A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-08-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
Gary Plumley • 23 minutes ago

I had a near death experience (NDE) and my story is being rejected by religions and even the NDE community. I think I have a better chance offering my story to an open minded atheist. I am not religious but my story talks a lot about the bible and how it is very much miss-interpreted. My experience is real but it's not your typical, going thru a tunnel, seeing a bright light meeting up with Jesus, etc. I have some pieces of the puzzle in my story but people seem to want to keep the knowledge of the afterlife a mystery. Anyone dare to read my story and give me feedback?? I love feedback pos. and neg. You can find my story at: http://nhneneardeath.ning.com/...
In my story I dare to try to explain knowledge I was uploaded with when I was dead. No other NDEer tries to do that. It makes me look arrogant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Hi Gary,

The link goes nowhere.

Which is cool because we don't usually allow links in a first post.

Welcome.

27-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Ok, thanks, DLJ...I can't see how I can delete my post. I'll keep trying.
30-08-2014, 04:25 AM
A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers
Which New AtheistS are you intending to address?

In my experience, Fundie ID is in opposition to not only the College Angry Atheist type, but Humanism in all forms, and any non-Christian faith in general.

Your OP reads as if you are either Evangelical or a Conservative Christian youth.

Which is wonderful: I'm a combative agnostic competitive religions major who works in a largely Evangelical office environment; and couldn't ask for a better work experience.

Great people, far more intelligent than I on a lot of matters.

What's your angle? As someone raised Christian, are you willing to examine the views of others to come to a common understanding?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
30-08-2014, 05:56 AM
(27-08-2014 05:15 AM)Garyplumley Wrote:  My experience is real ...

Real to you. While I don't doubt you experienced something, without corroboration it can only be said to exist in your mind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2014, 06:02 AM
(27-08-2014 09:31 AM)Garyplumley Wrote:  Ok, thanks, DLJ...I can't see how I can delete my post. I'll keep trying.

You cannot delete your post.

Only those of the Patricians can perform such an act; 'tis far out the realm of we mere plebeians.

As I understand it, the post deleting restriction is something of an anti cheating method, you know 'no take backsies!' sort of thing.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-08-2014, 11:59 AM
(11-07-2014 12:05 AM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  I will definitely be posting on here on all the threads I can find. I do want to meet as many people as possible and get as many views as possible.

I really need to get as many different responses to the topics I will be bringing up in the book I am writing.

In my book I will be addressing the flaws in the reasoning of Christians like William Dembski and Michael Behe. So I must make sure that my arguments are clear and concise.

But I will also be pointing out the flaws in the New Atheists Arguments. Although it is true that there are very few flaws in their arguments there are a few.And these flaws are very significant. Since I agree with most Atheist about 90% or more it is very important to me to make sure that I am even more clear and concise when addressing the flaws of these New Atheist Arguments.

That being said I have started my own forum and at present I only have 2 other members and both of them are Christian which severely limits the variety available in both arguments and topics. And also makes me have to explain my points in way too many ways.

So I was wondering if I could post a link to my forums here in your introduction section?

I will admit that my goal is to attract more of the Free Thinker Atheist or Spiritual Atheist to my Forum. Atheist who may not believe anything a fundamentalist Christian would say and might in fact deny that any religions have any validity... but are open to at least discussing the Metaphysical questions on things like Free Will and how the Hard Problem of Consciousness might be related (Or not) to the soul. I am talking about Metaphysics not religion or Theology.

If you visit my forum you will see that I keep Christians in line as far as making Moral Arguments for God or Free Will.

I have made it clear that all Moral Arguments can only address Moral questions and any attempt to use a Moral Argument for a Metaphysical question will not be tolerated.

I have made clear to all the Christians I invite that I will be inviting Philosophers and they will probably be Atheist and that I do not consider Theology legitimate Philosophy or a branch of Philosophy.

This why I am going to Atheist boards to even the playground. And the only Christians I invite are Heretics like Progressive Christians or Universalist who don't even believe in Hell.

Hopefully some Buddhist will join as well.

But I got to start somewhere...

Welcome!

While I don't like the term 'spiritual,' it's the closest thing I can use to describe my journey as an atheist...following certain principles of Buddhism. I'm following specifically Mahayana Buddhism...

Look forward to your threads. Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart
30-08-2014, 01:31 PM
(11-07-2014 12:02 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well, here is your welcome shark.

[Image: Winghead%20shark.jpg]

Scalloped hammerhead, Spyrna lewini Smartass

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-08-2014, 02:08 PM
(27-08-2014 05:15 AM)Garyplumley Wrote:  I had a near death experience (NDE) and my story is being rejected by religions and even the NDE community. I think I have a better chance offering my story to an open minded atheist. I am not religious but my story talks a lot about the bible and how it is very much miss-interpreted
Yeah, can't find your story.

But I guess it must be a bit of a mind fuck. Going through something as psychologically traumatic as near death.

Having memory of a journey within that "near death" time. Your perception of gaining knowledge.

It must seem very real to you.

Interesting that you like your experience back to the bible. What relevance has the bible got in your NDE?
30-08-2014, 02:15 PM
(10-07-2014 07:44 PM)thespiritualanarchist Wrote:  Hello all.

I am a writer and philosopher looking to pick peoples brains and have fun doing it.

I am currently researching a book which addresses the Intelligent Design movement and the New Atheist who oppose it.

I am in the odd position where I side with the position of The New Atheist but I do not side completely with their view point and I reject most of their methods in achieving their goals.

Mostly I reject their method of debate and to some of their way of presenting Atheist views in their books.

On the other hand I am well aware that The Discovery Institute is a Conservative Think Tank that was put together with members of the Creation Science Movement.

And this was a vain attempt to legitimize teaching Creation Science in schools under a different name.

So I am here to do research for my book on how the average Atheist feels about The New Atheist and the topics they debate and the methods that they use.

Also I have a lot of Philosophical topics that interest me such as Free Will and Pantheism and anything to do with Metaphysics.

I have been to the Pantheist website and have found that the Pantheist movement is mostly by Atheist.

There is also a new movement then the New Atheist called Spiritual Atheism.

These are just a few of the ideas that I am interested in.

I do have a website but I am not here to promote my website. That doesn't mean if I made friends on here that were interested in getting to know more about me... that I wouldn't share.

But I can share anything you have questions about just by posting or answering pms.
So my main interest is in picking people brains and doing research and having fun.

Welcome. My interests are similar to yours and happy to open any discussion on philosophical topics.
For some recent OBE/NDE stuff see:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...experience
Love to hear your opinions via threads or PM or email.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]