A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-07-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
(17-07-2014 04:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 02:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Who or what are "The New Atheist" ?
I second this question.

What is a new atheist and how does this differ from a non new atheist?
Are there old atheists? Is there a middleground where they are not new, but aren't old either. Middle aged maybe?

I think I might be an Old Atheist, or a young atheist, but possibly a middle-aged atheist, but I might also be a Middle-Aged Atheist, or some combination. I hope this cleared things up. Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I think this explains a lot too.
[Image: old-atheists-vs-new-atheists.jpg]
26-07-2014, 02:38 PM
(26-07-2014 10:09 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I think this explains a lot too.

In the good old days we were quiet because they killed us as heritics. Now that we can admit to disbelief, we are considered as militant or outspoken.

And it is us that have changed, rather than the threat upon us for merely speaking.
26-07-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2014 04:11 PM by Luminon.)
(26-07-2014 02:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  In the good old days we were quiet because they killed us as heritics. Now that we can admit to disbelief, we are considered as militant or outspoken.

And it is us that have changed, rather than the threat upon us for merely speaking.
Laugh out load That's true, there should be a cartoon with old and new theism. Torch and pitchfork-wielding villagers led by a friar vs. hippy t-shirt wearing youth group leaders, playing innocent and still raising children badly.

So I take it, atheism does not change. But atheism is a simple idea, no wonder about that. People change and who knows how? Who knows what is the right way for people to change? I know one thing for sure, it is most dangerous to change into politicians, as it happened with Christians and feminists.
27-07-2014, 09:10 AM
(26-07-2014 10:09 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I think this explains a lot too.

Fixt.

[Image: FIXT_zps63dd1860.png]

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
27-07-2014, 11:26 AM
(10-07-2014 09:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The plural of "atheist" is "atheists".

Damn - I thought it was Athei

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-07-2014, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 11:48 AM by Adrianime.)
Was this split? I feel like there are two of these threads. I'm guessing it got too long for "intros".

EDIT: My mistake, I was confusing this thread with this one "Why Do Most Atheist Let Religion Define Metaphysical Questions? "

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
04-08-2014, 04:43 AM
(11-07-2014 02:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 07:44 PM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

Who or what are "The New Atheist" ?

So there are old and new atheist ? what each of them are up to ?
04-08-2014, 04:48 AM
i am Hindu from India. Would like to participate in your research.
27-08-2014, 05:14 AM
Gary Plumley • 23 minutes ago

I had a near death experience (NDE) and my story is being rejected by religions and even the NDE community. I think I have a better chance offering my story to an open minded atheist. I am not religious but my story talks a lot about the bible and how it is very much miss-interpreted. My experience is real but it's not your typical, going thru a tunnel, seeing a bright light meeting up with Jesus, etc. I have some pieces of the puzzle in my story but people seem to want to keep the knowledge of the afterlife a mystery. Anyone dare to read my story and give me feedback?? I love feedback pos. and neg. You can find my story at: http://nhneneardeath.ning.com/...
In my story I dare to try to explain knowledge I was uploaded with when I was dead. No other NDEer tries to do that. It makes you look arrogant.