A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Lightbulb A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
Hello all.

I am a writer and philosopher looking to pick peoples brains and have fun doing it.

I am currently researching a book which addresses the Intelligent Design movement and the New Atheist who oppose it.

I am in the odd position where I side with the position of The New Atheist but I do not side completely with their view point and I reject most of their methods in achieving their goals.

Mostly I reject their method of debate and to some of their way of presenting Atheist views in their books.

On the other hand I am well aware that The Discovery Institute is a Conservative Think Tank that was put together with members of the Creation Science Movement.

And this was a vain attempt to legitimize teaching Creation Science in schools under a different name.

So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

Also I have a lot of Philosophical topics that interest me such as Free Will and Pantheism and anything to do with Metaphysics.

I have been to the Pantheist website and have found that the Pantheist movement is mostly by Atheist.

There is also a new movement then the New Atheist called Spiritual Atheism.

These are just a few of the ideas that I am interested in.

I do have a website but I am not here to promote my website. That doesn't mean if I made friends on here that were interested in getting to know more about me... that I wouldn't share.

But I can share anything you have questions about just by posting or answering pms.
So my main interest is in picking people brains and doing research and having fun.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 07:56 PM
RE: A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
Start a thread and pick away - I'm game.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Welcome aboard.

There is no need to pick our brains. Those here who have brains have left them smeared all over the pages of numerous threads.

We have a Philosophy section which might be a good place to start... or the Atheism vs. Theism section.

Enjoy your research.

(and thanks for not promoting your site from day one... respeck!)

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-07-2014, 09:46 PM
The plural of "atheist" is "atheists".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Well, here is your welcome shark.

[Image: Winghead%20shark.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
11-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I will definitely be posting on here on all the threads I can find. I do want to meet as many people as possible and get as many views as possible.

I really need to get as many different responses to the topics I will be bringing up in the book I am writing.

In my book I will be addressing the flaws in the reasoning of Christians like William Dembski and Michael Behe. So I must make sure that my arguments are clear and concise.

But I will also be pointing out the flaws in the New Atheists Arguments. Although it is true that there are very few flaws in their arguments there are a few.And these flaws are very significant. Since I agree with most Atheist about 90% or more it is very important to me to make sure that I am even more clear and concise when addressing the flaws of these New Atheist Arguments.

That being said I have started my own forum and at present I only have 2 other members and both of them are Christian which severely limits the variety available in both arguments and topics. And also makes me have to explain my points in way too many ways.

So I was wondering if I could post a link to my forums here in your introduction section?

I will admit that my goal is to attract more of the Free Thinker Atheist or Spiritual Atheist to my Forum. Atheist who may not believe anything a fundamentalist Christian would say and might in fact deny that any religions have any validity... but are open to at least discussing the Metaphysical questions on things like Free Will and how the Hard Problem of Consciousness might be related (Or not) to the soul. I am talking about Metaphysics not religion or Theology.

If you visit my forum you will see that I keep Christians in line as far as making Moral Arguments for God or Free Will.

I have made it clear that all Moral Arguments can only address Moral questions and any attempt to use a Moral Argument for a Metaphysical question will not be tolerated.

I have made clear to all the Christians I invite that I will be inviting Philosophers and they will probably be Atheist and that I do not consider Theology legitimate Philosophy or a branch of Philosophy.

This why I am going to Atheist boards to even the playground. And the only Christians I invite are Heretics like Progressive Christians or Universalist who don't even believe in Hell.

Hopefully some Buddhist will join as well.

But I got to start somewhere...
11-07-2014, 12:29 AM
(11-07-2014 12:05 AM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  ........But I will also be pointing out the flaws in the New Atheists Arguments. Although it is true that there are very few flaws in their arguments there are a few.And these flaws are very significant. Since I agree with most Atheist about 90% or more it is very important to me to make sure that I am even more clear and concise when addressing the flaws of these New Atheist Arguments. ..........

Hello! Big Grin

Another 'Welcome to the forums'. Smile

I'm more a lurker than a solid poster but you've got me very intrigued by the above bit I quoted. Please feel free to share your point/s regarding this bit with me. Laos, I'd not be averse to a PM with a link to your other web page. Since people might not want such links cluttering up the TA pages. Smile

Very much cheers to you and yours.
11-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Welcome!

You sound interesting.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
11-07-2014, 01:40 AM
I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I want everyone to know that I did post a new thread on here under Philosophy that you will see if you click new post.

( I think that is how it works)

Also I asked if I could post a link to my site because when I look at my profile on here I see a place for to link my website on my profile but not only is it blank ...but I do not see a way to edit this.

So if anyone does want to visit my forum just PM me.

And if anyone here can tell me how to edit my profile that would be awesome.

I am looking forward to replies to my new thread. But it is after 3am here and I got to get some sleep.
11-07-2014, 02:34 AM
(10-07-2014 07:44 PM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

Who or what are "The New Atheist" ?
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post