A Small Ray of Hope?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2011, 05:13 AM
A Small Ray of Hope?
My mom posted this quote by Ray Comfort on her Facebook wall yesterday, in which he refers to the recent shooting:

Ray Comfort Wrote:As you know, over this last weekend, a crazed man shot 19 people, killing six in Tucson, Arizona. My first thought was obviously for the victims and their families. My second thought was, 'Please, don’t let this be some nut who professes to be a Christian...'

No doubt Republicans hoped he wouldn’t be a Republican, African Americans and Mexican’s hoped he wouldn’t be someone who hated whites, or wanted an open border. And no doubt they were relieved to find out that he was an atheist, who refused a Bible when offered one. But it would be unfair to blame atheism for this terrible crime, because he could have just as easily been any one of the above.

It's good to see someone acknowledging that atheism is not the root cause of all evil deeds, especially when the acknowledger is a prominent fundamentalist Christian. Especially one my family idolizes. Perhaps the world is stepping forward after all. Smile

(And yes, I made the title as a bit of a pun. Tongue)

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 06:12 AM
RE: A Small Ray of Hope?
My pessimism disagrees with you.Every group is worried about their member's behavior but I doubt we'll stop seeing comments among the lines of "Stalin and Hitler were atheists".
No matter how understanding people are , I doubt there will be "peace" in our time.
Find all posts by this user
12-01-2011, 07:07 AM
My optimism/something agrees with you. I like progress, even small steps, since very little things change in a blink of an eye.
But on the other hand, Rome wasn't built in a day, but it still burned down in a week.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
12-01-2011, 07:27 AM
One man's (albeit the voice for crazy people) facebook post doesn't comfort me. I saw how people reacted. There was so much blame going on that everyone forgot to grieve. They called him a Tea Partier, a secret Muslim, they blamed Palin's tweets and picture, they pointed out that he had a copy of Mein Kampf. Remember when a gunman would shoot innocents in America and we would say "oh that's terrible." Now we say "who's fault was it?" We're so divided into our little groups that we forget to be american citizens.

Sidenote: I'm outspoken, generally angry, own a gun, and along with Mein Kampf, I own 3 other books on Nazis. Guess everyone within a 10 mile radius is doomed.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I honestly have a hard time believing that post came from Ray Comfort, a man who firmly believes (or at least professes to) that atheists have no basis for morality. He is also of the type to not admit that atheists actually exist - opting instead for the "you know there's a God, you just want to sin" and "atheists are just angry at God" types of statements.

I seriously don't know what to make of that.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
12-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Anyone can make a less charged statement attempting to reconcile the irreconcilable following a tragedy such as this, but it is nothing more than a narrow-minded attempted appear to be sensitive if the rhetoric returns to normal following a sufficient period of time after which one may not seem insensitive by espousing one's true beliefs.
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 09:29 PM

I'll take hope when I can find it. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I would just like to point out that it is not actually know that Loughner was an atheist. He may be. Or he may be a pantheist or some kind of Hindu. All we know is that he wrote "none" on his military app under religion, and he refused a bible from a recruiter.