A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-07-2014, 02:52 AM
RE: A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
(11-07-2014 02:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 07:44 PM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

Who or what are "The New Atheist" ?

I just ate one.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2014, 06:21 AM
"Free will" is a fallacy. No one is "free" to do anything they want. Humans are constrained by many things. Free will has been "done to death" here.
Use the search function.
In Moral Theology, a "free choice" can only be made if one is fully conscious of ALL the elements of the *choice*, BEFORE the decision. Science has debunked that.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ent?page=2

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-07-2014, 06:47 AM
(10-07-2014 09:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The plural of "atheist" is "atheists".
No... actually, it's an adjective. We are athy, athier and athiest Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
(11-07-2014 12:05 AM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  I will definitely be posting on here on all the threads I can find.

OMG, a moderator's nightmare! Big Grin

Welcome. You will find all kinds here, every age group, every walk of life. We don't have a lot in common here except our disbelief. You will also find religious people here.

Moderation is very lose, this is a free speech site, so you will run into things that may be distasteful to you.

If you want stimulation for thought, you will find it here.

You already ran into one of the running forum jokes - we are a bunch of baby eating heathens.

Anyway, pull up a chair and chime right in.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-07-2014, 05:48 PM
What's up. I'm an agnostic, but I was a Philosophy and Comparative Religions dual major.

Totally worked out great for the unrelated field I'm now working in.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
11-07-2014, 05:49 PM
(11-07-2014 06:47 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 09:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The plural of "atheist" is "atheists".
No... actually, it's an adjective. We are athy, athier and athiest Tongue

I thought it was "Aphids"?

As in, "HEY APHIDS:" or when misspelled, "HEY ATHEIST:"

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
12-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Re: RE: A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
(10-07-2014 07:44 PM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

On this website,likely means you're a new atheist... But I've always disliked that lazy labeling. If you're a skeptical or agnostic atheist(which Most people on here poll as in polls of the past) you're kinda a "new" atheist.

Though apparently what I thought "old" atheists wasn't what I thought it was until a week ago. That concept confuses me.

Well, I've always been of a philosophical mind and recently spend time with a zen Buddhism follower so that's always an angle you could seek to analyze.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-07-2014, 08:22 PM
I wonder whether New Atheists include Chinese in China. PM me if you find asking a Chinese interesting.

Here's your welcome Gong Fu.

[Image: 11424209385857240882.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
17-07-2014, 11:17 AM
(10-07-2014 07:44 PM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  Hello all.

I am a writer and philosopher looking to pick peoples brains and have fun doing it.

I am currently researching a book which addresses the Intelligent Design movement and the New Atheist who oppose it.

I am in the odd position where I side with the position of The New Atheist but I do not side completely with their view point and I reject most of their methods in achieving their goals.

Mostly I reject their method of debate and to some of their way of presenting Atheist views in their books.

On the other hand I am well aware that The Discovery Institute is a Conservative Think Tank that was put together with members of the Creation Science Movement.

And this was a vain attempt to legitimize teaching Creation Science in schools under a different name.

So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

Also I have a lot of Philosophical topics that interest me such as Free Will and Pantheism and anything to do with Metaphysics.

I have been to the Pantheist website and have found that the Pantheist movement is mostly by Atheist.

There is also a new movement then the New Atheist called Spiritual Atheism.

These are just a few of the ideas that I am interested in.

I do have a website but I am not here to promote my website. That doesn't mean if I made friends on here that were interested in getting to know more about me... that I wouldn't share.

But I can share anything you have questions about just by posting or answering pms.
So my main interest is in picking people brains and doing research and having fun.

I have no problem answering questions, but perhaps you'll be so kind as well. What does "spiritual" mean?

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-07-2014, 04:16 PM

I second this question.

What is a new atheist and how does this differ from a non new atheist?
Are there old atheists? Is there a middleground where they are not new, but aren't old either. Middle aged maybe?