A Series Of Questions For Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: A Series Of Questions For Atheists
(03-08-2014 02:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not looking for images of a treat for DLJ.Confused

Don't worry, Girly can find something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
03-08-2014, 04:57 PM
(03-08-2014 04:50 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 02:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am not looking for images of a treat for DLJ.Confused

Don't worry, Girly can find something.

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Sock puppet for who? What'd I miss?

Huh

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-08-2014, 05:04 PM
The Theist. It's mentioned earlier in the thread by DLJ.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Ban log update please! Bangin

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
[Image: 670px-Practice-Random-Acts-of-Kindness-S...15119f.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-08-2014, 07:41 PM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

I'm late to this conversation but your supposition is that atheists only give birth to other atheists for the same reason that theists only give birth to other theists. It's environmentally influenced . However the one thing you are missing and that you didn't factor into this statement is the information that is available to the masses.

In 15th century England, if your father was a glove maker then the only thing the son could be was a glove maker. But if your son had even a smattering of education, an excellent mind and was exposed to information outside the world of glove making, you might just end up with..... William Shakespeare, the son of a glove maker and one of the greatest playwrights.

Information and education is everything.

The rise and spread of atheism is much like the rise of modern medicine and the profession of medical doctors. It wasn't available as a profession hundreds of years ago because science didn't know how the body worked, but now this information is available to anyone who can attend college and now people become doctors. People also become physicists and astronomers for the same reason. These professions didn't exist centuries ago. It's the same reason people become atheists today....information.

Yes, centuries ago people had no choice but to believe in god because that was the only thing available to them and that's what their parents believed. They also had to become farmers, sheep shearers and chamber pot maids because that's what their father or even mother did.

Thankfully the world isn't like that anymore and people can read science books and educate themselves and come to the realization that there is no evidence gods exists.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Poor sock puppet! Aren't you a little disappointed when your chew toy is taken away?
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
(30-07-2014 09:14 PM)Mini Gun Fodder Wrote:  The first of which is this: If you were born in another place and another time you realize its quite possible that you, like any theist, would likely belong to some other belief system.

You also recognize the obvious fact that the same principle would apply to a political paradigm.

I bring this up because too often the lame argument is used on behalf of the atheist.

This is just a first in a series of questions from a newly inspired perspective.

This very realization is what made me question whether my belief system could be flawed. It started me down the road that led to my atheism, and I explored a few other religions along the way. I found flaws and irrationalities in all of them.

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
04-08-2014, 07:37 PM
(31-07-2014 05:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I'll provide a series of questions for atheists, since the OP won't.

1. What is your favorite drink ?
2. Is your favorite drink real ?
3. If your favorite drink is real, what kinds of snacks do you like ?
4. If your favorite drink isn't real, how can you enjoy drinking it ?
5. Can you determine if a claim is true or not or likely to be true (in the case of very odd claims) ?
6. If you can't determine if a claim is true or not, why would you believe that it's true ?
7. If I believe that I won the lottery, when I haven't and this belief makes me happy, how many friends & family members will think I'm crazy when I try to pick up the check at every restaurant and my library card is not accepted as payment ?
8. How many engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb ?
Answer 6. One to stand on the chair, while four others lift and move in a counter clockwise motion. The 6th person watches and says "I think you're doing it all wrong"

1. What is your favorite drink ?
-Scotch Whisky-

2. Is your favorite drink real ?
-Yes.-

3. If your favorite drink is real, what kinds of snacks do you like ?
-All of them.-

4. If your favorite drink isn't real, how can you enjoy drinking it ?
- N/A-

5. Can you determine if a claim is true or not or likely to be true (in the case of very odd claims) ?
-I think I have a pretty good baloney detection kit....so...Yes, I can determine if a claim is LIKELY to be true, or in some cases, if it IS true.-

6. If you can't determine if a claim is true or not, why would you believe that it's true ?
-Ummm...cause it makes you feel good?- Dodgy

7. If I believe that I won the lottery, when I haven't and this belief makes me happy, how many friends & family members will think I'm crazy when I try to pick up the check at every restaurant and my library card is not accepted as payment ?
-This depends on how many of them share the same delusion.-

8. How many engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb ?
-None, they are busy designing the perfect light bulb.-

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"