the ability to investigate reality without intervention by any hostile outside force I will ALWAYS end up an atheist.
If you take away my knowledge, take away my ability to investigate, and indoctrinate me from my childhood in a belief then ya I'll have that belief until the above list changes.

However that's not a mark against me or atheism. The fact that it's completely unassailable so long as the free pursuit of knowledge is maintained is why it's superior to the religious way. As a general rule the system that can be arrived at independently and unobstructed is superior to the one that requires indoctrination and force to maintain.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
02-08-2014, 12:34 PM
(31-07-2014 06:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You are most definitely gullible. If I tell you to think about your left foot, you do so.

How did you survive to adulthood?
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
02-08-2014, 12:47 PM
(02-08-2014 12:34 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 06:17 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You are most definitely gullible. If I tell you to think about your left foot, you do so.

How did you survive to adulthood?

He's just a fail troll. Don't bother Sleepy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2014, 12:33 AM
(30-07-2014 09:49 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  1. You didn't ask a single question, let alone a series of them.

2. I've often wondered if I had it in me to believe in a god. I wasn't "raised atheist". I was raised without mention of religion (my parents are theists though). I never took the god story any more seriously than I took a Disney movie.

I am confident that beyond the age of 6 I couldn't be convinced of a god (without actual evidence). But who knows what it would be like if I was indoctrinated as a baby? Scary.

5 pages in response to the absence of one question mark and I think the atheists have just about worked it out on their own, and are desperate to disagree with anything a theist says.

Just to recap - you never took the god story any more seriously than you took a Disney Movie and you are confident that beyond the age of 6 you couldn't be convinced of a god. That pretty much established your intellectual capacity.

If by some remarkable turn of events you mature beyond your own arguably wild expectations perhaps you could define the term god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2014, 12:45 AM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  A Series Of Questions For Atheists
The first of which is this:

1) If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

Well... that depends on the relative time and the place. In many places and times one could NOT be a non-theist. The consequences were usually death at the worst and serious (I.E. Just as fatal) ostracize-ation from society. So, on the balance, the answer would have to be 'No'.

(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  2)You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

What? Would I choose to 'opt out' of the possibly feudal monarchy or what ever political system I found myself born into? As in... would I perchance wish to move to a different country? That's... a weird question. Would I wish to 'opt out' of th current political system I find myself born into? Again, as I live in a developed, First world country with a highly successful functioning democracy the answer is again 'No'.

(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  3)I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

The 'lame argument' that people are born into the local religion of their society (Where in the religious system is not usually related to the local political system, though it can be) do seem to choose to 'opt out' and either not follow any religious beliefs or change their religious beliefs? For which there is much evidence of people doing just that?

(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  4)This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

This.... is not a question, but I (For one) would like to read/hear/peruse this "Newly inspired perspective."

Much cheers to all.
03-08-2014, 12:48 AM
(02-08-2014 12:07 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I have a question for the OP since His questions were answered. So, do you believe slavery and genocide can be justified? If not, do you disagree with God's decision to commit those acts of genocide and justification of slavery found in "sacred"
Scripture?

If not, are you smarter than God? Either you approve of God's actions and therefore approve of genocide and slavery or you don't. The answer is black and white. Which one is it?

Surprise - almost an interesting response, in that it could provide the basis for a possible interesting discussion.

When you say slavery you are probably thinking of the European and American slave trade of a more recent history, which would have been punishable by death in the time of Moses according to the Bible. I would prefer the slavery of the Bible to, lets say, the modern American penal system, but not the slavery of Thomas Jefferson's time.

When you say genocide you are probably referring to the complete destruction of an entire race of people, whereas with the Creator there would only be one race. Even the destruction of the world via the deluge of Noah's day wouldn't constitute genocide from the creator's perspective.
03-08-2014, 01:11 AM
You know the so called creators perspective how exactly?
03-08-2014, 05:33 AM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

Yeah, the point is that this is exactly what we would expect given that religion is a natural phenomenon. However, for a believer who thinks his or her faith is the "true" one and that our eternal fates somehow depend on our belief systems, well, you pointed out how, given observation of reality, that sounds really fucking stupid.
[+] 2 users Like Pickup_shonuff's post
03-08-2014, 07:09 AM
(03-08-2014 01:11 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  You know the so called creators perspective how exactly?

Its pretty well documented.