A Sheep Among Wolves

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2011, 08:10 PM
A Sheep Among Wolves
Here I am. A 23 year old Atheist surrounded by a dozen family members. All of them fighting with each other because of their differences of opinion. They blame each other for the silliest things, things that happened years ago.
When the news was on, all I was hearing from family members was things like "God is punishing them for something," "Who cares about those damn, Muslim heathens," "Stupid 'N-word' serves them right," and so on and so forth.
They argue about politics and religious practices. They fight about the proper ways my generation was raised. They fight about which Christmas movies to watch. They fight about everything. I think the only thing they can agree on is that anyone who isn't a white christian is doomed for eternal damnation.
Part of me really wants to open my mouth and present an Atheists point of view, but the only other soul in the house that knows that I'm an Atheist is my dog. If I were to reveal to my family that I was an Atheist, I would be exiled from my own house.
So here I am, on the day of "Peace on Earth" hiding from my feuding family. The only one who is actually being peaceful is the sheep among wolves, the black sheep of the family, the Atheist.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Science Believer's post
24-12-2011, 08:21 PM
RE: A Sheep Among Wolves
(24-12-2011 08:10 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  Here I am. A 23 year old Atheist surrounded by a dozen family members. All of them fighting with each other because of their differences of opinion. They blame each other for the silliest things, things that happened years ago.
When the news was on, all I was hearing from family members was things like "God is punishing them for something," "Who cares about those damn, Muslim heathens," "Stupid 'N-word' serves them right," and so on and so forth.
They argue about politics and religious practices. They fight about the proper ways my generation was raised. They fight about which Christmas movies to watch. They fight about everything. I think the only thing they can agree on is that anyone who isn't a white christian is doomed for eternal damnation.
Part of me really wants to open my mouth and present an Atheists point of view, but the only other soul in the house that knows that I'm an Atheist is my dog. If I were to reveal to my family that I was an Atheist, I would be exiled from my own house.
So here I am, on the day of "Peace on Earth" hiding from my feuding family. The only one who is actually being peaceful is the sheep among wolves, the black sheep of the family, the Atheist.

I don't know your employment or financial situation, but 23 is old enough to be independent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2011, 08:29 PM
(24-12-2011 08:10 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  So here I am, on the day of "Peace on Earth" hiding from my feuding family. The only one who is actually being peaceful is the sheep among wolves, the black sheep of the family, the Atheist.

You could always just keep your mouth shut and become a wolf among sheep. ... just sayin' ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-12-2011, 08:38 PM
(24-12-2011 08:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-12-2011 08:10 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  Here I am. A 23 year old Atheist surrounded by a dozen family members. All of them fighting with each other because of their differences of opinion. They blame each other for the silliest things, things that happened years ago.

I don't know your employment or financial situation, but 23 is old enough to be independent.

That doesn't change the Christmas celebration with the dozen family members. Speaking of which, I get to go do that right now. Please pray for me.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-12-2011, 08:42 PM
(24-12-2011 08:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-12-2011 08:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  

That doesn't change the Christmas celebration with the dozen family members. Speaking of which, I get to go do that right now. Please pray for me.

Oh, good point. I think I misinterpreted the situation. Go with GirlyMan's idea.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Grin and bear it until you can move away. Remember, "you can never soar with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys".

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
25-12-2011, 12:41 AM
(24-12-2011 08:10 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  When the news was on, all I was hearing from family members was things like "God is punishing them for something,"

Earlier this week my mother blamed me for something that was totally not my fault (nor hers), saying that God "refused to bless her because of my atheism". That's not even good theology! I'm also a black sheep, and a scapegoat.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
25-12-2011, 04:37 AM
hmm. Now this might sound wrong but just go with it. Your family sounds so entranced by their misguided secular views that even the smallest disagreement with them could explode violently. With that said you can't overlook the benefits of having such resources at your disposal. Those kinds of people are easy to manipulate with the right words or actions. Without revealing your true standpoint I suggest you play along and bend them to your own will under the guise of some religious aspect. Utilize them to achieve your own goals then leave with out them being the wiser. Just watch your step.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
25-12-2011, 03:39 PM
(25-12-2011 04:37 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  hmm. Now this might sound wrong but just go with it. Your family sounds so entranced by their misguided secular views that even the smallest disagreement with them could explode violently. With that said you can't overlook the benefits of having such resources at your disposal. Those kinds of people are easy to manipulate with the right words or actions. Without revealing your true standpoint I suggest you play along and bend them to your own will under the guise of some religious aspect. Utilize them to achieve your own goals then leave with out them being the wiser. Just watch your step.
While I do like that idea, my personal morals would prevent me from doing that. I'm not going to pretend to be religious to manipulate my family.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post
25-12-2011, 04:15 PM
(25-12-2011 03:39 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  
(25-12-2011 04:37 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  hmm. Now this might sound wrong but just go with it. Your family sounds so entranced by their misguided secular views that even the smallest disagreement with them could explode violently. With that said you can't overlook the benefits of having such resources at your disposal. Those kinds of people are easy to manipulate with the right words or actions. Without revealing your true standpoint I suggest you play along and bend them to your own will under the guise of some religious aspect. Utilize them to achieve your own goals then leave with out them being the wiser. Just watch your step.
While I do like that idea, my personal morals would prevent me from doing that. I'm not going to pretend to be religious to manipulate my family.

I am lucky my wife and I don't celebrate Xmas at all and keep away from the rellies.

Anyhow faith is nothing to do with forcing Christianity down kinfolks throats; try and keep it cool with family........no need to agree ,just say you are going through an existential crisis and need some space. Good luck....Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post